Did I need anything from ATC?

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
Flew a 650 mile hour cross country a few days ago and ran into a few walls of towering clouds.

Climbed over the first wall at 12,500 just barely made it over. No O2 onboard and climb rates at that altitude are rather anemic, definitely didn’t want to go much higher.

The next wall comes up looking even taller than the first (can’t see the ends in either direction to the side), so we decide to go under this time. Bases were about 5,500 so seemed ok at first. Then, just when we get to the mountains they drop to somewhere around 4,500-5,000. I can see the tops of the mountains below the clouds, but there’s no much space between and the viz is pretty bad. Then I break into a tailor made clearing a good 5 miles in diameter all the way up, so I decide, no way I’m going under those things, let’s circle up through this clearing and go over again.

I’m on flight following so I let them know I’m going to circle up and try to get over the clouds. The controller asks if I need anything. I say no, just trying to get over the clouds. We again just barely make it over the clouds at 12,500 by heading to the lowest spot. After that it was smooth sailing to destination.

But now, a couple days later and after reading this thread, I’m wondering if they could have helped in some way I’m not aware of. I didn’t need to divert because of the clearing and I could make it over. But was there something they could have assisted with had I asked? We’re they just concerned that I was trying to fly in the cloud and making up a story about a clearing?

They may have had some local knowledge (pilot reports, etc) of where around you the bases or tops would be more favorable.. maybe if you got more trapped they could help with vectors to a decently vfr airport or something

I probably would have done the same thing you did though

I assume you mean that you "just barely made it over" while maintaining 1000' above the clouds. If not, then you should have turned back.

I assume you mean that you "just barely made it over" while maintaining 1000' above the clouds. If not, then you should have turned back.
Yes, and I could have climbed to 14,000 for less than half an hour if needed, which is what I was trying to avoid by going under, but I made it over at 12,500. That’s as high as I’ve taken the mooney, I don’t really want to go higher without O2, as the climb takes so long, it feels like it would take the entire 1/2 hournto get another 500 feet.

Yep, you could have asked for a way around the clouds. I assume you are not IFR rated? They can see the precip pretty much real time and can give or ask for tops for you.

They may have had some local knowledge (pilot reports, etc) of where around you the bases or tops would be more favorable.. maybe if you got more trapped they could help with vectors to a decently vfr airport or something

I probably would have done the same thing you did though

That would pretty much be about it. They can’t make the clouds go away. If he was within the footprint of a Surface Area they could have given SVFR up to 10,000 feet but I doubt very much that was what was on their mind

Yep, you could have asked for a way around the clouds. I assume you are not IFR rated? They can see the precip pretty much real time and can give or ask for tops for you.

I was the only traffic around, so I doubt they knew any more than I did about tops.

Back