Did I do something stupid yesterday? Engine start...

Caramon13

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Romeo
I try to get my plane up every couple of days which equates to maybe 2-3 times a week if I'm REALLY lucky. Otherwise it's maybe once or twice.

I took the plane up on 2/20 with some friends for a nice long trip, and then it sat for 2 weeks as I caught a cold and was down for the count.

I took it up on 3/5 after not flying for a couple weeks and like a bonehead cranked the starter without turning the mags on..<facepalm>. Think I ended up overpriming and long story short had a high RPM start, not good.

Well..last night I think I did something even worse. Engine was primed, but I left the throttle out too far, so it was sorta gasping for air. I gave it some throttle and not realizing I still had my hand on the starter button I hit that AFTER the prop had engaged and heard this squealing sound. Immediately I retracted my hand thinking crap..I just either fried the starter or tore a few teeth out of the flywheel.

So in doing what I did, is there any risk of either being an issue? I'm going to head down tonight if I can to check on it and maybe start it up for a bit, or if not tonight on Sunday.

I feel like such a noob...<sigh>

One or two minor mistakes,usually don't cause major harm. Pilot mistakes are factored in by the manufacturer.

Wait, you have a separate button for starting and separate mag switches? Wow, old school airplane, cool.
It is hard to tell across the Internet without seeing the engine or starter bendix but it is likely that the bendix just touched the flywheel and did not get a chance to engage so it only ground on the flywheel shortly. Should have left no big damage but definitely open up the cowl to look.

Glad you have nice weather to fly. We are still waiting on the rain to leave. And after the POTUS TFR on Friday, I bet the skies will be full of weekend warriors on Saturday. It is supposed to be gorgeous. I'm gonna go fly. :)

I once let mine mine idle a couple minutes before I noticed there was no oil pressure! First thing I check now after starting.

You will probably do more harm by starting it up tonight "for a bit." When you do start then engine it is best to run it until the oil is warm enough to boil off the condensate-30-40 minutes.

I once let mine mine idle a couple minutes before I noticed there was no oil pressure! First thing I check now after starting.
No sweat. Do you have an oil filter? The filter inlet check valve can inhibit priming if the pump is worn. DAMHIK.....

@BigBadLou yeah, it was a surprise to me too actually when I first bought the plane. I thought, weird, the starter isn't on the same switch?!?! All the planes I'd flown up until that point were right turn to start, etc. It's a 1965 C model Cherokee. Also doesn't have an alternate static port (like some of the newer models), also didn't come with toe brakes, those were added. Flying a stock 1960 model plane makes you really appreciate the stuff they added on 10-15 years later heh..

@nrpetersen I do have an oil filter, it's a spin on. I don't think it's a problem with priming as it's been pretty good about starting up "ususally". I think I'd attribute the last two starts to user error. It does take about 3-5 primes to get going. The POH says to use the throttle to prime it above 50 degrees and the primer if it's colder. I tried that, but found the throttle actually overprimes and I have less success with that. I'll prime 3-4 times with the primer, then if it's struggling a bit, I'll slightly pump the throttle to give it a boost and she starts right up.

@cgrab Yeah, I didn't actually make it down there last night. I too am a fan of running the engine for at least 30 minutes. If I have no intention of going anywhere I'll at least do a few patterns. I know it's not as good as 30 minutes of engine power at cruise, but it's better than sitting on the ground at 1000 RPM doing nothing for 30 minutes.

@N659HB Ouch...yeah the the POH does mention that. No oil pressure within first 30 seconds, shut'er down. I check it right after start along with fuel pressure and vacuum.

No sweat. Do you have an oil filter? The filter inlet check valve can inhibit priming if the pump is worn. DAMHIK.....
I do have an oil filter, it's a spin on. I don't think it's a problem with priming as it's been pretty good about starting up "ususally". I think I'd attribute the last two starts to user error. It does take about 3-5 primes to get going. The POH says to use the throttle to prime it above 50 degrees and the primer if it's colder. I tried that, but found the throttle actually overprimes and I have less success with that. I'll prime 3-4 times with the primer, then if it's struggling a bit, I'll slightly pump the throttle to give it a boost and she starts right up.
I don't think you two are on the same page.

dtuuri

Aircraft oil filters don't have check valves.

Some old Continentals have leaky oil pumps. Once the oil has all drained out, they won't suck the oil up from the tank. The pump leaks enough that it won't move air.

(for a Lube system prime) - The one I cut open sure did (Tempest full-flo on a C-85). It is a neoprene flap/diaphragm thing about 2 inches in diameter that prevents drain back thru the oil pump.

Last edited:
I flew a Piper Colt, I forget the year of manufacture, key mag switch on the panel, but the starter button was under the seat. No toe brakes, just one standard "Piper brake bar" hanging below the panel. Three handed start, left for the button, right for the throttle, and a quick grab to the brake if it rev' to high and started you rolling.

Our '65 Piper Pawnee has two flip switches, left side of panel, one for each mag, and a starter button on the right side near the flip switch master. No key anywhere. Does have tow brakes, so that is easier.

I flew a Piper Colt, I forget the year of manufacture, key mag switch on the panel, but the starter button was under the seat.
I have a lot of time in Colts, including giving flight instruction. It's funny that I don't remember the starter button below the seat. For sure,the master switch was there, but I recall a shiny starter button on the panel. I still have a Colt Owners Manual someplace--I'll have to check it out. Been a long long time..

dtuuri

We had a 125 hp TriPacer PA-22 S/N 13 (!) that had the starter button under the left side of the front seat. I think the master switch (a toggle switch) was in the same box too. We modified the charging system with a Rambler alternator & got it approved w a 337. That made that airplane. It had buddy seat belts too.

Back