Discovery Landed

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Anyone else catch the landing? I got on to NASA TV as it was about 10 miles high and caught it. Simply amazing. Coolest part was there was an overcast in Florida today so they got a little bit of actual on the descent. Didnt take them long to plow through it though!

I was watching on the netcast and also the major networks switched to it about 5 minutes before touchdown. Very cool! They nailed the HUD.

I left the NASA tv link up while working on some stuff and caught the shuttle commander's brief closing comments before they left the runway in the personnel van. I don't know why it struck me as funny, but when he finished speaking he, and the line of astronauts next to him, turned around and walked back towards the shuttle. After a couple of steps he realized the van was the other direction and in unison they all did a 180 and headed the other direction....I guess spinning around the earth a few hundred times can get you a little disoriented.

I used to live just north of Tampa, 175 miles from Canaveral. The shuttle would come over our house and the twin sonic booms would shake the dust off of the miniblinds in all our rooms as well as scare the bejeezus out of you. If you were real quick, you could get the TV on just in time to see it touch down.
Once we got up at 3AM to see if we could see the night launch. It ws a clear night and the flame from the SRB's caused us to cast a shadow on the front of our garage, from 175 miles away!
If you EVER EVER get a chance to go see one launch from Titusville, DO NOT pass it up. It is one of the most awesome sights in the world. That thing is NOT slow. Is goes up like, well, like a rocket.:yes:

and from everything ive heard, the Saturn 5 made the shuttle look like an estes rocket. Man I wish i wouldve been able to see one of those go.

Back