Display mode behavior or user error?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
I have my preferences set to Display Mode Hybrid, yet when I click into a thread, I end up in Threaded mode and have to change it to Hybrid in that thread. Display mode is reset back to Threaded when I leave that thread and come back into another one.
Regardless of if I click into a thread from the title, and end up at the first message, or click on the last message icon and open it, I always end up in Threaded Display mode.
Ideas?
Thanks.
Greg

Greg:

I can't see anything wrong with your profile off hand, and testing it myself everything seems to be working properly. May I suggest you try changing your view mode back to linear, saving, and then logging out and back in again and changing it back to Hybrid.

That should clear the cookies on your system and update your settings.

If that doesn't do the trick, let me know - I'll keep looking for more info on my end meanwhile.

CH

will do... futher oddity ... in a long (more than 9 replies) thread, I select Hybrid (again) and it displays msgs 1-9 and a "more messages below this depth" or similar... click on that note and it displays the next msg (#10) back in threaded mode... change to Hybrid and I'm back to msg 1-9 again... stand by for the reset! :)

I don't usually use hybrid mode, but I believe the reason it cuts off at a certain depth is to prevent the load on either the server OR on your browser from being too intense. I think it takes the current thread you are looking at and works down from there to determine how much depth to show.

Can you reference a thread where you're seeing this behavior so I can confirm?

Greebo said:
I don't usually use hybrid mode, but I believe the reason it cuts off at a certain depth is to prevent the load on either the server OR on your browser from being too intense. I think it takes the current thread you are looking at and works down from there to determine how much depth to show.

Can you reference a thread where you're seeing this behavior so I can confirm?

Reset preferences to Threaded, logged out and came back, reset preferences to Hybrid, logged out and came back - display mode still defaulting to Threaded. Then.... went to a long thread "Greebo needs a new avatar" to get the details of the odd behavour and now it's working as I would expect - my display mode is staying in Hybrid and the blocks of msgs are displaying in groups of 9; I'm able to move to the next group of 9 without problem. Gremlins be gone... :)

Greg

Wierd. Hmm what browser are you using?

Greebo said:
Wierd. Hmm what browser are you using?

Mosaic 1.0 on SCO Unix? ... nah, just kidding - having flashbacks! I'm using Firefox 1.0.0 ... just downloaded the 1.0.1 patch but have not applied yet.

Out of curiosity, and bear with me cause I'm not a Firefox user, is your install of Firefox set to cache anything? I've often found that with IE, if caching is enabled at all, that important client scripts, cookies and the like can lag behind and odd behavior results.

In my case, I always set my browsers to reload everything on every visit to a page.

Well, I'm a seasoned veteran of about 24 hours of Firefox use, but I just checked settings and caching is enabled. There isn't an on/off selection there, but there is a setting for max disk space to use for cache. I rolled it down to very small, assuming that should force a reload of nearly everything.

Greebo said:
Any firefox pros here that can chip in?
Not a pro but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently. :D

In your user.js file, make the following adjustments:

Specify the memory cache usage

Normally, Firefox determines the memory cache usage dynamically based on the amount of available memory. To specify a specific amount of memory cache, add the following code to your user.js file:

// Specify the amount of memory cache:
// -1 = determine dynamically (default), 0 = none, n = memory capacity in kilobytes
user_pref("browser.cache.memory.capacity", 4096);

To disable the memory cache completely, add the following code:

// Disable memory cache:
user_pref("browser.cache.memory.enable", false);

Restart Firefox to take effect.

Mom!!!!! It's doing it again!!!! :)

View mode set to Hybrid, but the display is coming up threaded mode. Changed my options to threaded, saved, logged out. Came back, changed options to hybrid, saved, logged out, came back and the display is still threaded mode. I give up - I'll use threaded...

dang gremlins! It's working correctly again. I went back to forums, resigned that I will read in threaded mode and it's back to hybrid! :confused:

Did you make the changes from your User CP area? I did it from the threads page and got the results you did. I went over to User CP and it worked.

Carol said:
Did you make the changes from your User CP area? I did it from the threads page and got the results you did. I went over to User CP and it worked.

Yep. First thing I did after seeing it was misbehaving this morning was to make the changes to my saved options from the User CP menu. But, it's working now, so I'll just plug on...

...and it's doing it yet again this morning!!! I guess I'll just log out and log back in as my first activity when coming here?

gkainz said:
...and it's doing it yet again this morning!!! I guess I'll just log out and log back in as my first activity when coming here?

Sorry, I can't help you. I set mine up in User CP and it has worked fine since then.

Carol;
Do you log out when you're done here, or just close the browser?
Greg

gkainz said:
Carol;
Do you log out when you're done here, or just close the browser?
Greg

Depends.

End of day or AFK I log out and close Firefox. Otherwise it's open.

Back