Dick Clark Died Today

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
How many of you POAers grew up with American Bandstand? I aways wanted to go on his show. :redface: There were hot chicks everywhere! :D

That guy never seemed to age."The world's oldest teenager" has joined the Rock n Roll Heaven.

Last edited:
Geez.... all the people of 'our' generation are dropping like flies..:hairraise::sad:

Do what I do and just shift generations. Go Justin Bieber!

American Bandstand was a staple on TV growing up along with The Tonight Show. New Year's Eve will not be the same without him. RIP Dick Clark.

Dick Clark had virtually every great band on his show. But he also gave new bands a shot. Here is a one hit wonder band that attributes their success to their appearance on American Bandstand - and this is an awesome song:

http://thekingsarehere.com

Watch the 2nd YouTube video which starts out on American Bandstand.

RIP.

How could he have died so young? He was only, what, 29?

RIP, Dick... we'll miss you.

It's probably too soon, but I found Dick to be a little odd after the stroke in '04.

Kinda like Disney Animatronics had done their magic and were just controlling him from backstage at New Year's.

No offense meant. He did dang well for a stroke victim sitting in front of a TV camera.

I know that he must have had long difficult hours in speech therapy and rehab. Busted his butt to get back on camera.

It was always just kinda eerie. Like, "Hey Dick... Take a break Man. We got this!"

New Year's Eve definitely will never be the same.

It's probably too soon, but I found Dick to be a little odd after the stroke in '04.

Kinda like Disney Animatronics had done their magic and were just controlling him from backstage at New Year's.

No offense meant. He did dang well for a stroke victim sitting in front of a TV camera.

I know that he must have had long difficult hours in speech therapy and rehab. Busted his butt to get back on camera.

It was always just kinda eerie. Like, "Hey Dick... Take a break Man. We got this!"

I know exactly what you mean. I felt very uncomfortable watching him try and talk after the stroke. I admire him for "the show must go on" attitude and I am embarrassed to even mention my uncomfortableness, but it is what it is, a great guy / TV celeb trying to hang onto his youth a little too long. :nono:

I admire Dick Clark and his zest for life. That is what I choose to remember.

I know exactly what you mean. I felt very uncomfortable watching him try and talk after the stroke. I admire him for "the show must go on" attitude and I am embarrassed to even mention my uncomfortableness, but it is what it is, a great guy / TV celeb trying to hang onto his youth a little too long. :nono:

:yeahthat:

You wouldn't have that issue if every third person you ever met was like that. The problem is we really don't know how to act around people that are different. More power to them for getting out in the world, facing the people like me and you, and carrying on.
I'm not sure I would have the courage to do so. Actually, I would not have the courage to do so. It is to be admired.

You wouldn't have that issue if every third person you ever met was like that. The problem is we really don't know how to act around people that are different. More power to them for getting out in the world, facing the people like me and you, and carrying on.
I'm not sure I would have the courage to do so. Actually, I would not have the courage to do so. It is to be admired.

I agree, it is me. I admit it. I am just not comfortable around people recovering from stroke, and suffering from Alzheimer's, dementia, ect. More power to people fighting those maladies, and they hhave every right to do what they want.

It would seem to me that at YOUR age the king of the Countdown shows would have been Casey Kasem("American Top 40.")

HR

Oh crap, you're right, I think I got them mixed up. Or did Dick Clark do the oldies count downs? I'm talking about 50's and 60's music / count downs.

Oh crap, you're right, I think I got them mixed up. Or did Dick Clark do the oldies count downs? I'm talking about 50's and 60's music / count downs.

I'm uncertain about other than Casey Kasem, who was also a voice-over for hundreds of advertisers. One of the best-in-the-business "Golden Oldies" radio hosts was a Maine guy named Jim Sands. Though his earlier broadcasting days were in Maine he migrated to Boston and did, for years, a Saturday night "Golden Oldies" several hours on WHDH-AM 850 Radio. When I was working in broadcasting, "Sands" was the idol of most of us younger guys. Many of you in California(and Chicago) will remember JJ Jeffrey(WLS in Chicago; bunch of stations he owned in California). JJ lives not far from me. He was one of the early Top 40 deejays(Boston WMEX).

HR

Back