Discount Pilot Shop

Commander Dave

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Commander Dave
I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone.

I operate a small discount pilot shop, and wanted to let more people know about it. Basically this grew from the need to help my students find pilot supplies and gear at the best prices I could. I would tell them I knew a few places to check (Marv Golden's, A/S's, and the like) and I would email them the best price I found.

This quickly grew into the addition of Horizons Pilot Shop to my web site.

I hope no one thinks I'm intruding, just wanted to let you know I'm out there. Should you ever need anything be sure to look me up.

Horizons Pilot Shop

PS - My intent is to be the lowest price around. If you ever see anything for less, please let me know and I'll do my best to help you.

Last edited:
Just curious...

How do I get my web address to show in my signature file???

When I enter it, it says something about BB not supporting URL's. Yet I see many people have them listed. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Hey Dave, Welcome aboard! Nice to have someone who can access equipment. Mail order only or storefront as well? Not that is matters but if I was in Reading, I would stop in.

Andy

Mail order for the moment Andy

Working on a deal with the airport authority now to put a shop in the main terminal building. Problem is getting someone to man it.

I do flight instruction during the day so I'm out.

Just a quick note about the pilot shop. I am an aircraft owner as are many of you. I can actually get you just about anything aviation and hopefully at a discounted price. I currently represent several distributors and manufacturers. All in all, about 30,000 products. I have yet to incorporate it all to the ecommerce site. It's a daily process, as I currently list about 1250 items.

If you need something let me know, and I'll certainly help you find it.

And thanks for the interest, I appreciate all the help I can get from my fellow pilots.

I'm curious. How is it that this commercial enterprise is welcomed with open arms but others have not been?

Personally, I'm glad for the opportunity to check out new business' but in the past other enterprises haven't been so welcomed. Why is this one different?

I'm curious. How is it that this commercial enterprise is welcomed with open arms but others have not been?

Personally, I'm glad for the opportunity to check out new business' but in the past other enterprises haven't been so welcomed. Why is this one different?

Not sure about the past or POA's rule governing this type of post but I
see no harm in an initial launch of a Company on this site. Should it turn into a weekly "specials" page or spam, then it becomes another issue.

Your mileage may vary....

Certainly hope I didn't break any rules. I purposely posted in the Hangar talk area, because it said all posts were welcomed.

I have only been a member of this group since September, joined while I was completing some additional ratings at ATP in Florida.

I belong to another aviation (type) group the Commander Owners Group, they have been a very big part of my life ever since.

I was planing on meeting everyone here and putting together some sort of coupon type thing that the group could use to purchase items on the pilot shop website. Other than that, no - I'm not here to offer weekly specials.

We live in uncertain times in aviation, and I'm trying to make a go of a professional flying career at 41 when everyone says it can't be done. I believe in pilots helping pilots, and have found them to be the greatest supporters of anyone in my life. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone.

That all said, the site I have setup is truly a discount pilot shop. I started it in an attempt to help my students find what they needed at the best prices. I would finish a lesson and recommend a headset, or a kneeboard, or some text, then I would say "I know a few good websites - I'll check them for you and send you a link to the cheapest I found." It was from this practice that the pilot shop was born. So if you can save a little money, while looking for what you want or need - so be it.

I'm here for aviation, and believe in it. We need to act today in support of that, or we stand to lose all of the freedom we have. I have never been more concerned of my flying future than I am today.

Last edited:
From my point of view, it is a single thread, not multiple posts in different threads, so I don't see the reason for a flogging (yet) .

If it is kept here in this thread I can always ignore it. Not so easy if the poster tries to spam the board.

Interesting Avatar Jack

You'd like someone from the Commander Group, also named Jack. He flies a black ship, and loves pirate stuff

Attachments

• cmdrtn.jpg
    cmdrtn.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 19
  • calicojack-tn.jpg
    calicojack-tn.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 214
Sheesh, who would buy pilot stuff from a guy who owns a Commander?

N1194J here, Dave. Welcome aboard! :D

I recognized your log on immediately

Can't be too many rpadulas around :)

Good to see you as well Rich, where's the rabbit?

From my point of view, it is a single thread, not multiple posts in different threads, so I don't see the reason for a flogging (yet) .

If it is kept here in this thread I can always ignore it. Not so easy if the poster tries to spam the board.
You misunderstood. My reference was to other, similar commercial enterprises...a recent one being someone here wanting to sell his book. There have been others.

Interesting Avatar Jack

You'd like someone from the Commander Group, also named Jack. He flies a black ship, and loves pirate stuff

I bet this guy goes to Pirate week in Grand Cayman! If not, he should!:rofl:

You misunderstood. My reference was to other, similar commercial enterprises...a recent one being someone here wanting to sell his book. There have been others.
I can understand your confusion. The member who posted about his book was greeted cordially with his first thread. His second identical thread was sort of ignored. Third, fourth, and subsequent threads brought down the wrath of POA.

So far as I know at the moment, this poster has only put up one thread and has been quite polite about it. Although he posted in Hangar Talk, the management moved it to the Classifieds where it belongs and that is OK, too.

I operate a small discount pilot shop, and wanted to let more people know about it. Basically this grew from the need to help my students find pilot supplies and gear at the best prices I could. I would tell them I knew a few places to check (Marv Golden's, A/S's, and the like) and I would email them the best price I found.

I hope no one thinks I'm intruding, just wanted to let you know I'm out there. Should you ever need anything be sure to look me up.

Horizons Pilot Shop

PS - My intent is to be the lowest price around. If you ever see anything for less, please let me know and I'll do my best to help you.
Welcome to POA.

Horizons Pilot Shop

Welcome Dave!

Always glad to have another PoAer join us. I like your web site too.

Big difference between "Hey guys, I'm new. Oh, I also run a business."

and

"FOR ONE DAY ONLY, YOU CAN BE THE GREATEST PILOT AROUND WITH OUR NEW XYZ WIDGET!"

At least to me there is.

If you have questions about PoA site policies and rules, please post them in the Site Feedback and Support forum so they are sure to get the MC's attention for appropriate response. Thanks!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will try to be as much a part of this group as I am with my other organization (Commander Owners Group)

I do notice already that your site moves very quickly. The Commander group recieves alot of posting and you pretty much need to log on daily to keep up. I think we have about 4-500 members and about 20-30% are very active posters.

This group has many more members, and it seems more difficult to keep track of all that is going on, but I will do my best.

Again thanks to all for welcoming me with open arms, and I certainly hope to be positive addition to your group.

Last edited:
Welcome to POA. There was some controversy as you've read, based on the actions of another member. However, you are doing just fine, and hope you enjoy our little forum.

Big difference between "Hey guys, I'm new. Oh, I also run a business."

and

"FOR ONE DAY ONLY, YOU CAN BE THE GREATEST PILOT AROUND WITH OUR NEW XYZ WIDGET!"

At least to me there is.

Yeah I'd say that pretty much explains it. Certainly not commenting on the others who have posted in classifieds but I'd say it appears Dave wants to be part of our community.

Anyway welcome Dave. FYI there are a bunch of POAers located around Wings, just a hop over the hills from you at RDG. We often get together for some hangar flying on a Friday afternoon. I'll put ya on the list. Also if you have any pull at RDG will you PLEASE get Malibooz to open before lunch and serve breakfast!!

Adam,

Thanks for the welcome - and thanks for referring to me as Dave (feels so much better than "this particluar poster" :)

In reference to Malibooz. The owners name is Barry, I talk to him a tleast once per month about opening up for breakfast. How pilots like to fly in the morning when the air is calm and smooth, and he'd get quite a turn out from it. Yet he still insists it wouldn't be profitable for him.

To that avail, why don't we all try this. If I could get him to open up for a special Sunday event (breakfast) perhaps we could as a group set up a fly-in to Reading, and show him the value of being open early.

If we had enough support, I could probably convince him to try it for a day.

As for Wings field, I usually fly in while doing ARF (Animal Rescue Flights) but my turns are fairly quick. I'm usually in and out in about 10 minutes. I will see that I make a trip out just to meet up with all of you.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will try to be as much a part of this group as I am with my other organization (Commander Owners Group)

I do notice already that your site moves very quickly. The Commander group recieves alot of posting and you pretty much need to log on daily to keep up. I think we have about 4-500 members and about 20-30% are very active posters.

This group has many more members, and it seems more difficult to keep track of all that is going on, but I will do my best.

Again thanks to all for welcoming me with open arms, and I certainly hope to be positive addition to your group.
One of the things that is a little different with this group than others I am involved with is that we often have face to face events to get to know each other. There are several big fly ins each year that people go to as well as regional get together. So hopefully we will meet up one day.

dave, if I order from you, can I just hop over and pick it up at Reading by meeting you there? I'm at Wings with Adam and a bunch of other good guys and frequently go to reading for lunch or just some radio/tower work.

dave, if I order from you, can I just hop over and pick it up at Reading by meeting you there? I'm at Wings with Adam and a bunch of other good guys and frequently go to reading for lunch or just some radio/tower work.

Absolutely Rob. There is a shipping option for local pickup. It still carries a $5.00 charge as they still charge me to ship merchandise. But it will save you on shipping overall.

So if you place an order - just be sure to check local pickup. Also please let me know when you'll be around and I'll certainly meet with you.

Perhaps sometime in the future I will have a small shop in the main terminal building at Reading, in which case you could pick your package up there.

One of the things that is a little different with this group than others I am involved with is that we often have face to face events to get to know each other. There are several big fly ins each year that people go to as well as regional get together. So hopefully we will meet up one day.

Our Commander Group does the same. I think it makkes us a very tight group. Excellent exchange of information there as well.

Dave, since you fly ARF, you need to hook up with Ted DuPuis sometime. He's got an AzTruck he uses for that sort of thing, and has actually started his own not-for-profit organization Cloud Nine Rescue Flights (http://www.cloudninerescueflights.org/).

And if you think there's a lot of traffic here, just don't go over to AOPA's board (colloquially referred to as the Red Board). Their traffic levels blow us out of the water!

Thanks Grant.

I actually sent Ted a message about flying. I don't get much multi-time and am always looking for a flight. He is close to me, so I asked him to let me know when he's looking for a fly-buddy.

Of course that offer is available to anyone :)

Sorry for the short notice...

Would anyone here have a digital file for the POA logo that appears in the upper right of the forum.

I am trying to put together a simple brochure that would offer POA members a 5% discount on all orders.

If you have something, please email me.

Thanks

Sorry for the short notice...

Would anyone here have a digital file for the POA logo that appears in the upper right of the forum.

I am trying to put together a simple brochure that would offer POA members a 5% discount on all orders.

If you have something, please email me.

Thanks
Right click on the image and then save

Hmmm...if someone could find the original thread that contained the contest, I bet someone could find the source image....

It was created by CapeCodMichael.
</tr></table>

Back