Disturbing Air Marshal Arrest

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
When I think of Air Marshals, I think of a proud patriotic person, willing to risk his/her life to protect the rest of us on board. then i see this...

From USATODAY:

Two federal air marshals pleaded guilty Monday to drug and bribery charges for accepting money to smuggle cocaine on a flight to Las Vegas. The two marshals -- Burlie L. Sholar III, 38, and Shawn Ray Nguyen, 32 –- admitted that they took $15,000 “to use their positions as air marshals to bypass airport security and smuggle 15 pounds of cocaine,” writes The Associated Press. The men were arrested in February as part of a sting operation. The Houston Chronicle adds the arrests “raised concerns about airport security,” with prosecutors contending that Nguyen has smuggled other items through security and that he “he didn't care what the briefcase contained.” Along with the guilty plea, Sholar and Nguyen agreed to cooperate with prosecutors, who say the investigation will continue. However, officials are uncertain whether more arrests are imminent. "We will have to wait and see where the investigation leads us," says Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark McIntyre. One Homeland Security Department agent who testified during hearings on the case claimed that Sholar threatened Nguyen, saying that "his life wasn't worth anything" if Nguyen offered information that incriminated other air marshals. Sentencing is scheduled for July 10, according to Reuters/Airwise.
Sigh.

Last edited:
Where ever you have positions of power and authority, you'll have people willing to abuse those positions. Just a sad fact of life. These guys wouldn't have gotten caught if other LE types hadn't taken care of business.

There is certainly no reason to change your view of Air Marshals, IMHO, any more than there is reason to view all pilots as terror threats because of 9/11.

Joe Williams said:
There is certainly no reason to change your view of Air Marshals, IMHO, any more than there is reason to view all pilots as terror threats because of 9/11.

Oh, I agree Joe. Its just one of those jobs, at least I didnt think , could be corrupted. But your right.

Joe Williams said:

True

Joe Williams said:
Where ever you have positions of power and authority, you'll have people willing to abuse those positions. Just a sad fact of life. These guys wouldn't have gotten caught if other LE types hadn't taken care of business.

There has been statements made by some long time Air Marshals is that perhaps shortcuts in hiring and training were made to just up the bodies that are AMs after 9/11. While the article does not speak to this point, I wonder if what those AMs had said may be true, and what is being done to make sure stuff like this or worse does not happen again.

smigaldi said:
There has been statements made by some long time Air Marshals is that perhaps shortcuts in hiring and training were made to just up the bodies that are AMs after 9/11. While the article does not speak to this point, I wonder if what those AMs had said may be true, and what is being done to make sure stuff like this or worse does not happen again.
I wish the article mentioned how long they had been air marshalls. Hopefully it'll be mentioned in followups.

gprellwitz said:
I wish the article mentioned how long they had been air marshalls. Hopefully it'll be mentioned in followups.

I am sure that those that are putting forth that argument will be responding to these arrests if it fits their theory.

Michael said:
When I think of Air Marshals, I think of a proud patriotic person, willing to risk his/her life to protect the rest of us on board. then i see this...

From USATODAY:

Sigh.

There are good ones and bad ones just like in anything else.

Back