Didn't know this about a 530W

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
It will simultaneously drive two CDIs. One with GPS info, the other with VOR/LOC info.

I wonder if my 430W does the same. But alas, only one CDI in my airplane.

But what happens if the 530W craps out? I would like to have the second CDI driven by something else.

But what happens if the 530W craps out? I would like to have the second CDI driven by something else.

You turn the selector switch for the backup CDI to the 'NAV2' setting.

I only have one nav to begin with, so if the 430 dies I'm screwed either way :-(

The little GA plane I often rent has a round-gauge indicator (CDI with GS) that toggles back and forth between the VOR and GPS courses as I press the CDI button on the Garmin 430.

And, the Dynon EFIS has an electronic HSI with a separate "NAV SRC" button with adjacent lights labeled GPS and NAV, suggesting that the electronic HSI may simultaneously show deviation from the GPS course while the round-gauge CDI shows deviation from the selected VOR course, or vice versa.

Not sure why I'd want to do this, but I'm gonna check if it works.

I think the question is whether or not the 430 has a separate signal interface for NAV. On my Turbo Arrow, I had a NAV selector switch for the second CDI but I don't know (remember) if just read whatever common output was selected on the 430, or if it was wired directly to a dedicated NAV output. NAV2 was a radio.

Any time that I have seen a glass installation I have, or even most HSI installations. No reason you can't do it on a regular CDI.

Yes, but in your world of aviation, pixies ride on winged unicorns, and airplanes engines run on candy.

Yes, but in your world of aviation, pixies ride on winged unicorns, and airplanes engines run on candy.

If you mean I have experience with planes where the owners don't squeak when they walk and will spend an extra $50 to install a switch that buys redundancy; then yes, that is the world of aviation I live in. I've worked on the planes of squeaky owners, I don't particularly care to fly in them, but some are worse than others.

It will simultaneously drive two CDIs. One with GPS info, the other with VOR/LOC info.

I wonder if my 430W does the same. But alas, only one CDI in my airplane.

Section 4.4 ("Main Indicator") of the installation manual seems to indicate that the 430/430W only supports one OBS display. Where are you seeing that the 530W supports more than one? What term is used in the manual? I'll check my copies again once I know what you're looking at.

I've never run into one of those in a GA plane.

Hearing it one more time 'cause it's POA - the 'kota used to have a selector switch for the second CDI 'cause it was tied to both the LORAN and NAV2.

My EHSI is like that, I can have my 530 drive the Nav head on a VOR or whatever but still select GPS1 on the EHSI.

And if that crapped out, I have my 430, just hit the button and the EHSI displays GPS2 and flip Nav head to NAV 2, or any combo in between.

Section 4.4 ("Main Indicator") of the installation manual seems to indicate that the 430/430W only supports one OBS display. Where are you seeing that the 530W supports more than one? What term is used in the manual? I'll check my copies again once I know what you're looking at.

I was instructing in an Aero Commander 500B, just like Bob Hoover's. I haven't read any support material, only directly experienced the operation. I have had a 430 and 430W since inception and am just wondering if the 430W does the same. I wouldn't know from experience, because my own 430W is only connected to one CDI.

On the AC-500B the Sandel HSI is set up to take information from just about anything, normally GPS from 530W #1.

There is a separate CDI that also takes VOR/LOC info only from the #1 530W.

They work together at the same time, so the #1 530W is supplying both GPS and VHF NAV information simultaneously.

I know there are small subtle differences in the 430 and 530, and am wondering if this is one of those, or if they are the same in this "dual" operation capability.

I was instructing in an Aero Commander 500B, just like Bob Hoover's. I haven't read any support material, only directly experienced the operation. I have had a 430 and 430W since inception and am just wondering if the 430W does the same. I wouldn't know from experience, because my own 430W is only connected to one CDI.

On the AC-500B the Sandel HSI is set up to take information from just about anything, normally GPS from 530W #1.

There is a separate CDI that also takes VOR/LOC info only from the #1 530W.

They work together at the same time, so the #1 530W is supplying both GPS and VHF NAV information simultaneously.

I know there are small subtle differences in the 430 and 530, and am wondering if this is one of those, or if they are the same in this "dual" operation capability.

I wish I would have thought to try with the 310 because I even had a spare head.

Back