Difference between the Rotax ULS 2 & 3 ...

Discussion in 'Home Builders and Sport Pilots' started by TreeTopFlyer83, May 5, 2019.

1. TreeTopFlyer83

TreeTopFlyer83 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    TreeTopFlyer83
    Help guys, it's you old aggravating friend with more questions about the Rotax engine. I have decided that will be the engine that I was going to put into a Kitfox STI but that has changed as well. I am going to go with the Rotax 912 ULS (100hp), I just need to know the difference between the 2 & 3? I know that the 2 is 6 lbs lighter than the 3 but all the other dimensions look the same. That being said and it may not even be relevant the new kit will be a Just Aircraft Highlander with the Rotax ULS. Also going to go with the Kiev #293 prop as I've read that setup works pretty great together. It's also about 700$ cheaper than the Whirlwind prop I was going to go with. Sorry for rambling on folks and thank you all for your time and information.

Andrew Morris likes this.
  2. Cluemeister

Cluemeister Line Up and Wait PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cluemeister
    I didn't know there was a 2 and a 3. Interested to hear the difference myself.

3. Andrew Morris

Andrew Morris Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jetcat3
    It has to do with the type of gearbox being installed. ULS2 refers to fixed pitch, ULS3 is for a hydraulic constant speed propeller.

TreeTopFlyer83 likes this.
  4. TreeTopFlyer83

TreeTopFlyer83 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    TreeTopFlyer83
    Thank you for that helpful information. I’m guessing the 2 would work fine since I’m not going with a constant speed prop. I simply refuse to spend north of 10 grand for a prop.