Discovery flight

Ramprat75

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Delta75
Well I finally took a discovery flight this past Tuesday and it went great. Still undecided if I would like to pursue a PPL. Was anyone in a similar situation when you started flying?

Take a lesson if you like it take a second one. You'll either get bored, broke, or a ppl. Pretty easy.

I took one of those $5.00 Discovery flights back when Cessna was printing them on the backs of magazines. Long before that though, I knew I wanted to be a pilot and fly planes.

Had the bug ,for years,the discovery flight sealed the deal.

If you are undecided then that might be your answer there. It takes commitment and money to learn to fly. No one can do it for you.

Wait a month or two, or even until the heat of summer is here and see if you want to try it again.

If you're undecided, you probably don't like it enough.

Maybe try another one?

I knew I wanted to do it before my first intro flight... the flight just cemented it in my head, and I started primary training a month later.

If you are undecided then that might be your answer there. It takes commitment and money to learn to fly. No one can do it for you.

Wait a month or two, or even until the heat of summer is here and see if you want to try it again.

Thank you everyone for the reply's. Money is not an issue but since I'm close to finishing my two year degree I will be attending college from January to May and I have decided to take another Discovery flight around the end of the semester and this time I think I will try a different airport and go from there. I think part of the issue might be is that I feel I don't have the confidence to do it and I know that's just a mental thing.

Thanks

I also forgot to mention I don't want to get on with the big airlines or anything, I would just like to get my PPL and do it as a hobby. Been looking into Civil Air Patrol and flying clubs in the area so I can get more into aviation.

... I think part of the issue might be is that I feel I don't have the confidence to do it and I know that's just a mental thing.

Thanks

You will have to acknowledge this and move on past this point if you are going to go for your PPL. There will be things that will come naturally to you and it will feel right, and there will be a few road blocks that make you question if you are actually making progress. You have to anticipate this and know you are going to push through these moments.

Honestly flying is not for everyone, however if you think it might be for you and you are interested enough to take not 1 but 2 discovery flights then you might just need to figure out how to settle your nerves and go for it. It amazing the transformation from your discovery flight into your checkride. At least for me its seems like its both taken forever and flew right by. Its not till the end do things really seem like they are coming together and you are actually going to be a pilot. If you accept this fact and just focus on one thing at a time it will go alot easier with the expectation that it will all fall in place at the end.

Don't waste the time/money on flying unless you really enjoy doing it. Do a few lessons and see how you feel about flying around the plane. There are plenty of people who are 'into' aviation that don't actually fly airplanes. Look for aviation based social clubs, or join CAP but keep in mind that's more of a military themed boy scout organization.

I found my discovery flight in a helicopter alluring.
I began flight training and the more I flew the more I discovered loved about it.
I grew to love experiences that a ground bound person cannot imagine.
Aviation now brings me more joy that I ever imagined possible.

Back