Did I just pull a stupid?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I hung our Christmas lights last night. It was the first time I've ever hung lights for Christmas.

Umm....I stapled them to the house. I just realized that's going to be a giant PITA to remove, isn't it?

Well -- provided you didn't pinch the wires in any dangerous sort of way you should be fine.

Staples aren't really that difficult to remove. I usually just use a needle nose pliers.

Now paging a Mr Jeff Foxworthy,, please pick up a customer courtesy phone for a very important message..... :rofl:

Ummmm- you don't have vinyl or aluminum siding...do you?

Its all wood. And I didn't punch through any wires.....but I probably used about 1000 staples so far.

Its all wood. And I didn't punch through any wires.....but I probably used about 1000 staples so far.

The heck with Jeff Foxworthy,,, you need to call Dr Jack Kevorkian. That will save you the hassle of removing 1000 staples ...:D:mad2::mad2:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is a great movie, but not an appropriate instructional video for installing external illumination. :smile:

Uh, Nick........if you have to ask you probably know the answer. :(

In the cold pit of January, take a pair of pliers and literally a staple remover, and a bag around, and remove all 1000 of them.

I just hung the lights on the ~20 nails I put in 18 years ago on occasion of the first xmas here. Takes about 10 minutes to put 'em up and take 'em down.

Can't do that without generating a bazillion little rust streaks! Nick, unless you used bronze staples or something, you will have to remove them all!

-Skip
The streaks just add 'patina' to the look. & You just need to mow often enough that folks can see your plastic pink flamingo's

Can't do that without generating a bazillion little rust streaks! Nick, unless you used bronze staples or something, you will have to remove them all!

-Skip

Acutally Nick would probably get away leaving them without danger of rusting. Remember he lives in ABQ! (At least for a couple of years)

Tie a rope to the lights and the other end to the bumper of your truck and go buy some new lights.

Tie a rope to the lights and the other end to the bumper of your truck and go buy some new lights.

I like that idea, but there has to be some sort of video recording device there to record the carnage.

I'm still trying to envision using a staple gun 1000 times. Multiply the time it took by about ten to remove all of them, too.

You never put up christmas lights before you were engaged did you?

You never put up christmas lights before you were engaged did you?

Nope. Decided it would be family-like.

I looked, and noticed someone had already put nails arund the house, presumably for this purpose.

Doh!

Acutally Nick would probably get away leaving them without danger of rusting. Remember he lives in ABQ! (At least for a couple of years)

I vote with Skip and Tony, with our rainfall and humidity you are free from rust for 2-3 decades. It's just the homeowner's associations and the termites to worry about

I vote with Skip and Tony, with our rainfall and humidity you are free from rust for 2-3 decades. It's just the homeowner's associations and the termites to worry about

Homeowners Association? LOL, since you're in Rio Rancho, you must live up off Unser/Northern. That's the only place in Rio Rancho I've seen HA's.

Of course, I kid! Welcome my fellow New Mexican!

Homeowners Association? LOL, since you're in Rio Rancho, you must live up off Unser/Northern. That's the only place in Rio Rancho I've seen HA's.

One of my requirements while looking for a house was finding one WITHOUT a homeowner's association.

S
One of my requirements while looking for a house was finding one WITHOUT a homeowner's association.

I agree, I'm not a big fan of HOA's either, although I can see why some would like 'em.

For example: we have a lot of people that let their yards go to crap. A good HOA would probably help keep that from happening.

Btw, once I get my luminarias up, I'll take and post a pic. Won't happen until a few days before Christmas tho

Well -- provided you didn't pinch the wires in any dangerous sort of way you should be fine.

Staples aren't really that difficult to remove. I usually just use a needle nose pliers.

I use a stapler made for installing electrical wires and cables (uses U-shaped staples). Works fine. I use a pair of side cutters (dikes) to pull them out. My only concern is that the holes left by the staples will admit rainwater - causing the wood to rot sooner than would otherwise be the case. A quick coat of paint will fix that.

Dave

In neighboring Morton, IL, which is as close to suburbia for Peoria that you can find, the joke is...

"Doctor, the homeowner's association noticed that your yard defrosters have not been working since christmas....."

:)
Close -- about 7 nm North of Rwy 35 between Southern and Northern.
We USED to have an HA, but it dissolved about 20 years ago due to lack of interest. I think the ones in High Resort also went south. The only ones I KNOW of are in North Meadows and Enchanted Hills (aka Bernalillo).
But, thanks

Back