Difference of opinion Take 2

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Today I was shown a C-150-D that anther IA is involved with.

I think the other IA was trying to be nice.

When the prop is moved there is audible clunk, In my humble opinion the engine should be remove form service. not flown again.

The paint was described as nice.. I saw paint pealing off the flaps the size of my palm.

The aircraft was changed from a pull starter, to a key start and no paperwork to show the work.

the person that showed me the aircraft (not the owner) could not show me the date of the last overhaul. I assume that it was never overhauled, prior to 1994.

This is simply what I saw, and gave my advice.

When the prop is moved there is audible clunk, In my humble opinion the engine should be remove form service. not flown again.
I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole here, but you’re sure this ‘clunk’ that you’re referring to isn’t the impulse coupling? I assume it’s not, as I’m sure you’d know the difference. :)

I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole here, but you’re sure this ‘clunk’ that you’re referring to isn’t the impulse coupling? I assume it’s not, as I’m sure you’d know the difference. :)
yup, I know the difference :)

Today I was shown a C-150-D that anther IA is involved with.

I think the other IA was trying to be nice.

The paint was described as nice.. I saw paint pealing off the flaps the size of my palm.

The aircraft was changed from a pull starter, to a key start and no paperwork to show the work.

the person that showed me the aircraft (not the owner) could not show me the date of the last overhaul. I assume that it was never overhauled, prior to 1994.

This is simply what I saw, and gave my advice.

What was your advice?

This poor little A/C is a case study of not to do.
now that I've seen it I know which 150 It is.
This aircraft sat beside a hangar in Anacortes for about 15 years, it belonged to a A&P-AI (deceased) and it never flew. it was finally restored by the A&P-IA in Anacortes
This aircraft was wrecked, about 1974+- and it was repaired by replacing the wings, most of the fuselage, engine, (that amounts for the new paint -(1974)
The 150 flew a few years, Circa 1990 I nearly bought it, but bought a much later model.

Bottom line here is, there are aircraft needs help, and there are aircraft that are junk, trust your A&P to know the difference.

So what do you think the clunk was? The impulse coupling has already been ruled out (and to me, that's more of a "click" than a "clunk" anyway). I can't imagine anything inside an engine making a clunking sound that would not cause the engine to grenade immediately if/when it was started.

Tim

So what do you think the clunk was? - Tim
It is Rod bearings. I'd bet money on it.
They replaced 2 cylinders, that pretty much tells us there is no piston slop. but the rod bearings never get changed.
This engine has been in service since prior to 1974, and it was a used engine then.The logs on the engine doesn't tell us how much time was on the engine prior to that.

I can't imagine anything inside an engine making a clunking sound that would not cause the engine to grenade immediately if/when it was started.

Tim
0-200s usually don't knock, like car engine, they will run great right to the end, then they will come apart violently.

I checked the generator gears, they are loose, but they aren't that loose.

Back