Diesel Skyhawk

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
Wow! Anyone else get the feeling the rules are about to change...

Hamburg - The core product of Thielert Aircraft Engines GmbH, the Centurion 1.7 diesel aircraft engine, will now be installed in brand-new Cessna 172 Skyhawk aircraft. Van Bortel Aircraft, Inc. from Arlington, USA will be responsible for replacing the conventional engines. Van Bortel will then sell the diesel Cessnas worldwide. As the world's largest Cessna reseller, Van Bortel will be supported in its activities by Cessna Aircraft Company (Wichita, USA). Van Bortel is currently presenting its new product at the AOPA Convention in Palm Springs, USA. The cooperation will give general aviation pilots a further opportunity to purchase a brand-new aircraft with state-of-the-art, fuel-efficient and easy-to-operate diesel engine technology. Thielert has been offering retrofit kits for older Cessna 172 for the past three years.

When this starts taking off, you'll really have to watch to make sure they fill you up with the right grade of fuel!

and then we'll see Jet-A prices go higher than 100LL, just like diesel fuel surpassed regular unleaded gasoline a while ago and continues to remain priced well above gasoline.

Too bad you will not be able to run diesel in it. Biodiesel is intrigueing to me now.

gkainz said:
and then we'll see Jet-A prices go higher than 100LL, just like diesel fuel surpassed regular unleaded gasoline a while ago and continues to remain priced well above gasoline.

Isn't one of the advatnages of this engine is that it can run on either Jet-A or 100LL?? Or am I just confused on this one?

smigaldi said:
Isn't one of the advatnages of this engine is that it can run on either Jet-A or 100LL?? Or am I just confused on this one?
I believe that's negative.

According to http://www.centurion-engines.com/

Centurion 1.7
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
nav_act.gif
Technical Data
Fuel: Jet A1 and Diesel (EN 590) in any mixture ratio

But dang ... 4 - 5.3 gal/hr

Greg Bockelman said:
Too bad you will not be able to run diesel in it. Biodiesel is intrigueing to me now.
Yeah, me, too... I just haven't taken the leap to making my own ... would love to go together with a few others around here and make the cummins a french fry oil burner ...

Even if the price does go higher, these things still sip fuel. Plus the computer takes care of all of the mixture settings for you.

Our local traffic operation was sold on this and will soon be operating his fleet on these engines. He felt it was the best value for his money.

I saw an ad for a turboprop skyhawk somewhere yesterday, will try to find it tomorrow. It's like they're breaking the basic aviation rule that a 172 is filled with 100LL.

You are confused.

smigaldi said:

Back