Disappointed or mad -- which is it?

Toby

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Toby Speed
This thread is about nothing! Tomorrow is our first perfect day in MONTHS. Warmer, with blue skies forever, and after waiting all week I found out late this afternoon that the plane never made it to its 100-hr inspection on Monday and it's still sitting in the hangar! Sitting there unflyable! Aarrgghh! :mad:

I'm an adult. I can handle this.

Hmm, sounds like a good reason to sit at the airport, look sad, and bum a ride! There is one lineguy at our airport that has more time in ALL types of aircraft than anyone I know! He sucks...

Take a page from his book: look sad, a get great rides!

Scott

sshekels said:
Hmm, sounds like a good reason to sit at the airport, look sad, and bum a ride! There is one lineguy at our airport that has more time in ALL types of aircraft than anyone I know! He sucks...

Take a page from his book: look sad, a get great rides!

Scott

Scott, that's how I've gotten ALL my great rides so far. Either look really really sad, or look really really happy. They both work.

Or you can take a page from Diana's book. When you meet someone the very first thing you say is, "Can I have a ride?"

Seems to work for her. :)

Chip

gibbons said:
Or you can take a page from Diana's book. When you meet someone the very first thing you say is, "Can I have a ride?"

Actually, I do that along with the faces. Didn't I get you to promise me a ride when I came out there? (actually two rides, one being in the little jet you have without wings....)

Just wait for one of those perfect days, and you bail out of work and run to the FBO to grab a plane. 3 sitting planes on the ramp. They say no can do since you have to reserve at least a day in advance. So you leave depressed. Hours later you get sick of the day and go back to work which involves driving past the airport....and those same 3 planes haven't moved an inch.

It completely justifies buying.

I REMEBER that from Gastons! You are right! LOL

gibbons said:

Chip
LOL!

How will people know you want a ride in their airplane if you don't tell them up front. ;)

Hey, isn't it time for another ride? :)

Toby said:
This thread is about nothing! Tomorrow is our first perfect day in MONTHS. Warmer, with blue skies forever, and after waiting all week I found out late this afternoon that the plane never made it to its 100-hr inspection on Monday and it's still sitting in the hangar! Sitting there unflyable! Aarrgghh! :mad:

I'm an adult. I can handle this.

I feel your pain. While I've had a lesson every week, I have only flown every other week. The other times have all been on the sim. The consolation there is that my CFII can make me sweat just as badly sitting on a chair flying that sim as he can in an actual airplane.

Now that I think about it, it will be interesting to fly that IFR X-C, because it will occur after two sim lessons, and nearly a month after having flown a real airplane!

wangmyers said:
I feel your pain. While I've had a lesson every week, I have only flown every other week. The other times have all been on the sim. The consolation there is that my CFII can make me sweat just as badly sitting on a chair flying that sim as he can in an actual airplane.

Now that I think about it, it will be interesting to fly that IFR X-C, because it will occur after two sim lessons, and nearly a month after having flown a real airplane!

Ben -- total thread hijack, but I can hijack my own thread -- I am so excited for you that you're near the finish line on this. You've been working so hard. It inspires me to forge ahead and get my IR. Good for you!

sshekels said:
I REMEBER that from Gastons! You are right! LOL
Hey, Scott I still have that picture of you with that engaging smile. One of my favorite pictures from that day. :)

Hey Diana,

Is B.F. going to get this CFI done or what...we need to keep him motiavted! :)

Eric Davis said:
Hey Diana,

Is B.F. going to get this CFI done or what...we need to keep him motiavted! :)
Funny you should mention that! He studied today instead of going flying; with the airplane within walking distance, too. I tried to encourage him (corrupt him) to go flying, but nooooooooooo, he just took another practice test.

I think this guy's really serious. He has more will power than I do.

Hey, you coming to Gaston's?

:)

Eric Davis said:
Has Gib given you any more rides D?
Not since the day we did inverted spins in the Extra and I did some Bo time and then took him flying in the Citabria. I think it's time for more flying with the Arkansas Gentleman. Should I quit being subtle with him? ;)

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Ahhh I'm glad he is finishing the written up! Gastons doesn't look possible for me right now. I'm on such a short leash here at work....its tough to get off to do anything. :0

Be careful!!! He may want to sign you up as his first student! You better stock up on sic sacs now! :)

Toby said:
A...ctually, I do that along with the faces. Didn't I get you to promise me a ride when I came out there? (actually two rides, one being in the little jet you have without wings

LOL. That took a few minutes for me to figure out. You bet.

Chip

Me? Engaging smile? Devious, perhaps... I was trying to figure out how to get Lance's keys and head for the islands! :)

Is the pic posted somewhere? (what was the site?) - I'm curious to see the gang again! I hope the weather cooperates for me to return, otherwise I'll just have to bum a ride with Lance again. Bummer! LOL

Eric Davis said:
Be careful!!! He may want to sign you up as his first student! You better stock up on sic sacs now! :)
I've been somebody's "first student" and it didn't have a good outcome that time. I think it would be an honor and a privilge to be flying with Chip as his first student. :)

Last edited:
sshekels said:
Me? Engaging smile? Devious, perhaps... I was trying to figure out how to get Lance's keys and head for the islands! :)

Is the pic posted somewhere? (what was the site?) - I'm curious to see the gang again! I hope the weather cooperates for me to return, otherwise I'll just have to bum a ride with Lance again. Bummer! LOL
The OPhoto site expired, but I still have that devious smile picture. I'll email it to you. I wish I had that picture of Lance riding with me in the Citabria with the "infamous" caption.

I could think of worse things than riding with Lance in his Baron. ;)

Last edited:
Hmm, would that be this one? What was the caption? LOL

sshekels said:
Hmm, would that be this one? What was the caption? LOL
Yep that's the one! He was quoted as saying "Oh no! What have I gotten myself into?"

LOL!

;)

Diana said:
Yep that's the one! He was quoted as saying "Oh no! What have I gotten myself into?"

LOL!

;)

I didn't say that!

Toby said:
Ben -- total thread hijack, but I can hijack my own thread -- I am so excited for you that you're near the finish line on this. You've been working so hard. It inspires me to forge ahead and get my IR. Good for you!
Thanks, Toby. I encourage all who have the desire to get the IR. If nothing else, you'll cancel fewer trips!

See? Devious! I even have my "enforcer" sitting next to me to help with the master plan! LOL

Diana said:
I've been somebody's "first student" and it didn't have a good outcome that time.
But he's still a heckuva nice guy, if you're talking about who I think you are.

Ken Ibold said:
But he's still a heckuva nice guy, if you're talking about who I think you are.
Well, it's complicated, but we're going to try again. I would LOVE to do aerobatics in that gnarly beast.

fgcason said:
Just wait for one of those perfect days, and you bail out of work and run to the FBO to grab a plane. 3 sitting planes on the ramp. They say no can do since you have to reserve at least a day in advance. So you leave depressed.

You're KIDDING, right? What FBO would maintain a policy like that!? And WHY!? Sounds like a sure way to go out of business!!

I'd be finding myself a new place to rent.

Troy

Toby said:
the plane never made it to its 100-hr inspection on Monday and it's still sitting in the hangar! Sitting there unflyable! Aarrgghh! :mad:

I feel your pain. Reserved the Archer III three weeks ago, maintenence officer called me tonight, plane is grounded. Dead battery, won't take a charge, can't get one put in until Monday. That's the bad news.

Good news, I got my first lesson in the Citabria today...I'll write that up elsewhere :)

>You're KIDDING, right?

Nope. BTDT.

>What FBO would maintain a policy like that!? And WHY!? Sounds like a sure way to go out of business!!

A 'management' operation took over to run it like a business, not a welcome mat to wayward aviators desperate for a flight or to just hang out at the airport on saturday afternoons, just bring your credit card. No aviation experience from what I could tell. Between that and the $61 rental jumping to $95 overnight, they didn't last long...I think, for all I know, they could still be there.

>I'd be finding myself a new place to rent.

Poof. Gone. If I can't walk in and get a "hi how are you doing" and be allowed to go sit in the grass and have a picnic lunch watching planes comes and go, I'll take my business elsewhere real quick.

Back