Did the FAA just shut down all flights without a flight plan?

My head just exploded from reading it. I love the language that only crew members can be onboard. Can't wait to hear what this is really about.

Sounds like it only concerns large non US registered aircraft.

That said I just glanced over it.

That said I'd still fly my plane anyway.

I read it as applying to aircraft over 100,000 pounds GVW. Requiring them to be on a VFR/IVR flight plane. I wouldn't think that too many aircraft of that size would be flying without a flight plan anyway. Two other NOTAMS appear to be companions and address foreign aircraft coming into the US.

Well, I don't see anything that exempts aircraft under 100,000 pounds. The notams that it replaces - two are over 100,000 pounds only, the third is internationally registered aircraft only.

This one is badly written. A strict reading seems to indicate that it applies to everyone. But nothing from AOPA, NBAA or EAA.

What a mess our NOTAM system is.

Sure would be nice if the FAA left the 1960s and learned to NOT TYPE EVERYTHING IN ALL CAPS! That said, it's badly written, poor grammar, and breaks sections in the middle of sentences. I plan to ignore it.

I agree, Bill. I didn't see anything about only applying to aircraft over 100,000 lbs. I wonder what it going on.

Well, I don't see anything that exempts aircraft under 100,000 pounds. The notams that it replaces - two are over 100,000 pounds only, the third is internationally registered aircraft only.

This one is badly written. A strict reading seems to indicate that it applies to everyone. But nothing from AOPA, NBAA or EAA.

What a mess our NOTAM system is.

This was my concern too. The 100k limit appears to only apply to one sub-paragraph in each section. If it's supposed to apply to all subparagraphs, it is indeed very poorly written.

Item 4 of part 2: non US registered and over 100,309 lbs.

Such a specific number, you gotta wonder what's up with that? 100,308 pounds okay, 100,309 and you've got an F15 on each wing :dunno:

That's not a big airplane, then. Embraer 190 size (170 squeeks just under).

45,500 kilograms for most of the rest of the world.

So what does the rest of the world have to do with flight restrictions in the US where we don't use kilograms? ;)

Back