Discovery Flight tomorrow (Saturday)!

Conan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Kyle
I'm starting to get more excited....I have a discovery flight scheduled for noon tomorrow. The only downside is, I can't start lessons until at least September for lack-of-cash reasons. Therefore, August is going to be painful. But, assuming it doesn't rain tomorrow it'll be a good day. I'm off to review the anti-motion-sickness procedures for my wife, and possibly myself. We'll see! Kyle

Have a great time! I just took mine like 6 weeks ago or something, and it was awesome. I haven't looked back since.

I got to do all of the taxi-work, 2 take-offs, a couple of normal turns, and a landing! It was a day I'll never forget.

What kind of plane will you be in, do you know?

It's a 172 with, probably G1000. I'm really, really, hoping my wife enjoys it so I'll have an easier time explaining why school loans can wait and plane loans car start. Only sort-of kidding. Kyle

Can still remember my discovery flight that was over a year ago. It's certainly the start of an incredible journey. What is amazing is on the one year anniversary of my flight I repeated the same flight as my discovery flight by myself with my Private pilot license in my wallet and just reflected throughout the entire flight on how amazing it is to be able to fly. Enjoy the ride tomorrow and make sure to look out the window at the views- believe me you won't crash if you are not staring at the panel in front of you, something that I did throughout my discovery flight.

On a practical note, you mentioned motion sickness- it's a real concern if you have never been in a small plane before. Even on a nice day, if there are clouds in the sky, even the puffy white ones, you will have turbulence. Just go prepared with something to use in case you get sick and you'll be fine. I would not worry about it to much because you'll probably be enjoying the flight so much you'll forget to get sick!

On a practical note, you mentioned motion sickness- it's a real concern if you have never been in a small plane before. Even on a nice day, if there are clouds in the sky, even the puffy white ones, you will have turbulence. Just go prepared with something to use in case you get sick and you'll be fine. I would not worry about it to much because you'll probably be enjoying the flight so much you'll forget to get sick!

The best thing is not to focus on this and psych yourself out. Hopefully the instructor will allow you lots of time on the controls. This worked the best for me early on since my mind was busy flying, I felt that I had control over what was going on and the bumpiness of the air was no big concern.

Enjoy the flight! You'll have a great time!

It's not my first time in a GA, but it has been awhile (12 years?) since I was last in the front seat of one. Typically I don't get motion sick, but my wife has in the past on a small (30') boat off Belize. More importantly, she'll be in the back while I'm in the front. I'm actually more concerned with her not being busy-minded and that affecting her.

Thanks for reminding me to look out. Maybe, while cruising along, I'll pretend everything's INOP for a bit. Should be a fun trip. Kyle

It's not my first time in a GA, but it has been awhile (12 years?) since I was last in the front seat of one. Typically I don't get motion sick, but my wife has in the past on a small (30') boat off Belize. More importantly, she'll be in the back while I'm in the front. I'm actually more concerned with her not being busy-minded and that affecting her.

Why not let her sit in front. Who knows, she might get hooked and then it would be really easy to convince her!

I'd forego the G1000 if you have a choice. They don't make sense for primary training, as people tend to look inside the aircraft the whole time. IFR is another story entirely. Frankly, I find anything made by Garmin to be a distraction with a poorly designed interface, that needs a positive reason to be used rather than "it's there." They have simpler GPSs that make more sense for primary training (especially 430 and 530).

A good discovery flight will have you on the controls any time you're more than 100 feet off the ground, perhaps plus taxiing. Make sure the flight is at least an hour from engine start to parking, or it won't be enough to get a really good taste. You do need to get out of the pattern.

Enjoy yourself. I'd also encourage you to put your wife in the front seat, but not in place of you. In addition (i.e., a second hour).

A trick to minimize the turbulence is to go early. The crack of dawn if you can (and you can get a flight instructor to roll out of bed). Right after sunrise, the ground is cooler than the air (in aviation parlance, it's "inverted"), which makes for smooth, stable air. It's also the coolest time of day. The only downside is if you're near a large upwind body of water, you can get marine layer from it, which would prevent your flight until it burns off.

Last edited:
I'd forego the G1000 if you have a choice. They don't make sense for primary training, as people tend to look inside the aircraft the whole time. IFR is another story entirely. Frankly, I find anything made by Garmin to be a distraction with a poorly designed interface, that needs a positive reason to be used rather than "it's there." They have simpler GPSs that make more sense for primary training (especially 430 and 530).

A good discovery flight will have you on the controls any time you're more than 100 feet off the ground, perhaps plus taxiing. Make sure the flight is at least an hour from engine start to parking, or it won't be enough to get a really good taste. You do need to get out of the pattern.

Enjoy yourself. I'd also encourage you to put your wife in the front seat, but not in place of you. In addition (i.e., a second hour).

A trick to minimize the turbulence is to go early. The crack of dawn if you can (and you can get a flight instructor to roll out of bed). Right after sunrise, the ground is cooler than the air (in aviation parlance, it's "inverted"), which makes for smooth, stable air. It's also the coolest time of day. The only downside is if you're near a large upwind body of water, you can get marine layer from it, which would prevent your flight until it burns off.

I guess all the time I had behind a G1000 really ruined me as a pilot. It's a wonder I can fly at all. ;)

I guess all the time I had behind a G1000 really ruined me as a pilot. It's a wonder I can fly at all. ;)

Well, I have no idea how you fly, aside from it being good enough to pass a DPE. I'm sure the temptations can be overcome with some effort. But I don't see any training advantages at all, and several disadvantages.

Having flown both steam and glass, I really don't like the temptations to stare inside the aircraft, and I'll gravitate to steam gauges for that reason. Perhaps with a Garmin 430 or 530 if I'm going somewhere remote or with very complex unfamiliar airspace.

Thanks for the ideas, everybody. She's probably going to be stuck in the back this trip. It being only an hour and us being poor at the moment, and this being a birthday present (her largest mistake yet! :)) to me I'm going to hog it. Honestly, I'd love to go up as a passenger with her up front, and think I will before I begin training. She did express some interest last night, if nothing more than to understand what all the instruments are for and how to control the beast.

No choice on the Glass or 6-pack. This school only has G1000 as far as I know...Cessna sponsored.

I tried to schedule for the morning to avoid bumps but the only available slot was noon. It is what it is, and if nothing else we can look back and say "that's the roughest it'll be, on average, until the IR ticket comes".

I'm pretty jazzed, but also getting tired. Will update afterwards tomorrow. Thanks again! Kyle

Thanks for the ideas, everybody. She's probably going to be stuck in the back this trip. It being only an hour and us being poor at the moment, and this being a birthday present (her largest mistake yet! :)) to me I'm going to hog it. Honestly, I'd love to go up as a passenger with her up front, and think I will before I begin training. She did express some interest last night, if nothing more than to understand what all the instruments are for and how to control the beast.

No choice on the Glass or 6-pack. This school only has G1000 as far as I know...Cessna sponsored.

I tried to schedule for the morning to avoid bumps but the only available slot was noon. It is what it is, and if nothing else we can look back and say "that's the roughest it'll be, on average, until the IR ticket comes".

I'm pretty jazzed, but also getting tired. Will update afterwards tomorrow. Thanks again! Kyle

Cessna sponsored... Ha. That's rich. They don't give away airplanes, ever. ;)

Never a single rough flight during my IR training, but then again most of it was in the dead of winter at night in Nebraska. ;)

You'll have a grand time. Let us know how it goes.

Well, that was fun. A brief orientation of the plane and the panel, we (he) taxied out. Run-up complete, make a radio call and he tells me to steer us out onto the centerline. I line us up thinking he'll do the work until we're up and away...next thing I know I'm firewalling the throttle and tracking a wavy run down the runway. Thankfully, it's wide. I don't even remember leaving the ground, airspeed, pitch, nothing. Just suddenly looking down and watching the grass slip away. The ceiling was low and rain imminent so we took a city tour (Buffalo, NY). Very fun. I was totally unable to hold an altitude, and I'm okay with that for now. Most of the time I was looking around, seeing the sights. Glance back to the panel here and there for a second, just to make sure it was still there I guess.
We stayed around 2500' (or, I was told to try for 2500) and it was really cool skimming below the cloudbase, watching the weather change around us. The bumps were there but I don't remember them. My wife and I didn't get sick at all, but for future work we think she'll take a dramamine or something.
I'd forgotten one of the most exciting parts of being in a small plane. On the ground with the engine warming up, the way the plane kind of wobbles/ throbs. I think I'm addicted. Kyle

I had my discovery flight yesterday as well!

The feeling I had when I felt us lift from the ground was was the single greatest moment of my life!
I dont know about you, but I just keep replaying every moment over and over again.
I had so much fun, and time went by so fast. I can't wait to get back up in the air.

My FBO advertises Cessna 172's w/ G1000 But my instructor took me up in a Tampico.
I loved it! I am thinking about taking my training with it rather than the Cessna.
I tried really hard not to stare at the gauges too much but I had just spent some time in the simulator which had a similar set up to the Cessna ( or, at least I think it does.)

I still have a ton of research to do but I'm so happy to have finally gotten up there.
It was life altering.

I dont know about you, but I just keep replaying every moment over and over again.

I felt that way the first time I went up too, Sarah. Everytime I drove over an overpass on the freeway, it brought back fond memories. After several years of flying and aircraft ownership, I am still fascinated that I can actually fly around in the air (kind of corny, I know, but true). Most people on this earth never get the opportunity to experience flying, let alone becoming a pilot. I hope you continue to enjoy learning to fly (it won't always be real easy!) and spread your enthusiasm about flying to your friends. Always keep in mind this is supposed to be fun!

That's great that you both had a great experience! It never stops, and every time you hear a plane overhead, you're going to look up. Your friends will mock you, but it's all worth it. Good luck on your journey. I stared mine in May of this year and haven't looked back yet. :D

RUN NOW!!! It's a terrible, addicting habit. Before long you will do nothing but eat sleep and think flying. I've been at it nearly 40 years......but I can stop anytime I want. :D

The discovery flights that I conduct and I do a lot of them, I really enjoy introducing and training primary flight students. You may want to let your wife take a separate flight, so she can sit up front and ask the questions that a lot of wives want to ask but are afraid of looking dumb in front of their husbands. Also summer flight in the back of a 172 on a hot day can be less then enjoyable, especially when a wood bee student pilot is at the controls, it’s one of the fastest ways to induce airsickness that I know of. Prior to either of you flying , take some ginger , go to a health food store and buy some ginger capsules. Ask if the air is bumpy , if it is, you may want to delay the flight for a smoother day. You want this to be a positive, fun experience for both of you , for many reasons.

I'm starting to get more excited....I have a discovery flight scheduled for noon tomorrow. The only downside is, I can't start lessons until at least September for lack-of-cash reasons. Therefore, August is going to be painful. But, assuming it doesn't rain tomorrow it'll be a good day. I'm off to review the anti-motion-sickness procedures for my wife, and possibly myself. We'll see! Kyle
Welcome to flying and welcome to PoA. Hubby and I start flying together and it is still working for us. Hope you can find a way to include your wife in the lessons. Try to do it together and she will be there to support you when the going gets tough (and you will be there for her).

I had my discovery flight yesterday as well!

The feeling I had when I felt us lift from the ground was was the single greatest moment of my life!
I had so much fun, and time went by so fast. I can't wait to get back up in the air.

My FBO advertises Cessna 172's w/ G1000 But my instructor took me up in a Tampico.
I loved it! I am thinking about taking my training with it rather than the Cessna.
I tried really hard not to stare at the gauges too much but I had just spent some time in the simulator which had a similar set up to the Cessna ( or, at least I think it does.)

I still have a ton of research to do but I'm so happy to have finally gotten up there.
It was life altering.
Welcome to PoA and to flying. Enjoy!

Welcome to POA!

I am only a pilot because of an awesome discovery flight, just like yours. It was that flight which made me realize this is something I must do.

I'm happy to say that I have 'hypothetical approval' of our future flying costs. Heck, she's already saying a plane will essentially be our third car. True or not, I'm taking it as a good sign. I'll definitely suggest she take a flight on her own- I hadn't thought of it, but it would allow her to ask an expert without my being there. And it'd give her a shot at the controls. I'd be thrilled if she wanted to take up flying. Kyle

I'm happy to say that I have 'hypothetical approval' of our future flying costs. Heck, she's already saying a plane will essentially be our third car. True or not, I'm taking it as a good sign. I'll definitely suggest she take a flight on her own- I hadn't thought of it, but it would allow her to ask an expert without my being there. And it'd give her a shot at the controls. I'd be thrilled if she wanted to take up flying. Kyle

Even if she doesn't do the full lessons, having her know enough to be a "pinch hitter" in an emergency and a "helpful passenger" for other times is still valuable.

Even if she doesn't do the full lessons, having her know enough to be a "pinch hitter" in an emergency and a "helpful passenger" for other times is still valuable.

My BF is getting TOO helpful. Last flight we did 6 patterns (flour bombing). I missed / was late on some of the CTAF traffic calls at times. He would notice and say "aren't you supposed to tell them you're turning?" I got mad and said, "I'm the pilot! No more questions!"

He is turning out to be smarter and more observant than I thought.....

Ooooh and I showed him the very first go-around of his life - he said "you planned that" (we had an audience of 40 people and had just won the bombing, they were all watching us land). I told him "no, I did not plan that, and in fact, it is one of the hardest things for a pilot to do - admit it is better to go around than to try and save a landing, especially in front of dozens of other pilots."

Both sound like an awesome time!

My discovery flight was in an old 1979 Piper Warrior II and I'm flying that one for my lessons as well. I feel like the "simple" instruments may be easier to learn on. The GPS in that plane is an old Garmin 155. I don't know if that even counts?

gps155.gif

Not to fuel the steam/ glass debate, but I never found a turn coordinator in the G1000. I also wasn't really looking, but added rudder to the side my butt felt like it wanted to slide to. Didn't need much, anyway. I can't wait to get back up. I told myself I wouldn't start training until after I defend my Master's thesis, which at the time was going to be complete in September. However, my defense is being pushed back by busy schedules and procrastination so I may have to start flying sooner. Such a shame, ya know? Kyle

Most glass panels seem to place the coordinator on the top of the PFD, atop the artificial horizon. There is a triangle showing the bank angle, and right below it is a bar. The bar is supposed to be kept under the triangle.

You have to stare, don't you? That's why I don't like these for primary training.

Theses are ALWAYS delayed. I've never seen one come out on time.

A reasonably trimmed 172 won't need much rudder during cruise. The biggest time is rotating for takeoff (right rudder!), followed by crosswind landings and slips. You'll need a little right rudder on climbing turns, and a little left rudder on descending turns.

Last edited:
Back