Discovery Flight coupon

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Several years ago, it was possible to get a "Learn to Fly" coupon on the internet. My son in Oceanside, CA has shown some interest in learning to fly and I can't seem to find the site anymore to get him a discount Discovery Flight. Has it been discontinued?
- Aunt Peggy

wow - they changed the price to $59 instead of $49, eh?

SkyHog said:
wow - they changed the price to $59 instead of $49, eh?
wow - they changed the price to $49 instead of $29, eh?

...and so it goes...

Instruction trivia: I first started my training when the CFI charged a whopping $8/hr. CFIs have always been a greedy lot.

Last edited:
And if you don't find a coupon...the club I was with for a long time had a policy of selling "intro flight" coupons, if you want to call them that. Sort of a gift certificate, you could also say. For a set price, the recipient went on a flight with a CFI in a 152 or 172. The CFIs did not charge [school policy not to]. I used to do this all the time, loved it, even though by thenb I did not myself teach privates, only advanced. It was a lot of fun to take up someone who was intrigued. They got a really good deal, because I spent more time with them than was expected. No pressure, no checkrides ahead, just a purely fun time and hopefully a new pilot-to-be. Some of the other CFIs hated doing this [no pay], but I always found it to be very rewarding.

Anyhow, the point is, I expect many schools/clubs have a similar option. If you aren't in the area, it would take a minor bit of research to find a club near him. But not much...then a phone call or two to set it up.

Last edited:
Club should have paid the instructors at least half their standard fee for that time - that way the instructors get something for their time, but they are also subsidizing attracting the future students they, themselves, might end up training.

silver-eagle said:
bubba said:
Learn to fly - $59.

Learn to land - $5000
Getting your PPL - PRICELESS!
Thanks to all. My son just completed a $40 Discovery Flight at a flight school about 5 minutes walk from where he works. He may be hooked.:yes:

- Aunt Peggy

Back