Did I gain too much weight to fly?

A

Anonymous

I’ve gained around 100 pounds since I first started flying 30+ years ago, and now that I got my medical back (history of PMDD), I want to start flying again. Losing weight isn’t easy since I’m now postmenopausal, but obviously I’m working on it. Is this going to be a problem with instructors? I understand w&b, and that's not an issue – more concerned about the reactions of CFI’s.

I guess that all depends on what you weighed 30+ years ago and what the gross weight limits are on the airplane you wish to fly.

Don’t think about flying in a Cessna 15X, but a 172 should be able to handle it unless you’re in the +400lb range or your instructor is extremely overweight.

No shortage of significantly overweight geezers at the typical airport. What is your concern?

One of those significantly overweight geezers was my first flight instructor. I'm not sure I get the concern, either, unless the extra weight is causing serious mobility issues or current debilitating health issues.

The majority of us of "a certain age" have to work at it to keep our weight under control, so you are far from alone. All this social distancing, stay-at-home stuff is making it harder for me. Great to hear you've got it going back in the right direction! My doctor always says "The first 5 pounds of weight loss is the healthiest 5 pounds" (of course he says that no matter what I weigh, LOL).

You have a goal to get flying again. Be persistent in pursuing it. No obstacle, not even this darn virus is insurmountable.

My instructor was overweight not sure 100 over but we fit nicely in a 172. Little closer in the warrior/Archer. I agree mobility would be an issue. Can you climb into the 172 and into an Archer easily?

Weight gain seems to creep up on many people, myself included. It took time to put on, it'll take time to take off.

As others have stated, if you're still within W&B and gross weight of the aircraft, I'm not sure there's a problem. Some aircraft (especially light sport) have a weight limit on the seating positions, but that notwithstanding, you should be "good to go" so long as you and your instructor fit within gross weight and are not out of bounds on the W&B.

Nobody cares, any body who makes fun of a larger person is an a hole and not worth your time. That said, you already understand that weight and balance might be a problem if you get a CFI who is heavy too. I'm 200 pounds, I had an instructor who was 220, he would only instruct in a 172, not a 150 just for that reason.

Good for you working to get the weight off, don't let your insecurities beat you before you attempt to start flying again. I think you might find that nobody really cares, If you run into an a -hole, ignore them, and feel sorry for them, they have bigger problems than weight.

100 over what? (rhetorical I really don't want/need to know..... :)
There are plenty of folks I'd guess in the 250-300 range out there renting and flying.... so
No shortage of significantly overweight geezers at the typical airport. What is your concern?
that said, and for general discussion....
Is there a weight limit on the seats in something like say a 172?
The dog of a rental I went up in back in the summer was so worn out the crank to make the seat higher wouldn't work with my 148# sitting in it. I had to get out of the plane in the run-up area to adjust the stupid thing.

and I'll end with this....wishing you luck in your effort!
I recently lost about 65# but it's bounced back up a bit. I'm battling, so I understand. For me, it's calories in vs calories out. I used an app called "My Fitness Pal" from under armor. Was trying to find a more relaxed "normal state", but I need to get back to it again. Anyway, it was really enlightening learning how few calories I really need in a day.

I too came to the point where I felt my weight was going to present future issues in my flying both in my sheer physical size & my health. I was 5' 11" & 248 pounds. I've been able to get my second class medical without issues but I am on BP meds & my blood sugar level can get a bit high. Not diabetic but border line.

The first of the year I semi-retired from a stressful sales job after 35 years & decided to pursue something enjoyable. I was thinking about a go at aviation again since I did that in my younger years & accumulated most ratings & multiple full logbooks. I made this decision before the present Covid-19 crisis. Now, I'm reevaluating the aviation full time idea. I'll still continue to instruct & fly when I'm needed but not pursue it full time.

Now to get to the point. When I made the decision to retire in January I started a regular exercise routine, mostly long, brisk, walks, & restricted my food intake. In the 3.5 months since, I've lost 39#'s, my blood glucose is normal. I took our 182 out today for a two hour flight & commented to my wife home much easier it was to get in the airplane & buckle up. I also didn't get as winded as I used to when I topped it off with fuel.

It takes a commitment to change. Best wishes to the OP for her future flight training.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back