Direct Flights between airports when flying IFR

John777

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
AIM states that,
  • Pilots of aircraft equipped with approved area navigation equipment may file for RNAV routes throughout the National Airspace System and may be filed for in accordance with the following procedures:
    • File airport-to-airport flight plans
    • File the appropriate RNAV capability certification suffix in the flight plan
    • Plan the random route portion of the flight plan to begin and end over appropriate arrival and departure transition fixes or appropriate navigation aids for the altitude stratum within which the flight will be conducted. The use of normal preferred departure and arrival routes (DP/STAR), where established, is recommended
    • File route structure transitions to and from the random route portion of the flight
    • Define the random route by waypoints. File route description waypoints by using degree-distance fixes based on navigational aids which are appropriate for the altitude stratum
    • File a minimum of one route description waypoint for each ARTCC through whose area the random route will be flown. These waypoints must be located within 200 NM of the preceding center’s boundary
    • File an additional route description waypoint for each turn-point in the route
    • Plan additional route description way-points as required to ensure accurate navigation via the filed route of flight. Navigation is the pilot’s responsibility unless ATC assistance is requested
    • Plan the route of flight so as to avoid prohibited and restricted airspace by 3 NM unless permission has been obtained to operate in that airspace and the appropriate ATC facilities are advised
So what I understand from this procedures is that we can file flightplan from KXXX to KZZZ direct but must include fix or NAVAID that defines the point of departure and arrival and must have waypoint located within 200nm of boundary in order to be considered direct route?

I saw people filing from airport to airport direct but me after going through all this, got into a confusion.

If what I understood is correct, the NAVAID or a fix that defines the point of departure and arrival can be any points on low enroute chart?

If you could provide with example routes, that would be great.

Thanks.

John,

Last edited:
Aren't you a student pilot?

Focus.

Not a terribly useful response.

For the OP, that AIM paragraph says may and not must.

"Pilots of aircraft equipped with approved area navigation equipment may file for RNAV routes throughout the National Airspace System and may be filed for in accordance with the following procedures:"

Of course you can file direct. Whether you get when you call up for your clearance it is a different issue. You almost certainly won't get it if you're filing into or out of a busy area. Between two small airports where the direct routing doesn't go through a MOA or a restricted area, and doesn't have any MVA issues for your chosen altitude yes you will probably get it.

You are really better off just looking at past atc routings and filing it. If direct to isn't common you are likely going to get something else and just add to your workload.
If direct is common sometimes it makes sense to file to a waypoint for the beginning of an approach vs direct to an airport. You can use any waypoint you want, doesn't necessarily have to be on a low enroute chart, but most of them are.
Some guy flew kpuw to Kmod yesterday, direct. That's more than 200 miles

You are really better off just looking at past atc routings and filing it. If direct to isn't common you are likely going to get something else and just add to your workload.
If direct is common sometimes it makes sense to file to a waypoint for the beginning of an approach vs direct to an airport. You can use any waypoint you want, doesn't necessarily have to be on a low enroute chart, but most of them are.
Some guy flew kpuw to Kmod yesterday, direct. That's more than 200 miles

I often file to an IAF, but my clearances usually end with "then direct." If they don't, they terminate in a STAR.

The thing is, prevailing wind might change before arrival, and controllers may or may not want to give an approach with a tailwind. For instance, ZOA flatly refused the ILS into KSTS on my IFR cross country due to a tailwind, forcing me to land full-stop and replan the rest of my flight to get three different types of approaches.

Keep up the questions, John. I find it to be a great refresher, and I have learned new things too. Thanks

Back