Diet and Exercise

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi everyone,

I had my gallbladder removed last month and have felt real great. After surgery the Dr. put me on a low fat, high carb diet. No caffeine and no carbonation.

I went back for my follow up and the Dr. said I could eat anything I want as long as I was careful and my body could tolerate it. Just take it easy for the first month or so.

So, I went to Walmart and bought me a $5 pedometer that clips on my belt. When I went in for the operation I weighed 182 #'s and now am down to 168 #'s.

I feel so much better! My kneesk don't hurt, which means no more Asperacream before going to bed.

I am walking approximately 2 miles a day.

Starting Monday, I am setting a goal of 5 miles of walking per day. I will work up to it gradually.

The reason for this post is I am 66 years old, was a little overweight when all this started. Now, I am feeling great.

At first, I had a tough time with the diet but I finally resolved myself to eating healthy.

I keep my fat intake below 3 grams per meal, snack on cutie oranges and carrots, and drink green tea and coffee, decafinated, and several glasses of water a day.

Wife has gone on this diet with me and she has lost weight too.

If I can do it, so can you! I only needed the incentive of gallbladder removal. :wink2:

If you have questions, feel free to ask. I am NOT a Dr. But I have learned how to eat healthy and I will be glad to share what I do as far as diet.

Right now there a roast in the smoker for tonight.

Terry

You've hit on the primary item soooo many Americans neglect to do.... east sensibly and get exercising. Poor eating choices and no exercises will lead to impending doom.

Congrats on your success!!! Keep it up!

Was that 14 lbs in one month? If so, that's great! Even if it was a longer period that is still pretty good.

I had been walking the dog every afternoon, 1/2 mile, and that is when I started losing the weight. Probably 1 1/2 month to lose the 14 pounds.

I walked over to the high school, 1/4 mile, and got on the track. (Rubberized) 4 laps is 1 mile. I walked a mile this morning and just finished walking the dog this afternoon.

I set my stride on my Pedometer for 29" and starting Monday, I will start working on reaching 5 miles a day.

You can always make an excuse not to do something. Every year starting at Thanksgiving, I would try and start losing weight. It was a constant struggle. This year I won't have to!

Terry :)

You've hit on the primary item soooo many Americans neglect to do.... east sensibly and get exercising. Poor eating choices and no exercises will lead to impending doom.

Congrats on your success!!! Keep it up!

Thanks,

The roast in the smoker consists of :
1. Shoulder Roast. (3 pounds and I cut it in half and smoke two roasts.) The fat is trimmed off.
2. Onions
3. Carrots
4. Pepper
5. Lemon Pepper Seasoning
6. Garlic salt
7. Green Bell Pepper
8. Seasoned Black Beans (1.5 gram fat)
9. Diced tomatoes with peppers. 1 small can, 1/2 in each roast.
10. Jalepino Peppers
11. Stubbs original Bar B Que Sauce. Very little sugar and also low fat.

I put this in a foil pans, 2 pans total, and then cover the pans with foil.
Boil a large pan of water for the smoker.
Add Mesquite wood chips. Soak the wood chips in water so they won't flame up and burn.
The roasts take six hours and will be so tender you won't need a knife.

I leave the juices in the pan because the wife takes the juices and makes a stew.

Eat a moderate amount and the watermelon for desert.

This is a healthy meal without the grease and fried food that caused me so much trouble.

Any questions, please ask.

Enjoy,

The body is a machine. You feed it right and work it hard, it will reward you with a sense of well being, being a better pilot, better sex, :eek:, a happier mate ( who in turn takes care of themselves better) and you set a good example for your kids and grand kids. :yes:

Thanks,

The roast in the smoker consists of :
1. Shoulder Roast. (3 pounds and I cut it in half and smoke two roasts.) The fat is trimmed off.
2. Onions
3. Carrots
4. Pepper
5. Lemon Pepper Seasoning
6. Garlic salt
7. Green Bell Pepper
8. Seasoned Black Beans (1.5 gram fat)
9. Diced tomatoes with peppers. 1 small can, 1/2 in each roast.
10. Jalepino Peppers
11. Stubbs original Bar B Que Sauce. Very little sugar and also low fat.

I put this in a foil pans, 2 pans total, and then cover the pans with foil.
Boil a large pan of water for the smoker.
Add Mesquite wood chips. Soak the wood chips in water so they won't flame up and burn.
The roasts take six hours and will be so tender you won't need a knife.

I leave the juices in the pan because the wife takes the juices and makes a stew.

Eat a moderate amount and the watermelon for desert.

This is a healthy meal without the grease and fried food that caused me so much trouble.

Any questions, please ask.

Enjoy,

Perhaps you and Rich need to collaborate on a PoA cookbook!

Just finished supper. Roast was "fork tender" and very good. Watermelon for desert.

When I lived in Georgia, my neighbor got me into smoking meat. I have two smokers, one electric and one charcoal.

It is the only way to go. Next week I will put up my Bar-B-Que chicken recipe.

And I continue to lose weight, enjoy food, and nothing is fried.

Terry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back