dictating to the computer

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
I have just received and installed the latest iteration of Dragon's Naturally Speaking software, version 10.

For the first time, after having tried several prior versions of the NaturallySpeaking software, and having been frustratingly close to success in voice to text conversion, it appears they have finally gotten it right.

The training process for this version took about 10 minutes, reading to the computer (I chose Pres. Kennedy's inaugural address). After that training process, I started dictating to the computer, and it appears that it is extremely accurate. Prior versions were frustrating because they would seem like they were getting it, and would in fact get very close, but always introduced errors which were insidious to track down, because they were not misspellings, but rather, are misinterpretations of what I had said. This version seems to have that all sorted out, and I suspect that the substantial increase in computing power is as much responsible for the increased accuracy, as is the software design.

In any event, I am very pleased by what I see, and hopeful that it will be a valuable tool for all of us to use in our daily work.

the only words I ever speak to computers would be filtered out by the bad language filter :)

I am going to fwd your comments to my f.i.l. who uses voice recognition/reading programs (due to his visual impairment) - he will be very interested, as I know he had complaints about Dragon in the past and is always looking for quantum improvements.

Deer Spick,

Glad to no that the now softwhere works butter than the Pryor versions. Hoot do I cell to get a dumpload to testify on my commuter?

Your fiend,

Wain

I have just received and installed the latest iteration of Dragon's Naturally Speaking software, version 10.

For the first time, after having tried several prior versions of the NaturallySpeaking software, and having been frustratingly close to success in voice to text conversion, it appears they have finally gotten it right.

The training process for this version took about 10 minutes, reading to the computer (I chose Pres. Kennedy's inaugural address). After that training process, I started dictating to the computer, and it appears that it is extremely accurate. Prior versions were frustrating because they would seem like they were getting it, and would in fact get very close, but always introduced errors which were insidious to track down, because they were not misspellings, but rather, are misinterpretations of what I had said. This version seems to have that all sorted out, and I suspect that the substantial increase in computing power is as much responsible for the increased accuracy, as is the software design.

In any event, I am very pleased by what I see, and hopeful that it will be a valuable tool for all of us to use in our daily work.

gotta be better than this:

11 minutes to type 5 short lines of text.
Makes you want run right out and wire that into your vehicle control system doesn't it?

It's good to hear dragon speak works good. A friend needs it to help with typing. I'll pass on the pirep. Thanks.

Nick, that video is so funny, I almost snorted.

The problems is that guy is having reminds me of the way Dragon software worked, about 10 years ago. As I mentioned above, this new version is substantially better, and required much less training than prior versions did. By way of illustration, I am dictating this post and (at least at this point) I have had to only make one correction.

The tougher part, much more difficult than dictating the words into the system, is learning the syntax for commands and the like. It is very powerful, and includes some magic language which will do things like open an e-mail program and navigate through it, invoke a printer, and other routine tasks.

Where I find most useful, however, is not in the preparation of everyday communications and correspondence; for these things, I still dictated to a tape recorder, and allow my secretaries transcribed. When I am writing an article or a brief, however, something which I can work on in a relatively uninterrupted way, sometimes after hours, it can be very useful. I kick back, put my feet on the desk, but on the headset and start talking.

Technology can be a pain, but occasionally, it actually surprises you in a good way.

Oh by the way: Celia got an iPhone today, and she e-mailed me: " What do I do now?" I imagine she'll figure something out, but just in case, I e-mailed Kent to ask him for suggestions- He ought to know what to do with it!

Oh by the way: Celia got an iPhone today, and she e-mailed me: " What do I do now?" I imagine she'll figure something out, but just in case, I e-mailed Kent to ask him for suggestions- He ought to know what to do with it!

Ummmm....make a phone call? :D

Interesting. I'm not sure why--but for me it is a lot easier to put my thoughts together with a keyboard. I can type faster than I can think and I find written words more elegant.

I can't imagine trying to create written word verbally--by tape recorder--or by software. Almost all the communication in my life has taken place via keyboard. Kind of a scary thought really.

Where I find most useful, however, is not in the preparation of everyday communications and correspondence; for these things, I still dictated to a tape recorder, and allow my secretaries transcribed.

:rofl: That movie was funny, and that sentence was the perfect continuation of it :D

Now what would be funny is after Spike trained the program to understand his Texas Drawl If I dictated on it in my Philly accent. Oh boy.

Interesting. I'm not sure why--but for me it is a lot easier to put my thoughts together with a keyboard. I can type faster than I can think and I find written words more elegant.

I can't imagine trying to create written word verbally--by tape recorder--or by software. Almost all the communication in my life has taken place via keyboard. Kind of a scary thought really.

Years ago, when executives had secretaries, many executives became quite skilled at dictating logical, complete sentences, including punctuation. As a young man, I used to watch this sometimes and I was amazed at how someone could dictate a complete business letter and get it right on the very first attempt.

The secretary would type it, bring in, the exec would scan it and sign it. Very, very efficient and fast. It's almost a lost skill now.

:rofl: That movie was funny, and that sentence was the perfect continuation of it :D

Felix - in your observation, you have captured the essence of the problem. The main thing is, you cannot use any computer dictation program or software, and expect it to substitute for good practices. For me, its utility will continue to be the ability to get large volumes of text on the page, but you MUST have (1) a second set of eyes, or (2) a very thorough review after "aging" the content.

Still a useful tool, though.

Felix - in your observation, you have captured the essence of the problem. The main thing is, you cannot use any computer dictation program or software, and expect it to substitute for good practices. For me, its utility will continue to be the ability to get large volumes of text on the page, but you MUST have (1) a second set of eyes, or (2) a very thorough review after "aging" the content.

Still a useful tool, though.
Makes sense, especially the 'aging' the content part. Good to see that they're making some progress with this.

Back