Director Robert Altman Dead at 81

alaskaflyer said:
Article said one thing I didn't know about him...he was a WWII bomber pilot.

I didn't know that about him. On a related note, your post reminded me of something I saw on tv a couple of weeks ago about actors who served in WWII. It features Charles Durning, who you may remember played Gov. Pappy O'Daniel in "Oh Brother where art thou?" A very impressive record. Three Purple Hearts and the Silver Star, and was a survivor of the Massacre at Malmedy.

http://www.pbs.org/memorialdayconcert/wwii/durning.html

I loved Altman's movies - the man was a hoot and a treasure!

On a side note, did anyone see Charles Durning's performance as the governor in Best Little Whorehouse in Texas? Man, that song he did was funny!!

This thread shall drive me to drink; or I'm "losing it." 15 or 16 years ago I had a delightful lady customer at my camera store. Priscilla was in her 70s and really enjoyed the cameras/equipment I sold her and for which I gave her continuing guidance. And I can't, for the life of me, remember her last name; or more importantly for this thread, her husband's real last name.

They lived in Bremen, Maine. He commuted to the medical center in Waterville, Maine(that's going from ocean-side to central Maine) where he was a surgeon at Thayer Hospital for many years. I only met him a couple times because when Priscilla was at my store "Dr." would be on duty 45 miles inland. Anyway, he had a sideline - a flair for composition. Under the name, Richard Hooker, he wrote a novel which recapitulated parts of his armed services career. That novel transcended into numerous other follows-up.

I'm certain you're ahead of me, at this point. Fact is that Dr. Richard (can't remember) wrote a book named, MASH, and the rest is history. "They" did very well from the results of his original book -- and the original movie.
However, he received not a heck-of-a-lot from the residual stuff(television series) because he had sold off most of the rights. Nice memories; I just can't come up with his real last name. Incidentally, they were neighbors, in Bremen, of Elizabeth "Betty" Noyce, whose husband(Robert) was the co-founder of INTEL, and FAIRCHILD, and co-discoverer of the integrated chip.

HR

Last edited:
Lawreston said:
I'm certain you're ahead of me, at this point. Fact is that Dr. Richard (can't remember) wrote a book named, MASH, and the rest is history. "They" did .

HR

Good story. Richard Hooker was the pseudonym for [SIZE=-1]Richard Hornberger.

BTW many people think that the character of Hawkeye was based on the author. When in fact Dr. Hornberger wrote the character of Trapper John after himself.
[/SIZE]

smigaldi said:
Good story. Richard Hooker was the pseudonym for [SIZE=-1]Richard Hornberger.

BTW many people think that the character of Hawkeye was based on the author. When in fact Dr. Hornberger wrote the character of Trapper John after himself.
[/SIZE]

Thank you. I'm not losing it; just couldn't remember. But as I look in my local telephone book, Hornberger H R Jr Dr .... Heath Rd, Bremen.

(Priscilla is still "with us.")

HR

I think they need to have 3 people delivering the eulogy - all talking at once. Ever see "California Split?: I remember trying to figure out what they were saying.

mikea said:
I think they need to have 3 people delivering the eulogy - all talking at once. Ever see "California Split?: I remember trying to figure out what they were saying.

LOL! That is an excellent idea :cheerswine:

Back