Diet and BP

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Just in case some of you are going through this, I offer up what I'm doing.

As you may know from other posts, about a month ago I was reading high on my BP. Today, I passed my medical, including the BP, though that part by the skin of my teeth.

Still, I've lowered my BP, AND lost weight, over this month by switching to a very aggressive diet which emphasizes fresh fruits and vegetables, low carbs, low fat and salt, limited alcohol, no caffeine, and only a little cooked food and dairy.

I know what you're thinking, and yes--it is VERY hard to do.

But this is the interesting part. My AME very rightly suggested I lower my BP, and told me about all the approved meds. Then, I told him my story. He came up with what I thought was an interesting plan.

He said, "OK, it sounds like your approach is working, but you're not at target at this point. Do this: Setup an appointment with your primary care physician for mid-November to discuss your BP, no matter how well this diet works. If your BP is on target, great--let her know, and have her document it. If it isn't where it needs to be, get medication." He said I should be 130/80 or lower, but I'm shooting for 120/80 or lower.

It feels lonely, because I'm the only one doing this. But the meals I eat with my wife, she will eat what I eat, despite the fact that she has very good BP. Aside from that, it is hard eating out, eating in the college cafe, etc.

I'll stay with it,though, and let you know how it goes! Maybe I'll be able to wear that expensive suit I bought for myself when I turned 35!

As you may know from other posts, about a month ago I was reading high on my BP. Today, I passed my medical, including the BP, though that part by the skin of my teeth.

Still, I've lowered my BP, AND lost weight, over this month by switching to a very aggressive diet which emphasizes fresh fruits and vegetables, low carbs, low fat and salt, limited alcohol, no caffeine, and only a little cooked food and dairy.

But this is the interesting part. My AME very rightly suggested I lower my BP, and told me about all the approved meds. Then, I told him my story. He came up with what I thought was an interesting plan.

He said, "OK, it sounds like your approach is working, but you're not at target at this point. Do this: Setup an appointment with your primary care physician for mid-November to discuss your BP, no matter how well this diet works. If your BP is on target, great--let her know, and have her document it. If it isn't where it needs to be, get medication." He said I should be 130/80 or lower, but I'm shooting for 120/80 or lower.

It feels lonely, because I'm the only one doing this. But the meals I eat with my wife, she will eat what I eat, despite the fact that she has very good BP. Aside from that, it is hard eating out, eating in the college cafe, etc.

I'll stay with it,though, and let you know how it goes! Maybe I'll be able to wear that expensive suit I bought for myself when I turned 35!

Good luck, Ben. You're a young guy, and it's a great thing to get this under control now, before it begins to control you. :thumbsup:

Good luck, Ben. You're a young guy, and it's a great thing to get this under control now, before it begins to control you. :thumbsup:

And I have to say thanks to Dr. Bruce and the other docs on this board who have been more than helpful to me and so many others on this and many other matters--all free of charge!

Are these guild lines cast in stone? I am maybe 15 pounds over my ideal weight, no smoke, moderate drinker, eat healthy, my BP is 140 / 90.

Are these guild lines cast in stone? I am maybe 15 pounds over my ideal weight, no smoke, moderate drinker, eat healthy, my BP is 140 / 90.

You mean the ideal BP? That's changed, I understand. My AME said 130/80 would make him happy, but I understand 120/80 to be what is considered "normal."

But for the exam, I was told that both numbers had to be at or below 150/90. It is the lower number that was giving me trouble. . . .

And I have to say thanks to Dr. Bruce and the other docs on this board who have been more than helpful to me and so many others on this and many other matters--all free of charge!

Just think of the service you get when you pay him! I just got my 2nd post-surgery Class III Medical from the good Dr. Bruce yesterday! :goofy:

Just think of the service you get when you pay him! I just got my 2nd post-surgery Class III Medical from the good Dr. Bruce yesterday! :goofy:

Dr. Bruce is an incredibly good doctor; and he's also a real mensch!

Ben, just keep a weather eye out for those killer carbohydrates

carbs_kill.jpg

My BP was too high last winter, 155/95. In April My family doc gave me information on the D.A.S.H diet and to knock off all caffeine and sodas.

I also bought a treadmill, although I'm not very good at keeping it in use.
I've lost 20 pounds and this week confirmed that my BP is now 135/75 and my heart rate is 77. Another 15 pounds to go.

Congrats on your life changes they will serve you well for several years to come.

The funny thing about essential hypertension is we don't know what really causes it. Just some items that may contribute to it. If its running 140/90 I encourage aerobic activity more days out of the week then not. Look up what your target heart rate is for exercising and start that brisk walking. The heart doesn't know if your running or walking fast and walking is so much easier!

Alcohol in moderation (2 drinks) is usually fine. Carbs are fine if your exercising like crazy if not then these should be limited. Fat should be no more than 30% of your calories. Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day to maintain a higher basal metabolism. You can find your base metabolic caloric needs on internet with some simple calculations. Eat 500 calories less then this a day and your going to lose weight.

One item that is overlooked by physicians is sleep apnea. When I see elevated b/p in the young and/or that which is difficult to control they must have a sleep study.

Just continue to have it checked. Most of my patients who have gastric bypass surgery are off their diabetes and htn Meds the next day. Within a year I have to put most back on some type of htn med again, even after they have lost 100 or more pounds.

Good luck and keep up the great work.

My BP was too high last winter, 155/95. In April My family doc gave me information on the D.A.S.H diet and to knock off all caffeine and sodas.

I also bought a treadmill, although I'm not very good at keeping it in use.
I've lost 20 pounds and this week confirmed that my BP is now 135/75 and my heart rate is 77. Another 15 pounds to go.

Congratulations!

Congrats on your life changes they will serve you well for several years to come.

The funny thing about essential hypertension is we don't know what really causes it. Just some items that may contribute to it. If its running 140/90 I encourage aerobic activity more days out of the week then not. Look up what your target heart rate is for exercising and start that brisk walking. The heart doesn't know if your running or walking fast and walking is so much easier!

Alcohol in moderation (2 drinks) is usually fine. Carbs are fine if your exercising like crazy if not then these should be limited. Fat should be no more than 30% of your calories. Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day to maintain a higher basal metabolism. You can find your base metabolic caloric needs on internet with some simple calculations. Eat 500 calories less then this a day and your going to lose weight.

One item that is overlooked by physicians is sleep apnea. When I see elevated b/p in the young and/or that which is difficult to control they must have a sleep study.

Just continue to have it checked. Most of my patients who have gastric bypass surgery are off their diabetes and htn Meds the next day. Within a year I have to put most back on some type of htn med again, even after they have lost 100 or more pounds.

Good luck and keep up the great work.

Thanks, Doc! What you've outlined is essentially what I'm doing. My diet now is aggressive, and near-vegan (less than 5% of calories from dairy, and no meat). No caffeine or sodas, either. Late night snack is a carrot.

It is hard, but it is definitely working!

Most of my patients who have gastric bypass surgery are off their diabetes and htn Meds the next day. Within a year I have to put most back on some type of htn med again, even after they have lost 100 or more pounds.

By the way, why do you think this happens?

UPDATE:

The past few days my BP has been averaging 125/78. I've also now lost a total of seven pounds.

Can you believe that? It has only been five weeks!

And I have to reiterate: I am not taking any drugs!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back