Did the tower mess up? Or do I share responsibility?

That's another question I had.

I'm not piling on but why did I have to abandon a less than 1 mile final because of traffic behind and above(do right of way rules apply in a Class C environment? I'm not sure of that answer)..?

I feel like the twin could have been made to do a 360, an S turn, or even go around. But I just followed directions.

OP, you did fine, the controller screwed up. N00b.

They know the flight school planes there, and they'll send you around instead of the bigger guys every time. Think of it this way - A go-around costs you about 10 bucks. It probably costs a 340 50 bucks to go around, so even at an uncontrolled field I'd let them in.

As Clark explained above, "Go Around" is not the best answer. First, as he pointed out, it puts the faster plane in a "must land" situation, second it makes your own pattern larger, might as well take the short cut back to final to drop in behind him.

Not really. They run patterns on both sides of the runways routinely there. The "turn west" and the incorrect turn direction means the controller was shooting from the hip and not really on his game at that particular moment - Normally you'd hear "Go around, make right traffic".

Not all tower controllers have such a display.

This tower does. It's a primary class C up-down facility, and there's a scope in the tower.

My favorite bit of low tech in the facility: When the tower controller clears a plane for takeoff, he drops the strip (still in its plastic carrier) into one of two open 3" or so diameter pipes marked "East" and "West" (normally the TRACON is split into a west sector on 135.45 and an east sector on 120.1 for MSN departures and 119.15 for farther east, during OSH that freq will get a separate controller). It gains enough momentum during the fall from the tower to slide through a horizontal portion and drop into a basket next to the appropriate departure controller. Every so often, one of the strips gets stuck in the pipe. On those occasions, there's a giant metal ball that they drop down the pipe to clear it. :D

Same thing happened to me at KRYY..
Class D very close to Atlanta Class B..

Me :172 - 20 miles out..
- contact tower
- instructions - right base for XX runway...
- 5 miles out.. I get cleared for landing #1.. with a Cessna Citation on a 10 mile final...
- I ask for validation.. I get 'affirmative'
- I turn base-final.
- Tower : Keep your speed up.. there is a Citation coming up on your tail...
- I am 300' AGL, full flaps, short final, 65 kts... and I get the 'right turn for separation'...
- The words 'unable' almost came out...... but did the turn...

Got to stay on your toes..

Back