Dismissed DUII 6 years ago, can I still get a class 1 medical and become a pilot?

H

HBish

I want to become a pilot! I got a DUII in Oregon about 6 years ago. I refused the breathalyzer (bad advice from a friend going through law school) and my BAC came back at .17. The charge was dismissed through completion of diversion. Is this going to make it so that I can't get my first class medical?

I'm trying to figure out what documentation I need to complete to take to the AME. I'm going to get a SAE from someone with a CADC. I'm getting a court certified copy of my driving record from the last ten years. Also, I'm requesting information from municipal court to get as much information about my incident as possible.

With that, is this worth perusing? Any other information that I would need? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You're going to have to have a good HIMS AME, and you're going to need to consult with him probably before you begin the application procedure. There are at least two here on the boards who will be along shortly...

Your post is confusing. Where did the high BAC come from if you refused?

It, however, makes no difference. With a high BAC (or a refusal) on your record, the FAA is going to assume that you have a serious drinking problem to the point of developing an alcohol tolerance.
This is going to take a while since the FAA puts non-working pilots on the back burner and the priority handling is slow enough to begin with.

You're going to need a lot of paperwork you can start putting togehter now: Your driver's history for everywhere you were licensed to show this was a one time thing, plus all the documentation on this arrest. Before they issue they're going to want to see a lot of proof of COMPLETE ABSTINENCE plus some determined attempt at treating (even if it is the completely ineffective AA, and we're not talking about one AA meeting a week).

Understand that if you want to fly, you can't touch a drop of alcohol anymore.

yes, but many hoops to jump through. This forum (medical) is replete with threads of such.

I want to become a pilot! I got a DUII in Oregon about 6 years ago. I refused the breathalyzer (bad advice from a friend going through law school) and my BAC came back at .17. The charge was dismissed through completion of diversion. Is this going to make it so that I can't get my first class medical?

I'm trying to figure out what documentation I need to complete to take to the AME. I'm going to get a SAE from someone with a CADC. I'm getting a court certified copy of my driving record from the last ten years. Also, I'm requesting information from municipal court to get as much information about my incident as possible.

With that, is this worth perusing? Any other information that I would need? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

How exactly does one refuse a chemical test and get a result?

When I refused the breathalyzer, they did a blood draw, the result was .17. But with a refusal they change it to .999 which means refusal.

How do I prove complete abstinence? And if it doesn't mean just one day a week, what does it mean? Do I need to be going to daily meetings? I am getting a Substance Abuse Evaluation to take to the AME.

Along with the SAE, I'm compiling court records of my arrest, my personal statement, my driving record. Anything else? Do the documents need to be court certified?

Do you have contact info for the good HIMS AMEs?

When I refused the breathalyzer, they did a blood draw, the result was .17. But with a refusal they change it to .999 which means refusal.

How do I prove complete abstinence? And if it doesn't mean just one day a week, what does it mean? Do I need to be going to daily meetings? I am getting a Substance Abuse Evaluation to take to the AME.

Along with the SAE, I'm compiling court records of my arrest, my personal statement, my driving record. Anything else? Do the documents need to be court certified?

Do you have contact info for the good HIMS AMEs?
I assume they had a warrant for the blood draw?

Well, you've got the list of what is required. Discouraging? shouldn't be. Like the 52 year old automechanic who is now an ER Doc, that was featured on "60 minutes" recently, the time will pass no matter what. You might as well get the items done!

Well, you've got the list of what is required. Discouraging? shouldn't be. Like the 52 year old automechanic who is now an ER Doc, that was featured on "60 minutes" recently, the time will pass no matter what. You might as well get the items done!

Exactly. The soonest anyone can start anything is RIGHT NOW.

You had a reply upthread from one of the very best, @lbfjrmd . You might PM for info on how best to proceed.
And now you have had a response from the other "Best" AME.

PS, Personal comment here, but one of the very best things about POA is the quality of the two AMEs that frequent this board and offer free advice that really is extremely valuable and worth way more than you pay for it, even if you do wind up paying for it.

Complete abstinence means complete abstinence. Going in, you show it via an evaluation from a HIMS psych and it's backed up by periodic tests. As for the AA/Rehab, from one of Dr. B's previous posts on the subject: You go to rehab. 160 hrs accredited. 90 AA meetings logged in 90 days. Urine testing....after ~8 months to HIMS psychiatrist + HIMS psychiatry evaluation. If favorable at year end you can get a 3 year special issuance, monitored,First Class. But for that you have to “Get it”.

Thank you so much to everyone for all of the replies! Everyone on here is so encouraging and positive!

Discouraged? The exact opposite, in fact! I'm happy to see that even though it will be a tough road, at least I can still walk down it. I'm really passionate and willing to do whatever it takes, so you're right @bbchien , "the time will pass no matter what. You might as well get the items done!"

I've been collecting information from other people's cases on this forum and slowly starting to put it together. It's taken a lot of research and investigation, but I'm slowly starting to figure it out, especially with help from all of you, thank you!

Follow up question.

How do I find the following in my area?:

Who may perform a psychiatric evaluation?
Psychiatric evaluations must be conducted by a qualified psychiatrist who is board-certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology or the American Board of Osteopathic Neurology and Psychiatry, and must either be board certified in Addiction Psychiatry or have received training in the Human Intervention Motivation Study (HIMS) program. Preference is given for those who have completed HIMS training. Using a psychiatrist without this background may limit the usefulness of the report.

Google “FAA HIMS AME list” and find a HIMS AME near you. A competent HIMS AME will know of a good one or two nearby.

Having a bit of trouble finding someone FAA approved. Can someone recommend someone in the Eugene/Portland Oregon area?

yea, i see there is only one in the entire state. Part of the costs. You will likely have to travel to your HIMS-AME. It's only about 4 visits till granted SI, then 2/year for the next 5 or drug/alcohol (or lifetime of flying if its a SSRI SI).

yea, i see there is only one in the entire state. Part of the costs. You will likely have to travel to your HIMS-AME. It's only about 4 visits till granted SI, then 2/year for the next 5 or drug/alcohol (or lifetime of flying if its a SSRI SI).

Great, thanks!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back