disease spreading

JHW

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Wright
there is no getting rid of these things. This one popped up near our place last week. I sometimes spray the field behind that tree line.

Attachments

• cell tower.JPG
    cell tower.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 253
It was interesting around these parts for a while when they were tapping the Barlett Shale for the natural gas. We had a large boom of drilling derricks all over the place for a time.

Fortunately they are gone and not a hazard to aircraft.

But a benefit to the airport was that a few very productive wells are on the airport property. And the city did a good thing (for once) by earmarking any revenue from the wells to go toward upkeep and expansion of the airport.

Around here (i.e. then NE), it's diseases. The Cell towers are popping up everywhere but are outnumbered by Windmills. Worse than that they end up on the top of the mountains !

But a benefit to the airport was that a few very productive wells are on the airport property. And the city did a good thing (for once) by earmarking any revenue from the wells to go toward upkeep and expansion of the airport.

If they have accepted FAA grants, they are obligated to do that.

Texas has quite a few tall ones (2000 AGL). Tall enough to get your attention and effect air traffic. I have no idea why they need to be that high, but here we are.

there is no getting rid of these things. This one popped up near our place last week. I sometimes spray the field behind that tree line.

Get rid of your cell phones, 3G or 4G capable devices, and encourage your friends, family, and neighbors to do likewise. These are the known disease vectors.

Texas has quite a few tall ones (2000 AGL). Tall enough to get your attention and effect air traffic. I have no idea why they need to be that high, but here we are.

What function are the Tioga Twins? Those two big boys will really get your attention on a run to Cedar Mills if you're not keeping aware of where you are and flying at 3000 MSL or lower.

You can "spruce" them up and make them look like trees but they still stand out like a sore thumb.

You can "spruce" them up and make them look like trees but they still stand out like a sore thumb.

The fake trees look worse than the towers.

Plus, towers are beautiful. Thinking about putting up a couple of hundred-footers at the house. ;)

Are we talking about cell towers or drilling rigs? I think drilling rigs need to be tall so they can install a long section of pipe at a time. Someone who knows better can correct me. The only reason I suspect this is that they brought a little rig to replace my water well pump and it seems that's what they told me. Drilling rigs are not permanent, though.

I was referring to cell towers. I'd like to see them dress an oil rig up like a tree though. :)

When I was flying pipeline, a new one would spring up nearly every week. Not a big problem except when vis was <1/2 mile, then it was a bit disconcerting. The good thing is they don't have guy wires...

There's a cell tower in the next subdivision dressed up like a stock tank windmill. It's not all that tall, though. About six months ago the windmill part blew off in a storm but they put it back up.

I did a survey (in Denver) for a cell tower they were going to disguise as a church steeple.

Lots of things are cell towers, and most people have no idea. Really tall flagpole with a giant American flag in a sorta strange location? Cell tower. Very I characteristically tall light pole on one side of an intersection? Cell tower.

If you don't like them, get rid of your cell phone.

I did a survey (in Denver) for a cell tower they were going to disguise as a church steeple.

Lots of things are cell towers, and most people have no idea. Really tall flagpole with a giant American flag in a sorta strange location? Cell tower. Very I characteristically tall light pole on one side of an intersection? Cell tower.

If you don't like them, get rid of your cell phone.

I like the flag ones. The site manager who replaces them brings out the big flag he pulled least season and hangs it on the radio tower for special events. ;)

He also gets a free beer at the VFW for dropping beat up ones there for proper disposal ceremonies. :)

Back