Diverse Departure Question/concern

James Hines

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
James
It is my understanding that an airport which has been assessed by the FAA for an instrument approach will also be checked for an ODP/diverse-departure.

The Obstacle Clearance Surface (OCS) or 40:1 ratio applies if no ODP or SID are assigned, yet there is an IAP assigned.

Based on that I am confused how the airport N14 checks the diverse departure assessment. When I look at FAA Take off mins, I see that this airport notates 'Rwy 19, trees beginning 16’ from DER, 1’ left of centerline, up to 136’ AGL/152’ MSL.'

To me, that sounds like there is a tree which is 136 ft high, 16ft from the end of the runway. How could this airport pass the assessment?

Just looking to learn. TIA!

It is my understanding that an airport which has been assessed by the FAA for an instrument approach will also be checked for an ODP/diverse-departure.

The Obstacle Clearance Surface (OCS) or 40:1 ratio applies if no ODP or SID are assigned, yet there is an IAP assigned.

Based on that I am confused how the airport N14 checks the diverse departure assessment. When I look at FAA Take off mins, I see that this airport notates 'Rwy 19, trees beginning 16’ from DER, 1’ left of centerline, up to 136’ AGL/152’ MSL.'

To me, that sounds like there is a tree which is 136 ft high, 16ft from the end of the runway. How could this airport pass the assessment?

Just looking to learn. TIA!
AIM 5-2-9 e. 4.

guessing you have to know your planes takeoff distance to clear that obstacle. thats the procedure. also, you can have an IAP w/ODP. Note, "T" on approach plate.
though in this case, it does seem odd a tree right at the DER. Thinking at a standard rate of 152ft/nm, that would only get you to 36FT clearance at 16FT from DER.

The issue here is that the trees are probably closed-in obstacles which are not part of the ODP’s guarantee (I believe pilots are still responsible for see and avoid of all closed-in obstacles). The “T” in the approaches is suppose to give you a clue about it.

If you can depart 35 DER and maintain a 200 ft/nm climb gradient and not penetrate the 40:1 OCS, the airport is eligible for a diverse departure.

Back