Different FAA Levels for ATC Towers

John W

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
johwiltb
Hey everyone, I'm less than 5 posts currently, so I can't post a link, but I was looking at the field information for KGVT (North Las Vegas) on their website, and it said:
  • FAA Level II Air Traffic Control Tower
I've been trying to search around and figure out what "FAA Level II" means, but no luck yet. Any ideas, or maybe other places I can look for info? Thanks!

I was an Air Force controller but I think FAA Levels are number of operations. That determines the classification for pay I believe, IOW busy tower like LAS or ATL would be higher pay.

Hey everyone, I'm less than 5 posts currently, so I can't post a link, but I was looking

I think the site you were looking at may be a few years old. Until the late 90's there were 5 levels of ATC facilities. They were tied into pay schedules, GS-10 through 14. There are more 'levels' now and it's different than the 'GS' pay schedules. VFR Towers back then were all 1-3. It was based on 'numbers' of operations. Now days 'complexity' is factored in. What was once a Level II(2) Tower would now be in the 6 or so through maybe about 8 or so range I think. On faa.gov I think you can follow the links and get the 'levels' of all ATC facilities. Been lookin before I hit the Post Reply button, VGT is level 6. To put in perspective, LAS Tower and TRACON(approach control) are both level 11. Chicago, O'hare Tower and Approach are both 12's. Two very busy VFR Towers, Deer Valley, DVT, and VNY, Van Nuys, are both Level 8's.

Back