Did FLYING Magazine give away the airplanes or what?

John Spartan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Spartan
I believe this was supposed to have been announced at Sun and fun, but I haven’t seen anything that shows if they gave away the A5 or the Astore. Did it happen?

If I recall, it was a choice between the two types, correct?
so
which would you choose and why?

edit: maybe assume ICON hadn't gone belly up, because that probably sways the choice for most folks.....

I would choose the Astore all day long. It can do 140 knots up high easily and true MTOW is high enough to fly my mission for XC. I expect they will list 1600 when Mosaic goes.

A5 is a glorified Waverunner for the skies. Looks like fun messing around but no real use for travel.

Something is really odd. They aren’t responding to any questions of “who won” on their Facebook page promoting the raffle and the original website was taken down. Anyone at Sun N Fun witness the giveaway?

Something is really odd. They aren’t responding to any questions of “who won” on their Facebook page promoting the raffle and the original website was taken down. Anyone at Sun N Fun witness the giveaway?

Hmmmmm........ Any bets that Icon weasled out of the deal as part of the bankruptcy?

OTOH, as I said above, they can't even seem to deliver their magazines, so a whole airplane is probably a real stretch.

Hmmmmm........ Any bets that Icon weasled out of the deal as part of the bankruptcy?

OTOH, as I said above, they can't even seem to deliver their magazines, so a whole airplane is probably a real stretch.
That seems logical. Even if that happened I’m sure they could just tell everyone they can “choose” the Astore. Maybe they notified the winner and they’re demanding the A5? That seems like a more likely scenario. The magazine would be pretty dumb to just memory hole the giveaway.

That seems logical. Even if that happened I’m sure they could just tell everyone they can “choose” the Astore. Maybe they notified the winner and they’re demanding the A5? That seems like a more likely scenario. The magazine would be pretty dumb to just memory hole the giveaway.
They'd also be pretty dumb to not have a clause in the T's and C's to handle one or both airplanes becoming unavailable. I'll hold my tongue on whether or not I think they might be but it's not assured.

Nauga,
and stealth prizes

They'd also be pretty dumb to not have a clause in the T's and C's to handle one or both airplanes becoming unavailable.

I agree, but it seems likely such a clause would include some sort of phrase like "or equivalent alternative" or maybe "or cash equivalent." Either of those might be challenging on short notice.

They'd also be pretty dumb to not have a clause in the T's and C's to handle one or both airplanes becoming unavailable. I'll hold my tongue on whether or not I think they might be but it's not assured.

Nauga,
and stealth prizes
Very true.

I agree, but it seems likely such a clause would include some sort of phrase like "or equivalent alternative" or maybe "or cash equivalent." Either of those might be challenging on short notice.
Should be easy enough to find for someone who cares to look.

Nauga,
who does not.

They owe a photographer we all know quite a bit of money.

They owe me three missing issues (so far) despite several phone calls and an in-person conversation at SnF. They’re too busy buying things to be bothered with customers and actually delivering products. No surprise at all that they would stiff a contributor.

I assume this is due to the Icon Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and I can't imagine anyone managing the bankruptcy process is going to authorize giving away a plane until they sort out which creditors get paid first. This is likely also why FLYING has gone radio silent, they don't want to issue any public statements while there's a flock of lawyers circling overhead.

I assume this is due to the Icon Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and I can't imagine anyone managing the bankruptcy process is going to authorize giving away a plane until they sort out which creditors get paid first. This is likely also why FLYING has gone radio silent, they don't want to issue any public statements while there's a flock of lawyers circling overhead.

Flying could still announce who won. And there was also an option to take the Astore instead of the Icon. Personally I’d much prefer the Astore.

I am guessing they don't want to announce a winner until they've resolved all the thorny legal issues around changing the terms of the contest. Usually, they won't announce the winner in any kind of lottery or marketing contest until after the winner has received their prize since there are lots of logistics with taxes, registration, etc.

Personally, I would also prefer the Astore simply bc most of the bodies of water near me are not suitable/allowable for amphib operations. But if I lived in South Florida or already had a personal trainer/traveller, then I could see the appeal of the A5.

Wow, the Astore sounds like a really nice aircraft

Wow, the Astore sounds like a really nice aircraft
I followed one for a little while on flight radar or something like that just to see what real worlds were and it was getting up and moving at 9000 feet and above. So nice inside too

Nothing is to be found directly on the website though. That is Google having archived the link.

Go to the bottom of the webpage below and click on official rules.

Cool. It was missing for a bit. They must have put it back up.
They were there all the time, there's just (still) a broken link to them using what I thought was the most obvious route on Flying's website so you have to go in another way.
Now...what do they say about timing and prize substitution and who can do the substituting, and when?

Nauga,
and his anti-sinister sunglasses

They were there all the time, there's just (still) a broken link to them using what I thought was the most obvious route on Flying's website so you have to go in another way.
Now...what do they say about timing and prize substitution and who can do the substituting, and when?

Nauga,
and his anti-sinister sunglasses

They don’t get to choose a substitute. The winner may select either plane if he’s a qualified pilot, or he may choose $100k cash. Either plane will be a used aircraft valued at $250k. The drawing was to be on or about April 9 and the winner notified within 3 days.

They don’t get to choose a substitute. The winner may select either plane if he’s a qualified pilot, or he may choose $100k cash. Either plane will be a used aircraft valued at $250k. The drawing was to be on or about April 9 and the winner notified within 3 days.
"No substitution of Prizes is permitted except at Sponsor's discretion. Prizes are not transferable and may not be resold. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value"

So yes, they do have words in the terms and conditions to handle one or both airplanes becoming unavailable.

Nauga,
MOTO

Back