Distracted and under pressure

with ya on that, but at my school there ain't any 6 packs. it sucks to get used to an advanced equipment like G1000 and get spoilt and then come back to reality with 50 yr old 6 pack gauges :mad::mad:

Funny thing about that perception...I also trained in a G1000 as my primary. Knowing that I wanted to buy and I would most likely not be spending the money on a G1000, I had my CFI book some time with a 6 pack panel plane towards the end of my training cuz I had the same concerns as you. It was a no brainer for me and a non issue to go that way.

I ultimately unexpectedly wound up with a plane with a partial glass panel. Aspen PFD display with full 6 pack steam gauges as well still. Even though I have the full digital glass readout right in front of me 9 times out of 10 now I am flying by the steam gauges even though I am one that is loves technology and gadgets.

Funny thing about that perception...I also trained in a G1000 as my primary. Knowing that I wanted to buy and I would most likely not be spending the money on a G1000, I had my CFI book some time with a 6 pack panel plane towards the end of my training cuz I had the same concerns as you. It was a no brainer for me and a non issue to go that way.

I ultimately unexpectedly wound up with a plane with a partial glass panel. Aspen PFD display with full 6 pack steam gauges as well still. Even though I have the full digital glass readout right in front of me 9 times out of 10 now I am flying by the steam gauges even though I am one that is loves technology and gadgets.

hopefully that would my experience too, the other day i flew a 182 with round gauges, it was a test flight and only instrument i even looked at in that 15 min flight was the ASI, tried scanning the others for a few seconds, but didn't work out very well, i defaulted back to when the G1000 is off and i am mostly flying by ASI only

hopefully that would my experience too, the other day i flew a 182 with round gauges, it was a test flight and only instrument i even looked at in that 15 min flight was the ASI, tried scanning the others for a few seconds, but didn't work out very well, i defaulted back to when the G1000 is off and i am mostly flying by ASI only
You didn't even look at the MP gauge? How did you execute the after-takeoff checklist? 23 inches is a lot less than full throttle.

You need to get out of that G1000.

Aspen PFDs don't usually exist with a full six pack. They need to replace at least one instrument, and usually replace two (e.g., the DG and AI, with the AI relocated to replace the VSI and function as standby). If they don't, the scan becomes really weird.

Aspen PFDs don't usually exist with a full six pack. They need to replace at least one instrument, and usually replace two (e.g., the DG and AI, with the AI relocated to replace the VSI and function as standby).

OK, Mr 6 Pack Police..busted.;)

Yes, my CDI replaced the DG so not a "true" six pack but point being is that having both on board I tend to fly more by the steam gauge needles than the digital even after having trained on full glass. So for me for some reason the transition was easy back and forth.

You didn't even look at the MP gauge? How did you execute the after-takeoff checklist? 23 inches is a lot less than full throttle.

You need to get out of that G1000.

Aspen PFDs don't usually exist with a full six pack. They need to replace at least one instrument, and usually replace two (e.g., the DG and AI, with the AI relocated to replace the VSI and function as standby). If they don't, the scan becomes really weird.
CFI-owner did that for me, I didn't even know what a MP was before I set foot inside the plane. Later on, I took a initial intro to HP flying at my home drone, read up on MP and Constant speed prop and then my CFI showed me how to use it, so I know it now, but at that point, I had no clue.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

WannFly.. I must have missed your initial just joined post... where is home base for you? (City/state)

Pre-solo hood work? Is that a normal thing? I don't remember doing any and I know my copilot didn't. (She's a solo student at this time)

Pre-solo hood work? Is that a normal thing? I don't remember doing any and I know my copilot didn't. (She's a solo student at this time)
nothing about me is normal :aureola::aureola:. if u read the first thread I posted, I had some issues with banking and after I switched to the current CFI, the first thing he did was put me under the hood and asked me to just follow the flight director, it was like video game for me. after 30 mins he switched the PFD off and I was flying only with back up instruments (actually I was flying to practically no instruments since I was horrified to even interpret the backup instruments). it took a while, but he exactly knew how to handle my situation. now i do 45 degree and 60 degree bank without blinking an eye. the next hurdle i faced was turbulence, while i am not 100% over it yet, day before yesterday flew in 15G25, light Turb with medium chops and didn't bother me at all. landing in that wind is a whole diff ball game though.. i royally suck at it

more fun tomorrow ... TAF says 23G33 when i am supposed to fly :confused::confused:

Your instructor is doing a massive disservice to you if you don't go up.
Every PPL student - at some point - should go up in actual MVFR, and when winds are +25kts (not necessarily at the same time obviously).

Your instructor is doing a massive disservice to you if you don't go up.
Every PPL student - at some point - should go up in actual MVFR, and when winds are +25kts (not necessarily at the same time obviously).

o I am going up, that's for sure (I did go up a week or so up in 19G30), that's the only way I will get used to this stuff and I have already told him I will do at least another 3 hrs in actual IMC, may not be minimums, but 600-700 ceiling or fly thru clouds to get the feel of actual IMC. from what I read, hood work and actual IMC are two complete different beasts.

o I am going up, that's for sure (I did go up a week or so up in 19G30), that's the only way I will get used to this stuff and I have already told him I will do at least another 3 hrs in actual IMC, may not be minimums, but 600-700 ceiling or fly thru clouds to get the feel of actual IMC. from what I read, hood work and actual IMC are two complete different beasts.
Foggles aren't THAT different if you take it seriously and don't peek, especially if you do the hood work at night.

You need to work on strategy about how you're going to master the firehose. You won't get there by examining every drop of water.

change of plans... icing :mad::mad:

Did you really curse on radio? I'd probably have just followed that up with, "Student pilot - sorry." and left it at that. The "Student Pilot" thing is like the "magic hand" in traffic. You get a "pass" when you say that! :p

I accidentally dropped the F bomb on the unicom just after getting my license. I was on a deadline - trying to get my friend to a job interview in the neighboring state. I was running up and it kept failing the mag check. My friend in a Comanche taxied by and said, "Having some issues there?" to which I replied, "Yeah, mag check is no good. Seems like I always have some sort of issue in this ****ing plane." (Usually something minor like the GPS).

I taxied back to the ramp and the airport manager gave me a lecture on radio etiquette. Apparently there had been a girl scout troop on a tour standing by the FBO radio when I said it.

To this day I don't even say "damn" on the unicom anymore.

change of plans... icing :mad::mad:

Just bring extra cake...

Especially if the instructor is named GlaDOS.

Please be advised that a noticeable taste of blood is not part of any flight test protocol but is an unintended side effect of the Airport Diner Grill, which may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

I never had calm winds either, but on the night flight it was just a few kts down the runway.
The one thing this did for me, was to (finally) let me concentrate on the vertical components of the landing without being so distracted by the horizontals.
I was able to learn the hold off and slow pull back as authority bleeds away much better than in the crosswinds.
Now I think I can more automatically apply those, which will allow me to focus more on learning the crosswind corrections.
So I agree that learning both is important, but learning them separately can also be very beneficial.
19G30 is a big bite for a new pilot. I can attest.
While baby steps and sippy cups might not sound attractive to our macho brains, falling down really hard won't feel good either.

omg...is that last part the dumbest post ever?
I'll start a vote.
+1

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back