Discussing GA Risk with Family / Friends

Perhaps these " earthlings"that know you well are factoring in the total time you have flown, the time they have known you and how well you react to certain situations, or what your flying might be of interest if they know it's fifty years old, etc. a good long time pal who flew p2vs, went on to 35 years with eastern replied when I offered him a ride in my Stearman, "burn that old dog, you don't know where it's been.!" He wanted no parts of GA.

Funny you bring this up....

I know about 30 airline jockeys... maybe 25 are retired and the rest are still actively flying for the majors..

A rough guess would put 45% in the " I will NEVER get in a GA /Small plane.

45% don't care but will not fly in GA stuff..

10 % are absolute airplane fanatics and own at least one GA and most have either built an experimental,, or are flying one the was previously built..

Strange how the aviation bug bites people in different ways...:confused:..:rolleyes2:

I know about 30 airline jockeys... maybe 25 are retired and the rest are still actively flying for the majors..

10 % are absolute airplane fanatics and own at least one GA and most have either built an experimental,, or are flying one the was previously built..

Strange how the aviation bug bites people in different ways...:confused:..:rolleyes2:

Yes that's very true. So it's easy to see both sides of the story.

Most all of the retired airline guys I know are the same way, they won't go near bug smashers. I knew one that liked GA and had a Stearman, he got in a terrible accident in it, dropped aviation entirely and bought a boat.

Wow, suicide comes in at #6, 1:119. That is a seriously 'wow' number.

Really? I guess I knew that. As dad used to say, "At least they made a decision."

So many float along through life with no ability to decide what they want, let alone ability or guts to decide to go after it, that someone deciding they're done and not interested anymore, really doesn't surprise me at all.

I'm guessing no one has the guts to say, "he died doing what he wanted to" on suicide, though... like we spew religiously after someone screws up and balls up an airplane.

If I ever screw up and kill myself in an airplane, I sure hope no moron comes to the remembrance and spews that crap. No, crashing and dying was NOT what I "loved doing", idiot. Flying safely was.

(My wife is authorized to kick anyone saying this at my funeral squarely in the cojones, by the way. If that unfortunate turn of events were to occur.)

Anyway... Someone wants to check out, fine by me. We should allow them to do so in a non-degrading way. We don't. It's sick that we make them hide it, and be found by a loved one or public safety person. Often when they start to stink.

You've said it yourself. Nature fixes things all the time. Overpopulation tends to be because things are so easy that even the lazy eat, right? The prevalence of depressive/self-destructive mental disorders and the likeliness it's based in genetics, seems to corroborate your theory.

If your genes are made up of the "give up on life easily" type, but society feeds and clothes you, you end up having to take action to accomplish what would have happened, if you sat and didn't hunt/fish/survive in harder times.

Many don't take the action even. They just float along, being miserable. Others choose to quit more actively. The gene pool loses the types that don't want to be here. Seems kinda natural.

Sad? Sure. But inevitable. Do people around them blame themselves? Sure. All natural. Can some be persuaded life is worth living before doing it? Sure. Some. Not all. Again, natural.

Harsh. But reality. Some people do not want to live.

Oh, I understand the various reasonings behind suicide, I was just surprised at how high the number really was. It's not natural to want to kill yourself, it requires an imbalance in nature. If the number was driven by population adjustment alone, I wouldn't expect it to be so high. So like you say, people fail to find direction and value, so give up on living. That is the sad thing, that people don't understand their purpose.

The high suicide rate is an affliction of civilization. Same as being fat or being awake in bed hours after sundown typing on a stupid phone. We ain't built for this much comfort and entertainment.

The high suicide rate is an affliction of civilization. Same as being fat or being awake in bed hours after sundown typing on a stupid phone. We ain't built for this much comfort and entertainment.

Correct. See the heart disease blob on the graph... A life of well-fed comfort will lead to a lot of that kind of death...

All pretty predictable.

Oh, I understand the various reasonings behind suicide, I was just surprised at how high the number really was. It's not natural to want to kill yourself, it requires an imbalance in nature. If the number was driven by population adjustment alone, I wouldn't expect it to be so high. So like you say, people fail to find direction and value, so give up on living. That is the sad thing, that people don't understand their purpose.

Like Steve Martin in The Jerk, I have found my Special Purpose. ;)

I guess I will stick around for a while. :) :) :)

Oh I believe we're built for it just fine, we just don't utilize it well because we don't understand what it is for and why. Until we understand our purpose, we will have this problem.

Back