Did I just total fail ?

jaybee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jaybee
I recently purchased a Nexus 7 Tablet (without 4G), with the intent of using as a kneeboard. I was showing off the Garmin Pilot app to my wife when she asks -

"don't you need to have a 4G or wifi connection to use that while flying ?"

:cryin::incazzato::dunno:

Soooo..... options from here ?

Cheer up. You're good.
No in-flight data connection required.

The maps reside on the device.
The GPS (or bluetooth connection to external GPS) is independent of data connection.

Agreed..with those apps data is downloaded to the tablet so all is good. Always preflight the tablet before flight to make sure you have the needed downloads. However, since you have wifi only version you will need an external GPS source for it to have GPS signal.

And garmin has a GPS for that.
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/garmin-gdl-39-3d-with-battery-bluetooth.html

There are way cheaper versions but you get the idea. This one is comparable to the stratus 2 which is what I use with foreflight and love it.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Nexus 7 Tablet (without 4G), with the intent of using as a kneeboard. I was showing off the Garmin Pilot app to my wife when she asks -

No, no connection required for basic function in flight. You will need a GDL-39 to get ADS-B in products like weather and traffic. The 3D model will get you 6 pack faux panel, but as for now, no SVT on the Android platform.

Phew !

So after googling that, is the GLO with Bluetooth a good fit ?

and how are ya'll attaching it to your kneeboard ?

EDIT - ya'll are fast this morning... so GLO no traffic/weather GDL 39 get traffic/weather

Last edited:
The glo will work. Are you wanting traffic and weather though?

I mount mine to the yoke. Before that I laid it in my lap.

Phew !

EDIT - ya'll are fast this morning... so GLO no traffic/weather GDL 39 get traffic/weather

Correct, and GDL-39-3D gets SVT, but not on Android yet. You might have to make your own kneeboard using a case for the Nexus and attaching it to a simple plate kneeboard with some double sided foam tape. Most all the commercial products are made for iPads.

Mostly used in helicopter so kneeboard style preferred

Haha so I see. maybe a Velcro leg strap of some sort.. I've seen my old cfi stick his ipad under the clipboard spring thingy. It worked though I'm not sure I would like that pressure on the glass.. Yep gdl39 is where it's at for traffic and weather.

Phew !

Don't see why you need the GLO unless I am missing something.
The N7 has its own built-in GPS receiver which works great when mounted on the yoke or strapped on the knee, with no external device or antenna needed, at least in the helis and airplanes I have flown.
You do need GDL-39 if you want in-flight weather and (at least some) traffic, and that does have its own GPS receiver (which it feeds to the N7) and connects to the N7 via BT. The more expensive 3D model gives you a backup attitude indicator (but no SVT on Android).

Last edited:

From my N7:

You will need to remember that GP will download chart data temporarily as needed, when it has a network connection. So, when you are doing flight planning on the ground everything will look good. Then, when you fly, and have no connection, you might see your sectional display disappear. As long as you downloaded a local copy you will be good. You can go to the "download" page to see what charts you have stored locally, or switch to "airplane mode" to do flight planning and anything you do see then you will see while flying.

"Hush up, woman" would have been my response, but also may be why I'm still single.

You would have been better off to get a 4G/LTE Android. I just upgraded my Nexus 7 to an Asus tablet from AT&T just so I could get real time weather updates. You'd be smart to pick up a GPS receiver - like the little XGPS 150. It's less than $100 on Amazon. I used to lose GPS on my N7 every once in a while in the helicopter. I've never had a problem since I bought the little cube. The AT&T table was only $200 and $10/month for connection. Now I can see weather moving around me while I fly without having to pay $40/month for XM or an ADS-B.

You would have been better off to get a 4G/LTE Android. I just upgraded my Nexus 7 to an Asus tablet from AT&T just so I could get real time weather updates. You'd be smart to pick up a GPS receiver - like the little XGPS 150. It's less than $100 on Amazon. I used to lose GPS on my N7 every once in a while in the helicopter. I've never had a problem since I bought the little cube. The AT&T table was only $200 and $10/month for connection. Now I can see weather moving around me while I fly without having to pay $40/month for XM or an ADS-B.

I have never lost good GPS lock while flying N7 (2013) strapped to my knee in helicopters (even mix of R22/R44). In addition to Garmin Pilot Android, I use a free GPS tracking app running in the background to record the flight for later display on Google Earth, and the resulting plots are always flawlessly accurate. I also use the same N7 in airplanes, but normally use GDL-39, although during the few times in the past when I had BT connectivity issues with the GDL there was no problem receiving the GPS satellites. In fact, I can receive the GPS satellites (accurate to 30ft) with the N7 indoors at home with no problems either.

Last edited:
I have never lost good GPS lock while flying N7 (2013) strapped to my knee in helicopters (even mix of R22/R44). In addition to Garmin Pilot Android, I use a free GPS tracking app running in the background to record the flight for later display on Google Earth, and the resulting plots are always flawlessly accurate. I also use the same N7 in airplanes, but normally use GDL-39, although during the few times in the past when I had BT connectivity issues with the GDL there was no problem receiving the GPS satellites. In fact, I can receive the GPS satellites (accurate to 30ft) with the N7 indoors at home with no problems either.

Definitely not my experience.

Yep, it's the latest version. I know there have been several updates since I bought it - perhaps the GPS sensitivity has improved over the past 18 months. I had several instances when flying an R22 that it quit showing my location. I haven't had an issue since I purchased the GPS receiver. With regards to this thread, I think the real issue is having weather map updates via LTE if he's not flying too high to get a connection. It works great for me, though I fly pretty low.

Yep, it's the latest version. I know there have been several updates since I bought it - perhaps the GPS sensitivity has improved over the past 18 months. I had several instances when flying an R22 that it quit showing my location. I haven't had an issue since I purchased the GPS receiver. With regards to this thread, I think the real issue is having weather map updates via LTE if he's not flying too high to get a connection. It works great for me, though I fly pretty low.

Yes, if you fly low enough you might get decent cell coverage, but that would depend on location -- I assume in some parts of the country you'd be out of luck at any practical altitude (although ADSB will have issues down low, when out of reception of ground stations). I haven't used the GDL-39 in helis because my heli cross countries are typically short and I fly good VFR only, so for me in-flight weather is less of an issue in helis compared to airplanes (which I often fly long distance IFR).
Regarding the GPS sensitivity, I don't know if the recent N7 upgrades have improved it, since it was pretty good originally. I do have an external BT GPS device which I used in the past with my Android smartphone (which had lousy built-in GPS reception in the plane), so I tried it with the N7 and didn't see any noticeable improvement.

You should be fine. Don't let the wife scare you. The NEXUS-7 usually has a built-in GPS so you're good, depending on the location of the unit. Garmin Pilot runs well on the Nexus. The only limitation is that the Android version, last I knew, didn't have the Synthetic vision worked out yet. However, I am sure that will come eventually. I do recommend an external GPS, like a DualXGPS150, on the glareshield to avoid losing signal. If you want GPS and subscription-free access to ADS-B in services (weather and limited traffic), then the Garmin GDL-39 is a good option. The +3D model has backup attitude as well, but for wx/traffic the basic model is just fine.

For continuity in training, I eventually switched to IPADs and have a mini in the plane and a full-sized to train pilots on using the app during ground time and for lap use as an EFB in the plane (also having two pads provides chart redundancy). I still keep the Nexus-7 as a backup for GPS and Charts, running the Free Avare App, which can also connect to the GDL 39 (but only for GPS).

Last edited:
Maybe.....but at least I know how to work my 7".....nexus

lol

yes, no excuse for not knowing how to use it except for the fact that I researched this over a year ago while I was overseas. Came home and stayed about 6 days before I was off on a contract. Came home again with the intent to stay at home for a bit(and picked up my new toy :)), got a few phone calls and a couple job offers the day I got home so I've been trying to take a mini-vacation with the wife, visit family and repack for another contract position - so home for 4 days this time. Maybe I'll have time to learn to use this thing on the next contract or LOL plan to do it next time I "stay" at home :goofy: :idea:

I've used both the gen 1 and now gen 2 N7.

I only use the internal GPS (although I'm considering an external receiver - http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/)

I normally keep the N7 either on my lap, or stuck into the side pocket in the Archer and reference it whenever.

I can remember 2 times when it lost signal in flight - both times in the Archer, both times when in the side pocket, and both times when doing maneuvering flight - steep turns I think. It did have some trouble getting a fresh lock, I think I put it on top of the glare shield and flew straight and level for a little bit before it locked back on.

Inside a commercial airliner I can usually get a signal - but only until we take off. My suspicion - the GPS is getting a weak signal inside the aluminum tube, we reach some ground speed (takeoff speed), the signal glitches, the GPS tries to re-establish by getting a certain number of good signals in a row, but can't because it's moving too quickly. Once we land, I can get a signal again, so I think there might be something to that theory. I'm hoping an external receiver will solve that.

Back