Did we lose Mr. Levy?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Uh oh - it appears we may have lost Mr. Levy. Since the AOPA forums opened, I haven't seen him here once.

Please tell me its not true - he's like my hero! :)

Seriously tho, I would be kinda curious - there are some questions that I'll post to get everyone's answer, including Ron's. I'd like to know if I should post them over at AOPA.

Nick;
The short answer is some of PoA subscribers have gone back to AOPA lock,stock, and barrel. Even Greebo is over there, although he does come home occasionally. Some are in both places all the time. I've also noticed a couple of crosspostings.
I've been split between the two, but like PoA's presentation better. AOPA's overuse of deep red hurts my eyes. It's not as easy to navigate but that may be the additional mods Greebo put on. Overall, I keep both open and bounce back and forth.

silver-eagle said:
Nick;
The short answer is some of PoA subscribers have gone back to AOPA lock,stock, and barrel.

I check them both .. but have no intention of abandoning POA. When
AOPA pulled rug out POA stepped up and gave us a home. That means
a lot.

RogerT said:
I check them both .. but have no intention of abandoning POA. When
AOPA pulled rug out POA stepped up and gave us a home. That means
a lot.

Me too

yeah - all I do is browse their forums, I think I have yet to post there. Just doesn't seem to have the same brotherhood (gender non specific brotherhood) that POA has. I hate to lose someone like Ron tho.

C'est la vie.

I was just thinking that the AOPA board has lost something in the translation. I post here and I post there. But I like it here better. I think the people here are of a higher caliber than what I have seen lately over there.

Doesn't mean that I won't visit there. I am addicted to these aviation related web boards.

Greg Bockelman said:
But I like it here better. I think the people here are of a higher caliber than what I have seen lately over there.
I can tell you the medical questions over there are of a completely DIFFERENT variety.....:-0

Bruce I can think of at least one post over there that I never expected to see anywhere!!:rolleyes: Otherwise they do seem a bit more serious in nature. Serious relating to maladies that is. Perhaps its just because that board has a larger number of members there fore a wider variation of "issues".

The last Cap'n Ron post on PoA was July 7th. The last on AOPA was July 12th. Maybe he's on vacation.
The flavor on AOPA is different. Also, there seems to be a lot of GUESTs there all the time.
Stick around folks. Both boards offer good things. And as others have said, PoA stepped up to fill a need when AOPA bailed out. Who's to say their experiment won't fold on the first 'bad' post.

This is still home for me, unless I see it is not viable. Already have seen some ugly trends developing.

Like the junkie, I always look for more of the drug... in this case, the airplane drug.

Expensive medicine!

Greg Bockelman said:
I was just thinking that the AOPA board has lost something in the translation. I post here and I post there. But I like it here better. I think the people here are of a higher caliber than what I have seen lately over there.

Doesn't mean that I won't visit there. I am addicted to these aviation related web boards.

And something else. Before on that board most people logged on with their real names or at least part of the name. And here most people do that. But now there are so many oddball nicks I can't keep up with who is who unless it's pretty obvious.

There are some holes in their system.

RogerT said:
I check them both .. but have no intention of abandoning POA.

Right, me too. I'll check them both and plan to hang in at POA. Though, I have noticed some of the old sharp retorts and exchanges are creeping back into the AOPA forums already. That makes me uncomfortable.

Jim

I like both, but it's hard to keep up with both. Ron has been at the AYA convention.

Ron is big in the Grumman community, there is some kind of annual Grumman meeting going on I think (I'm on the mailing list, but I sort of skim it so I can't say I'm totally clear on the details).

I bet Ron is probably busy and maybe doesn't have access.

silver-eagle said:
Even Greebo is over there, although he does come home occasionally.
Yeah but I mainly only post over there to help with technical support, and because I've got PoA linked in my signature. ;) (Silent marketing)

Carol said:
And something else. Before on that board most people logged on with their real names or at least part of the name. And here most people do that. But now there are so many oddball nicks I can't keep up with who is who unless it's pretty obvious.

There are some holes in their system.

I agree, Carol. That really bothers me. Maybe I just to old or never had a CB radio. It's hard enough to communicate on the web without trying to figure out who you're talking to. I hope AOPA would require real names.

Chuck, Ron hasn't been on since 7/7 he has been on AOPA. Did he resign as a moderator?:(

AdamZ said:
Chuck, Ron hasn't been on since 7/7 he has been on AOPA. Did he resign as a moderator?:(
If he has, he hasn't done it officially.

When we know something, you'll know something.

silver-eagle said:
The last Cap'n Ron post on PoA was July 7th. The last on AOPA was July 12th. Maybe he's on vacation.
Doesn't anybody here read the AYA Events calendar? We left for the AYA annual convention in Sacramento CA on July 7th, and didn't get back until yesterday. I had only one chance to check the boards in the last 12 days, and that was only one forum on the AOPA board. I cleared the AOPA board last night, and this one this morning. I was much too busy flying, partying, meeting, greeting, and generally having a real good time to spend much time on line.

We put over 45 hours on the Cheeger, mostly on the transcontinental trip, but also flying at the convention, including several 4-ship formation flights, as well as a number of flying events, where I took third place in every event I entered (nothing like consistency) -- the Tiger class of the Third Annual Roy LoPresti Memorial Air Race, the Spot Landing, and the Flour Bomb Drop (with the able assistance of retired A-7 pilot Mike Babin flying my plane and me in my old A-6 B/N role dropping the bomb).

So I never got lost, just got temporarily misplaced.

Ron Levy said:
We put over 45 hours on the Cheeger, mostly on the transcontinental trip, but also flying at the convention, including several 4-ship formation flights, as well as a number of flying events, where I took third place in every event I entered (nothing like consistency) -- the Tiger class of the Third Annual Roy LoPresti Memorial Air Race, the Spot Landing, and the Flour Bomb Drop (with the able assistance of retired A-7 pilot Mike Babin flying my plane and me in my old A-6 B/N role dropping the bomb).

Wow! Sounds like you had a great time. I was curious though. How do you see well enough to aim your drops from a low wing aircraft?
:dunno:

Frank Browne said:
I was curious though. How do you see well enough to aim your drops from a low wing aircraft?
:dunno:

See attached photo:

Ron Levy said:
Doesn't anybody here read the AYA Events calendar? We left for the AYA annual convention in Sacramento CA on July 7th, and didn't get back until yesterday. I had only one chance to check the boards in the last 12 days, and that was only one forum on the AOPA board. I cleared the AOPA board last night, and this one this morning. I was much too busy flying, partying, meeting, greeting, and generally having a real good time to spend much time on line.

Glad to hear that you had a great time, nothing like a type club convention for a good time. There is a heap of work putting one together though.

Getting over the big rocks, safely, goodonya.. :) 45 hours total, how much of that was on the cross country?

I go to both. Usually looking for an interesting aviation thread. Boy the tone of the soapbox thread at AOPA deteriorated rather quickly. I must confess I enjoy the occasional chaos that can break out over there. Its like letting a bunch of Alpha male dogs play together, occasional one starts to bite and then it's an all out nasty fight.

POA does a much better job of controlling those "dogs" more prone to bite. that includes yours truly.. ;) ;) ;) .

To answer all questions at once...

Yes, we had a GREAT time.

The bomb drop is done with the canopy open and one arm and shoulder over the side, releasing the bomb off the trailing edge. Sighting is done over the side of the cowl ahead of the wing.

About 38 Hobbs hours on the cross-country itself, which included a detour up to Boise to see friends. The guy who came from Nashua NH came the farthest, beating me by a couple of hundred miles each way, and the couple from Ft Myers FL by just a skosh.

Thread creep: seating comfort

38 hours of cross country, even if broken up into small segments is a long time to sit in a small GA plane.

Is there a secret to making it comfortable? Is it the basic cabin configuration and/or seating position of the model? The specific padding and structure of the seat?

What is it that people find that make their plane tolerable or intolerable for long legs?

I for one would love to read the write up on this one, route, stops, etc. 38 hours, wow. If you find time Ron, endulge us.
Don

Re: Thread creep: seating comfort

Larry Liebscher said:
What is it that people find that make their plane tolerable or intolerable for long legs?

Body contouring foam. I have some on order to do the F24 seats

Ron Levy said:
Doesn't anybody here read the AYA Events calendar? We left for the AYA annual convention in Sacramento CA on July 7th, and didn't get back until yesterday.

Sounds like a great trip Ron. I wish I could have made it, but just TOO much going on right now. It would have been an easy flight from Denver. Sigh.

Anthony said:
Sounds like a great trip Ron. I wish I could have made it, but just TOO much going on right now. It would have been an easy flight from Denver. Sigh.

You've come a long way now that Sacarmento is an easy flight. Welcome to the West.:yes:

whew. Glad you're still here.

That sounds like a freaking blast - seems that's what aircraft ownership is all about.

Someday. Someday.

ejensen said:
You've come a long way now that Sacarmento is an easy flight. Welcome to the West.:yes:

Yeah, things change. But notice, I haven't actually flown the route yet.

I was going to ask you to go with me, but work got in the way. :)

Re: Thread creep: seating comfort

Larry Liebscher said:
Is there a secret to making it comfortable? Is it the basic cabin configuration and/or seating position of the model? The specific padding and structure of the seat?

I just flew from Wisconsin to Texas and back a few weeks ago (coinciding with Gaston's), which included my longest leg ever, 4.8 from EFD to SIK.

Three things which I think made the trip tolerable:

1) A larger, more comfortable plane (C182). Previous longer legs in Archers and 172's have left me somewhat cramped after only a couple of hours. (I'm 6'4".)

2) A comfortable ANR headset. In my case, a Lightspeed Twenty 3G. I used to have to constantly adjust my passive headset because it always gave me an achy spot on top of my head. I can wear the Lightspeed for hours and almost forget it's there. I think sustained loud noise might cause tension as well, but one of the docs here will have to expand on that.

3) A good GPS/Autopilot combo. Our 182 has a Garmin 430 and an S-TEC two-axis autopilot with GPSS and altitude hold. Punch and twist a bunch before takeoff, but once you're in the air... Wow. Getting a bit tired and need to take a break? Punch two or three buttons and the plane will fly itself, allowing you to stretch your arms and legs briefly. Of course, too much auto-flying deadens the brain as well, so turning the toys off and flying by hand should be mixed in.

The combination of comfortable airplane, comfortable headset, and mixing hand flying with gadget flying allowed me to fly 8 hours with one stop and still feel pretty good at the end.

Back