Did I bust Class C @ Burbank?

The CC letter makes it clear that being in communication with the TRACON meets the communication requirement for class C airspace.

The part about ARTCC contact not meeting the requirement goes beyond the OP's question, but is useful information.

The communication requirement was clarified already. It was met by contacting SOCAL. The only thing the OP needed to worry about is complying with an ATC instruction (91.123). Just because the OP was in contact with the facility providing the service for the C, doesn't mean he can't be shiped over to a GCA or in this case, the primary tower of that C. Based on the OPs story, it appears that complying with that instruction was not possible.

The ARTCC thing is a given. You're not in communication with the facility providing service to that airport. Unless the TRACON is closed, no way you should be in contact with ARTCC if you're about to penetrate the C.

The communication requirement was clarified already.

True, but it's always nice to know that the Chief Counsel agrees with us.

It was met by contacting SOCAL. The only thing the OP needed to worry about is complying with an ATC instruction (91.123). Just because the OP was in contact with the facility providing the service for the C, doesn't mean he can't be shiped over to a GCA or in this case, the primary tower of that C.

I agree.

Based on the OPs story, it appears that complying with that instruction was not possible.

He complied as soon as it was possible to do so. I certainly don't think he can be faulted for circumstances that are not within his control.

The ARTCC thing is a given. You're not in communication with the facility providing service to that airport. Unless the TRACON is closed, no way you should be in contact with ARTCC if you're about to penetrate the C.

Sounds like we're all singing from the same hymnal.

Back