Did his Garmin 530 quit?

Looking at the plane,you might think the pilot holds a sport pilot cert. Better an emergency landing ,than a crash.

It will be interesting to find out the whole story. Are there any possible disciplinary actions for landing where he did if the owners are okay with it?

A fellow Ercoupe owner that flies with him just told me he isn't current :(

That would be unfortunate,don't need older pilots putting the light sport rating in jeopardy. Looks like it was a good landing though.

Nice landing, hope all is legit and the plane is OK

Irwin was able to set the plane down on a grass field adjacent to Highway 20 just west of Cattle Drive

Not sure why the FAA would get involved

Anyone else see the comment?
"All his certificates were revoked by the FAA two months ago."

He is still in the database, but if this is true, it would take some time for it to be updated anyway.

90 years old flying around. Good for him.

I can only imagine what a 90yr old would say when questioned by authority.

I can only hope I am able to sit one down, when needed, at 90.

Hope it works out for him.

Last edited:
His pilot buddy told me he recently landed on the taxiway at KAUN .. In front of the CHP chopper hangar

His pilot buddy told me he recently landed on the taxiway at KAUN .. In front of the CHP chopper hangar

Sounds like he needs a new "buddy". Dude needs to shut his trap.

Sounds like he needs a new "buddy". Dude needs to shut his trap.
His buddy shutting up is the last thing to worry about.. When landing at KAUN you are in full view of the patrons of Wings Café... The thing to do there is eat breakfast and watch the planes land.. And sometimes you get the added bonus of a taxi way landing by a fella who sadly just might need to consider it's time to hang it up.. In the age of smart phones you are all over social media before you tie it down and pull up a chair.. :mad2:

His buddy shutting up is the last thing to worry about.. When landing at KAUN you are in full view of the patrons of Wings Café... The thing to do there is eat breakfast and watch the planes land.. And sometimes you get the added bonus of a taxi way landing by a fella who sadly just might need to consider it's time to hang it up.. In the age of smart phones you are all over social media before you tie it down and pull up a chair.. :mad2:

True

But that has nothing to do with calling yourself someone's friend and putting their butt on blast to anyone who will listen.

It didn't go down like that.. I sent a friend of mine who is also an Ercoupe owner a screen shot of the article. He told me "oops! He doesn't even have a license"... A few texts later after I mentioned maybe the old dude should hang it up he told me about the taxi way landing. I think it's safe to say at 90 yrs old he's had a good run., maybe this time he might call it quits before someone besides him gets hurt.. Willows to Cameron park is a straight shot.. How he ended up lost in Penn Valley is anyone's guess.. Unless he was skirting the Beale AFB trf..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 6
It didn't go down like that.. I sent a friend of mine who is also an Ercoupe owner a screen shot of the article. He told me "oops! He doesn't even have a license"... A few texts later after I mentioned maybe the old dude should hang it up he told me about the taxi way landing. I think it's safe to say at 90 yrs old he's had a good run., maybe this time he might call it quits before someone besides him gets hurt.. Willows to Cameron park is a straight shot.. How he ended up lost in Penn Valley is anyone's guess.. Unless he was skirting the Beale AFB trf..

I hope fifty years from now when I'm 90, I'm not friends with some dude who texts the details of my aeronautical brain farts to some other dude who posts it on a public forum on the Internet.

But yeah, it sounds like it's time to hang up the saddle.

True

But that has nothing to do with calling yourself someone's friend and putting their butt on blast to anyone who will listen.

Two sides to that if you're talking to someone else that may fly with them. Sometimes it's good to have a heads up, makes it easier to watch out for someone when you know they need watching out for.

Two sides to that if you're talking to someone else that may fly with them. Sometimes it's good to have a heads up, makes it easier to watch out for someone when you know they need watching out for.

Yeah, however

I hope fifty years from now when I'm 90, I'm not friends with some dude who texts the details of my aeronautical brain farts to some other dude who posts it on a public forum on the Internet.

But yeah, it sounds like it's time to hang up the saddle.

Exactly.

So if they yanked his tickets two months ago and he's had two .. How should I say.. Weird landing places who's the azzhole here? His buddy that gives a heads up or the old fart that defies authority and might endanger me or other innocent lives with his lack of respect for the laws of the skies? It scares me driving with old phucs on the highways the last thing I want to do is deal with them when I'm on the taxi ways.. Good gravy man use your pea brain a little here..

Last edited:
Back