Did Hilton ever get WingX working on Fire tablets?

The app is in the Amazon store, but the reviews indicate it's crippled compared to the iOS version.

What's a fire tablet ? Was that standard equipment on an Edsel ? Or maybe a Rockwell Lark ?

The app is in the Amazon store, but the reviews indicate it's crippled compared to the iOS version.

That's too bad. Can't find any info on it (or how it's crippled) anywhere on their website really but there's no point in digging more through that horrible design "buttons across the top" menu system.

That's too bad. Can't find any info on it (or how it's crippled) anywhere on their website really but there's no point in digging more through that horrible design "buttons across the top" menu system.
Well, given Fire is a subset of Android, so it's either like the Android or less functional.
The "regular" Android version is also, I guess "crippled." The look and feel of the iOS version is there but there is currently little more than half the functionality. Good moving map, airport data and flight planning capability. While the platform there, and Android user will do much better with AvNav EFB, iFly GPS. DroidEFB or, really, even one of the free apps. For IFR, I won't even use it as a backup (and it's free to CFIs).

It's really a shame. Hilton does really good stuff.

Besides, aren't the low-end Fires sans GPS?

Android/Fire versions currently don't have ADS-B hardware compatibility like the iOS version, have not played with it yet but was also looking at a cheap android tablet as a backup to the iPad, I suppose as long as the android version has a working moving map etc, that might be enough as a backup, all the other nice iOS features are just nice to haves I suppose

Why not drop Hilton an email and ask, hilton@hiltonsoftware.com rather than speculate

Does the fire have a built in GPS?

Ether way, as a CFI I had the free wingx, deleted it, just wasn't usable for what I require, and really too stripped down compared to FF.

Why not drop Hilton an email and ask, hilton@hiltonsoftware.com rather than speculate

Because if someone claims to be in the software business and they can't build a website that has the details about their product, it says so much about the product's likely quality level, that there's no point in going into it much further.

And when you put out press releases and haven't delivered a year later without explanation... that's not a good sign either.

Can't find any info on it (or how it's crippled) anywhere on their website really but there's no point in digging more through that horrible design "buttons across the top" menu system.

I can't imagine why the ios "fanboys" could possibly make the decisions they do...

Because if someone claims to be in the software business and they can't build a website that has the details about their product, it says so much about the product's likely quality level, that there's no point in going into it much further.

And when you put out press releases and haven't delivered a year later without explanation... that's not a good sign either.

Agree, the website sucks, as does the dated videos which is why Tony did an manual for iOS version. A good customer facing website is what attracts people back over and over again.

It also references products no less longer offered.

I can't imagine why the ios "fanboys" could possibly make the decisions they do...

Not sure who you're referring to, but Hilton's website looks like it belongs back in the late 90s. Button menus like those were popular clear back to when Netscape was still in common use.

Don't mistake the 90's website with the quality Hilton produces. People say the same about the FltPlan website also but it's still the go-to for corporate and small 135, and for good reason.

It's definitely a marketing problem, though, and I suspect development in the Android arena is more about economic issues than anything else.

BTW, Hilton just announced a CyberMonday deal. Apparently the purchase is through the Apple App Store but the subscription applies to the Android and Fire versions as well.

WingX Pro7 for just $19.99!

This isn't something we usually do, and something we might not do again, but we're doing it now - WingX Pro7 for just $19.99 - that's about a 75% discount! Whether you are new to WingX Pro7 or a current user, you can buy a one year subscription for just $19.99 on the Apple App Store. If you have a current subscription, your new subscription will extend your current subscription; i.e. you won't lose time because you renewed early.

This crazy offer is not limited to student pilots or pilots who use other EFBs - everyone can take advantage of this offer - feel free to forward this email to friends and fellow pilots. CFIs and Military pilots get WingX Pro7 for free (see below).

WingX Pro7 subscriptions apply to WingX Pro7 for iOS, WingX Pro7 for Android, and WingX Pro7 for Fire.

* Take advantage of this offer ASAP - it could end at any time...
* This offer is not available via our phone Support line.

Smoking deal, i always sign up for his 3 year deal at $199, worth every penny

Don't mistake the 90's website with the quality Hilton produces. People say the same about the FltPlan website also but it's still the go-to for corporate and small 135, and for good reason.

It's definitely a marketing problem, though, and I suspect development in the Android arena is more about economic issues than anything else.

I just have a hard time thinking they can't fix the website problems for well less than $1000 with a sub-contractor. Oh well..

Nice deal today.

I just have a hard time thinking they can't fix the website problems for well less than $1000 with a sub-contractor. Oh well..

Nice deal today.

My cousin would do it free of charge for them, I think we even reached out to them in July but no reply.

Not sure who you're referring to

I was laughing at the fact that you regularly mock ios users, and then complained about the lack of useable software on android. There is a reason people make rational decisions to use ios. You may criticize the algorithm it uses to switch between LTE and 3G, but the reality is - even if we accept your criticism as being true - most people don't notice such things. What they do notice is that ios is, by far, the best ecosystem for high quality apps.

I was laughing at the fact that you regularly mock ios users, and then complained about the lack of useable software on android. There is a reason people make rational decisions to use ios. You may criticize the algorithm it uses to switch between LTE and 3G, but the reality is - even if we accept your criticism as being true - most people don't notice such things. What they do notice is that ios is, by far, the best ecosystem for high quality apps.

ROFL. You don't know me very well. I don't mock iOS users, I've been on the Apple bandwagon since you had to PAY to run OSX Beta, because at that time a real Unix on the desktop with a UI that actually worked was unheard of. I own three Macs and who knows how many iOS devices over the years.

Been doing computing stuff since the mid 80s and the reality is, developers ALWAYS screw up handling network outages, the assumption is that the OS will do it for them. It usually won't to the level they need for a good user experience.

The reality is, Apple lost their edge when Jobs left the reigns to Cook. He's clueless. And we've seen this before under Scully. And so did MSFT under Ballmer. And Linux desktops -- total disaster screw-up-fest at all times... good ones come and go.

I'm very pragmatic about software. If it doesn't make me money or save me real time, it's a distraction from getting the job done. But I do love the money and career it's offered me catching and fixing the same developer mistakes over and over and over and over again. If they ever get organized, I'll be out of a job. Well at least I'll have more time to make the systems do more interesting things rather than explain to the noobs that they fell into the same traps the devs before them did -- the last time I fixed it. :)

Back