Differences between Class II and III Medical?

Rigged4Flight

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Rigged4Flight
I was just told about a potential (non-pilot) flying job. After checking out the requirements, it seems I qualify on everything but one point: it requires a Class II medical.

Is there a cliffs note version of the differences between the Class II and III? I know the II will revert to a III after a year, and that it is an annual requirement, but other than that I'm fuzzy on any further details and my slow internet connection makes google searches slightly less exciting than snail racing.

Thanks in advance for the help!

The last time I looked at FAR 67, there were minor differences... Vision is 20/20 corrected for Class II while Class III is 20/40. Other than that FAR 67 is pretty much the same for both.

Here you go....the real differences are at age 35 (EKGs for class 1) and in the special isusances.....

Attachments

• Medical Standards.pdf
    39.6 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
The last time I looked at FAR 67, there were minor differences... Vision is 20/20 corrected for Class II while Class III is 20/40. Other than that FAR 67 is pretty much the same for both.
Thanks. I fully expected the first reply to my question to be something like "Look it up". :redface:

Here you go....the real differences are at age 35 (EKGs for class 1) and in the special isusances.....
As always, your post was exactly what I needed. Thank you!

I'll have to do multi-focal glasses. The near/intermediate/distant vision requirements could get tricky without them.

On a related note: I frequently put on/take off my bifocals when I need to switch between near and intermediate viewing. Is this an option when taking the vision test? My un-assisted eyesight is excellent at 16", but anything nearer/farther requires glasses. That presbyopia is a dirty trick. :mad:

I passed my last class III medical with separate glasses for near and distance vision.

I just got my progressive sunglasses (regulars aren't in yet). So far I'm finding them to be better than I expected. I have to get used to my peripheral vision being blurry but they aren't giving me headaches or such.

They do work as described, and I can now read charts and such without taking off my glasses.

I just got my progressive sunglasses (regulars aren't in yet). So far I'm finding them to be better than I expected. I have to get used to my peripheral vision being blurry but they aren't giving me headaches or such.

They do work as described, and I can now read charts and such without taking off my glasses.
I had to get used to the way they "warp" peripheral vision. But once I got over that I loved mine. The only time I notice it now is when I have to adjust my sight picture for things that require a precise alignment with gravity.

Yeah... wish I could get a class 2. I really want to be my kids' instructor when they grow up, but no way of getting the necessary medical to allow me to become a CFI for this purpose.

Yeah... wish I could get a class 2. I really want to be my kids' instructor when they grow up, but no way of getting the necessary medical to allow me to become a CFI for this purpose.
I could be wrong, but I don't think you need a class 2 to get either a CPL or a CFI rating. You only need the class 2 to exercise commercial privileges, and I don't think teaching people how to fly requires commercial privileges.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you need a class 2 to get either a CPL or a CFI rating. You only need the class 2 to exercise commercial privileges, and I don't think teaching people how to fly requires commercial privileges.

Really? that is contrary to my understanding, but thank you for the input... anyone else care to comment on this?

What kind of sunglasses did you get, Tim?
:popcorn:

What kind of sunglasses did you get, Tim?
:popcorn:

Some Raybans, non-polarized.... They're pretty conservative looking for progressive sunglasess:wink2:

Oh, and a medical is only required for checkrides if you're acting as PIC. So generally a third-class is sufficient. But if you were flying an LSA equipped for instrument flight, you might be able to take an ATP-ASEL checkride without a medical at all.

I took all my rides so far with only a third class in effect at the time. I usually renew my class II every other year and only if I need the privileges do I go and get a class II "early".

Azure is correct. You do not need a Class II medical to act as flight instructor. For the purpose of teaching your own children to fly, a Class III medical is sufficient.
Jon

Azure is correct. You do not need a Class II medical to act as flight instructor. For the purpose of teaching your own children to fly, a Class III medical is sufficient.
Jon

Actually, I think for most CFI duties, a III is sufficient. My understanding is that the CFI is being paid to teach, not to fly.

-Rich

Actually, I think for most CFI duties, a III is sufficient. My understanding is that the CFI is being paid to teach, not to fly.

-Rich

correct. and if the cfi isn't acting as PIC no medical is required.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back