disconnect battery when changing oil?

My solenoid is mounted to my firewall battery box. All my cable ends are booted. I'd have to try pretty hard to arc anything. i figure that's how it's supposed to be.

My solenoid is mounted to my firewall battery box. All my cable ends are booted. I'd have to try pretty hard to arc anything. i figure that's how it's supposed to be.

Excellent point. I have two primary wire booties that are cracked through and one missing completely. I should know better. I'm going to fix that next week when I get back from skiing. :thumbsup:

At our dealership we seldom disconnect the battery, unless the procedure specially calls for it. Too many things get reset with the loss of battery power, including fault codes, emission codes, keyless entry codes, I think the radio stations stay. ;)

Rarely see an 88" metal prop on my Ford. :D

Worse is that the trans has to relearn all the shift points after the batt has been disconnected. Pretty jarring for a few miles.

Rarely see an 88" metal prop on my Ford. :D

Worse is that the trans has to relearn all the shift points after the batt has been disconnected. Pretty jarring for a few miles.

Yup! I was responding to folks saying automotive shops disconnect the battery. I don't think I've ever noticed my airplane mechanics disconnecting the battery. :D

anyone stop to think, there is a reason a battery box has a cover? yet where it should be during maintenance?

The first step in any maintenance is to make the aircraft safe to work on.

some guys probably shouldn't work on airplanes, I guess. Instead they can imagine statistically unimportant scenarios and stir folks up on the Internet!

Valid point!

Having grown up in my dad's auto repair shop, and being a car nut for the last fifty years of licensed driving, I've done hundreds or maybe even thousands of oil changes and can never remember removing a battery cable as a safety precaution on an air OR a road vehicle.

That said in a shop environment where more than one person might work on the same vehicle at different times, I can easily see how someone might set such a shop policy of disconnecting the battery cable so that someone else doesn't come along and start an engine with no oil in it.

It is easy to imagine a scenario where the oil change boy gets the oil draining and then steps away to do something else while it's coming down. THEN someone else comes over to tend to another squawk on the work order that requires starting the engine.

In fact IF such a policy was set in a shop, it could be that such a scenario played out that led to the policy.

As far as disconnecting the battery as a standard step for an oil change, I guess I haven't done enough reading to come across that one.

Back