Disorientation on final

Up to half of all the instrument instructional hours should be devoted to basic attitude instrument (BAI) flying, including partial panel, and it should be the prerequisite for any approach procedure training. Learning how to do a 180 to exit IMC is a good skill to master in a PPL program but approach procedures are an entirely different animal altogether. Without BAI mastery even the simplest of non-precision approach in IMC is ill-advised. It is better to first learn how to avoid IMC, how to maintain control when in the soup, then how to get out if inadvertently flying into it. When all of that is truly mastered, then approach training can begin. Any instrument approach training before that is setting up the student for a false sense of security that will increase the probability that they will make the highly probable fatal decision to continue flying in IMC without adequate preparation.

I can count on one hand with fingers left over of the number of 180's under the hood I actually was asked to execute in PPL training or any training since. Of the 9 (or so) CFI's I've flown with, NONE of them extolled the virtue of the 180. If there was any discussion of flying by reference to instruments it was left to me to determine the best course of action AFTER reading and interpreting the instruments and maintaining Straight and Level flight as primary goal. It is perhaps this mantra that gets pilots killed VFR into IMC (?) or perhaps it is the 180 by a non-competent pilot in a real situation that kills (?).

Discuss?

I can count on one hand with fingers left over of the number of 180's under the hood I actually was asked to execute in PPL training or any training since. Of the 9 (or so) CFI's I've flown with, NONE of them extolled the virtue of the 180. If there was any discussion of flying by reference to instruments it was left to me to determine the best course of action AFTER reading and interpreting the instruments and maintaining Straight and Level flight as primary goal. It is perhaps this mantra that gets pilots killed VFR into IMC (?) or perhaps it is the 180 by a non-competent pilot in a real situation that kills (?).

Discuss?

Somebody dropped the ball: Private PTS Area of Operation IX, Basic Instrument Maneuvers, Task D, Turns to Headings. None of your instructors used a syllabus? :confused:

Bob Gardner :nonod:

Somebody dropped the ball: Private PTS Area of Operation IX, Basic Instrument Maneuvers, Task D, Turns to Headings. None of your instructors used a syllabus? :confused:

Bob Gardner :nonod:
Agree with Bob...Jay, you need to personally go back to all 9 of those CFI's and kick 'em in the junk.

I have been tested on my ability to perform a standard rate turn hooded and I know how long a minute is.

Back