Didn't have to surrender my certificate today...

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
...because a CFI ticket is a separate certificate.

One result fo the fiasco surrounding the NTSB's recommendation that the Zodiac fleet be grounded was that my original pilot examiner backed out on me. I'd located one near Janesville, WI, and today the weather cooperated enough that I could go take the checkride.

Big Foot Airport, 7V3, near Janesville is 261 nautical miles from Fairmont. I'd set my alarm for 5 AM, hoping to be in the air by 6:30. I woke up at 4. I still launched about 6:30, due to lots of stuff that needed doing before I left. The big front that swept through earlier this week towed a little cold front behind it, and that kept ceilings at 2-3000 feet for the first part of the trip. I deviated to the south to get out from under it, and climbed up to 9500, where I had a good stiff tailwind...I was seeing groundspeeds of 145-150 knots.

I beat the examiner to the airport. When he got there, we talked for a bit, and then we started formally. He went over paperwork, found it all in order, made checkmarks on his list, and got through everything.

The oral wasn't quite as grueling as I'd been led to believe. It was mainly a discussion, more than questions and answers, though we covered a wide range of material. There were a couple of times I gave wrong answers initially, but my reply to "really?" was to look it up. That was perfectly acceptable, and one of them led into a discussion of preparation for lessons.

He had me give him a ground lesson on turns about a point. I pulled out my pre-written lesson plan and did so. He had me give a couple of other explanations; I used the whiteboard liberally to help. I didn't think I'd have any trouble with that, and I didn't.

I'd been sweating the oral portion related to the fundamentals of instruction. That was the easiest part: the examiner asked me a couple of questions, and said he felt the rest was just good practice. I said I felt it mainly boiled down to customer service, and he agreed.

The flight part wasn't too difficult, but I had a brain fade in a couple of spots. I didn't make one radio call the entire flight. (Those of you who have flown with me will know just how unusual this is for me.) I also bungled the short field takeoff, but not badly enough for a bust, and forgot to deploy the flaps for the emergency landing - but the forward slip I used instead checked off another box on the form, so that one was a wash.

The examiner told me, afterwards, that he was quite impressed with my oral performance, and that he felt I'd make a good instructor. His son listened in on part of the oral, with my permission, and the examiner said that he'd commented on how that seemed like it was how an oral should go.

The flight home took forever. I stopped at Janesville for fuel and a late lunch; the flight home from there took 3.2, with a 30-knot headwind most of the way. I didn't mind too badly.

I've got the paper certificate in my logbook. Yay! I'm glad to get that finished, finally.

Congrats, Jay!

Way to go Jay... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile::smile::smile::smilewinkgrin:

A BIG congrats..

Ben.

Jay, that absolutely rocks.

Great job Jay. Did you wear the Tron outfit during the checkride?

:smilewinkgrin:

Did you wear the Tron outfit during the checkride?
No, but when it was all over and I had the temporary certificate safely tucked away, I gave the guy a signed copy of the picture of me in the costume with the airplane...

That's great news, Jay! Even more rewarding with the extra effort of the trip to make it happen!

No, but when it was all over and I had the temporary certificate safely tucked away, I gave the guy a signed copy of the picture of me in the costume with the airplane...

A dyed in the wool, true celebrity!

Glad it worked out, sounded like the distractions with all the airplane stuff were more difficult than the training and preparation for the ride.

PS: Did the kid say anything about your costume?

...because a CFI ticket is a separate certificate.

One result fo the fiasco surrounding the NTSB's recommendation that the Zodiac fleet be grounded was that my original pilot examiner backed out on me. I'd located one near Janesville, WI, and today the weather cooperated enough that I could go take the checkride.

Big Foot Airport, 7V3, near Janesville is 261 nautical miles from Fairmont. I'd set my alarm for 5 AM, hoping to be in the air by 6:30. I woke up at 4. I still launched about 6:30, due to lots of stuff that needed doing before I left. The big front that swept through earlier this week towed a little cold front behind it, and that kept ceilings at 2-3000 feet for the first part of the trip. I deviated to the south to get out from under it, and climbed up to 9500, where I had a good stiff tailwind...I was seeing groundspeeds of 145-150 knots.

I beat the examiner to the airport. When he got there, we talked for a bit, and then we started formally. He went over paperwork, found it all in order, made checkmarks on his list, and got through everything.

The oral wasn't quite as grueling as I'd been led to believe. It was mainly a discussion, more than questions and answers, though we covered a wide range of material. There were a couple of times I gave wrong answers initially, but my reply to "really?" was to look it up. That was perfectly acceptable, and one of them led into a discussion of preparation for lessons.

He had me give him a ground lesson on turns about a point. I pulled out my pre-written lesson plan and did so. He had me give a couple of other explanations; I used the whiteboard liberally to help. I didn't think I'd have any trouble with that, and I didn't.

I'd been sweating the oral portion related to the fundamentals of instruction. That was the easiest part: the examiner asked me a couple of questions, and said he felt the rest was just good practice. I said I felt it mainly boiled down to customer service, and he agreed.

The flight part wasn't too difficult, but I had a brain fade in a couple of spots. I didn't make one radio call the entire flight. (Those of you who have flown with me will know just how unusual this is for me.) I also bungled the short field takeoff, but not badly enough for a bust, and forgot to deploy the flaps for the emergency landing - but the forward slip I used instead checked off another box on the form, so that one was a wash.

The examiner told me, afterwards, that he was quite impressed with my oral performance, and that he felt I'd make a good instructor. His son listened in on part of the oral, with my permission, and the examiner said that he'd commented on how that seemed like it was how an oral should go.

The flight home took forever. I stopped at Janesville for fuel and a late lunch; the flight home from there took 3.2, with a 30-knot headwind most of the way. I didn't mind too badly.

I've got the paper certificate in my logbook. Yay! I'm glad to get that finished, finally.

Big CONGRATS Jay! You should be proud. I enjoyed reading your story and was ready to read more. Whats next on the "list"? Keep set'n goals, it's what works for me anyway.:D

That's GREAT Jay! Congrats - that is quite the achievement!

Tim

Was it with Jim Bair?

Last edited:

That seems fair, trading your signature for the examiner's. Who paid whom?:D

In any case, congrats Jay.

hearty congrats. Initial CFI cert, no matter the rating, is no walk in the park. great job Jay!

The examiner told me, afterwards, that he was quite impressed with my oral performance
:yikes::yikes:

I think I would have phrased that a little differently!! :) :)

But nonetheless congrats Jay.

Bigfoot is an interesting little strip. It is not too far from my home aerodrome, 10C. I have landed the Cherokee in there before. Cool that you found a DE to meet you there.

I think I would have phrased that a little differently!!
Get your mind out of my gutter.

Bigfoot is an interesting little strip. It is not too far from my home aerodrome, 10C.
Yes...in fact, I considered using Galt on the emergency landing, but Dacy wound up being enough closer that I picked it instead.

Cool that you found a DE to meet you there.
Not just that: it's his home airfield. He keeps a Super Decathlon, an R22, and a trike there.

Whats next on the "list"?
Next is a taildragger signoff. There are a couple of folks at KFRM who have LSA-eligible taildraggers and would probably have me do flight reviews for them. After that is an ASES rating. I just found out the other day there's a guy who teaches in a J-3 on floats not all that far from me. Beyond that, who knows?

I'm gonna give it a bit before I dive back into the training routine, though.

Initial CFI cert, no matter the rating, is no walk in the park.
I'll second that, and note that I believe that I got the same checkride that an applicant for CFI-Airplane would have except for not having to do the commercial maneuvers. The examiner's philosophy is that a CFI-SP needs to be trained and tested to the same standards as CFI-A for those things that are common, in order to ensure that sport pilots are trained to the same level of safety, and I completely agree.

What's involved in an additional instructor rating checkride, anyway? Am I correct in assuming that the whole big long oral about teaching and aerodynamics and all the rest is not needed, and that the oral just covers those things that are specific to the new rating?

Last edited:
I'm gonna give it a bit before I dive back into the training routine, though.

Good move. I've been doing that between CP-ASEL & AMEL-IA and my CFI ratings. Of course, I've had a few other things going on, so I've still flown close to 100 hours so far this year.

Although, people are yelling at me to get my instructor ratings done, so I guess I better get started on that. ;)

Good move. I've been doing that between CP-ASEL & AMEL-IA and my CFI ratings. Of course, I've had a few other things going on, so I've still flown close to 100 hours so far this year.

Although, people are yelling at me to get my instructor ratings done, so I guess I better get started on that. ;)
You an instructor?? OMG!! You don't respect the Magenta Line of Death (MLoD), how could you ever be a CFI!?!

:rofl::rofl:

You an instructor?? OMG!! You don't respect the Magenta Line of Death (MLoD), how could you ever be a CFI!?!

:rofl::rofl:

What do you mean I don't respect it? I get along very well with it. We have a loving relationship. ;)

Actually, I only have the monochrome gray line of peril (MGLoP) in my plane presently. Avionics upgrade hasn't happened yet. When it does, I'll get my MLoD upgrade. :)

What do you mean I don't respect it? I get along very well with it. We have a loving relationship. ;)

Actually, I only have the monochrome gray line of peril (MGLoP) in my plane presently. Avionics upgrade hasn't happened yet. When it does, I'll get my MLoD upgrade. :)
Yes that is the problem, you do not respect how the MLoD can turn on you and kill you in an instant!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D

Yes that is the problem, you do not respect how the MLoD can turn on you and kill you in an instant!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D

Maybe if you invited it out to dinner more often it'd like you better. ;)

Ok, squawking 7500. End of transmission. Back to congratulating Jay on his achievement! :yes:

Good job, Jay! I'm sure you will do fine with the tailwheel add-on... and it will be a lot more fun. :D

No not your instructor ratingS... just the instrument instructor!

Attaboy Jay!!!! Great news. I'm very happy for you.

Andrew

What's involved in an additional instructor rating checkride, anyway? Am I correct in assuming that the whole big long oral about teaching and aerodynamics and all the rest is not needed, and that the oral just covers those things that are specific to the new rating?

Get a copy of the CFI Practical Test Standards and it will explain everything that you need to do. Of course. first you need a CPL with an Instrument rating. You can be a Glider CFI without the Instrument rating.

Skyking:smile::blueplane:

That's not training, that's just dinking around the pattern until the instructor gets bored and signs you off.
...hopefully without bending the airplane first.

Still, it's not exactly a trivial transition for a guy who never flew anything that really needed using the rudder in all phases of flight, not just steep turns and crosswind landings...

Back