Discovery to Udvar-Hazy next week

My brother is planning to come up & see the dedication next week. I expect he'll want to see the fly-by.

That is neat!

I think my son will be in DC on that day for a field trip.
Never mind, it is later in April. :(

Last edited:
From DC Pilots Yahoo Groups...

The time has now been announced: between 10:00 and 11:00 EDT on Tuesday,
2012-04-17. The precise route hasn't been announced, but it is likely to
include the National Mall and surrounding suburbs. Altitude is 1500' (AGL,
presumably).

Weather is, as always, a factor. Don't make concrete plans until the day
before...

Yeah, I believe officially they're still working out what they're going to do for fly bys because of issues involved with the "last time" (which was 20+ years ago when they delivered Enterprise to Dulles and did both DC and Baltimore beltway flybys). Many people are planning a massive tailgate party in the U-H parking lot (and boy they're thinking that space might get tight and so will traffic on 28 getting into the facility so CAR POOL might be a good idea).

Hopefully they'll do a pass near the museum.

The demating unfortunately is going to be taking place a long way from public view. The only place big enough is the large "de-ice" block between 1L and 1C. (I actually used our software to mensurate all the Hazy ramps to see if there was any chance they could get enough clear area there).

They are going to tow Discovery down and set it out with Enterprise nose to nose on the Hazy ramp on the shindig days (Thursday)?

I don't think they're going to taxi/tow the transporter down.

After that they tug Enterprise back up and mate to the transporter (Note: black side down) and take it up to NY.

I don't think the Intrepid folks are going to act on my suggestion that it would be easier to move the Intrepid over near Kennedy and back again rather than trying to barge the Enterprise over there.

Note that all this needs reasonable VFR weather for the whole ten day sequence (from KSC to Dulles to NYC) so keep an eye on the weather and the official museum sites.

[DISCLAIMER: I am NOT affiliated with either the National Air and Space Museum, NASA, nor Intrepid....I'm just relaying scuttlebutt that's flying around here].

Last edited:
I'm thinking of requesting the day off from work to fly over to IAD.

Yeah, I believe officially they're still working out what they're going to do for fly bys because of issues involved with the "last time" (which was 20+ years ago when they delivered Enterprise to Dulles and did both DC and Baltimore beltway flybys). Many people are planning a massive tailgate party in the U-H parking lot (and boy they're thinking that space might get tight and so will traffic on 28 getting into the facility so CAR POOL might be a good idea).

Hopefully they'll do a pass near the museum.

The demating unfortunately is going to be taking place a long way from public view. The only place big enough is the large "de-ice" block between 1L and 1C. (I actually used our software to mensurate all the Hazy ramps to see if there was any chance they could get enough clear area there).

They are going to tow Discovery down and set it out with Enterprise nose to nose on the Hazy ramp on the shindig days (Thursday)?

I don't think they're going to taxi/tow the transporter down.

After that they tug Enterprise back up and mate to the transporter (Note: black side down) and take it up to NY.

I don't think the Intrepid folks are going to act on my suggestion that it would be easier to move the Intrepid over near Kennedy and back again rather than trying to barge the Enterprise over there.

Note that all this needs reasonable VFR weather for the whole ten day sequence (from KSC to Dulles to NYC) so keep an eye on the weather and the official museum sites.

[DISCLAIMER: I am NOT affiliated with either the National Air and Space Museum, NASA, nor Intrepid....I'm just relaying scuttlebutt that's flying around here].

Pretty much right on the nose from what I was told last time I worked at Hazy about a month ago.

:idea:
attachment.php

Attachments

• NASA Humor.JPG
    NASA Humor.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 38
The other tidbit is WTOP (FM 103.5, 103.9, 107.5) is rumored to be putting shuttle/transporter position reports on their "Traffic and Weather on the Eights" feature.

For those in the parking lot with scanners/handhelds, I suggest 125.8 which is the final Dulles approach frequency.

Back