Diamond Star DA40

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I was about to post a message on the relative merits of the DA40 in another thread, but I figured I'd just start a new one here.

Some general descriptive stuff: The DA40-180 (I'm not gonna talk about the DA40-TDI as it's not certified in the US) is an all-composite, all-electric, low-wing, T-tail, 4-place, center-stick control, 180hp fuel-injected airplane.

It was certified in 2001, and either Garmin or King avionics were available. In 2004, they added glass panels as well and had the somewhat-unique distinction of having four different avionics packages: King steam, Garmin steam, Avidyne glass, or Garmin glass. That said, the vast majority of the 2001-3 planes were Garmin with steam gauges, and the vast majority of 2004 and later planes are G1000 - I've only ever seen one King steam plane and one Avidyne glass plane in all of my looking at ads and such. Also, in 2003 the panel was re-done to allow for more legroom for us tall folks.

In 2007, the DA40XL was introduced, with some mods to the landing gear, PowerFlow exhaust, and the GFC 700 autopilot added. In 2008, the XLS was introduced, which added a new canopy that increased headroom. These models both fly about 5 knots faster than the earlier ones.

Also, in 2005 a DA40-FP was added to the line with a fixed-pitch prop and carbureted engine, aimed at flight schools. In 2007, the DA40-CS, a "budget" version of the plane without the XL mods was introduced for those who didn't want to pay the extra dough for a new plane with all the bells and whistles.

Popular options include:

* Extended baggage. On early planes, this consisted of a "ski tube" to allow for carrying long objects. On later planes, this is the "four-way baggage compartment" which has an under-the-floor type section for carrying oil, tow bar, etc. as well as the main baggage compartment and another compartment that extends further into the tail. The back seats also fold flat in seconds, allowing for a very large cargo compartment with two seats up front.

* Autopilot. This is the KAP 140 on the earlier planes, and the GFC700 from 2007 onwards.

* Avionics: Most of the early buyers opted for a 530/430 setup instead of the standard 430/430. Many planes, especially the G1000 ones, have the Garmin GDL69A weather datalink.

* Interior: Cloth is standard, but most planes have the premium interior which includes leather and a few other things (such as electrically-adjusted rudder pedals in the XL/XLS models, cupholders, etc)

Okay... Now onto the pros and cons:

Pros:
* Safety & Strength. The DA40 has two main wing spars, but structural testing was done with one of them missing. Also, the fuel tanks are located between the spars. There has never been a post-crash fire in a DA40, which is a huge survivability factor. There have also only been two fatal crashes (One flew into power lines on a botched instrument approach, the other was a highly-fatigued black-hole approach into the ocean). The DA40 is one of the few (only?) composite aircraft certified without an airframe or wing life limit.

* Visibility. With the bubble canopy, high aspect ratio wing, and sloping cowl the view is incredible. You can look straight down from the front seats despite the low wing because the leading edge is near the front seat backs. I can see about 30º down from level out the front, and the left to right view is about 210º of unobstructed glass. Beautiful - And it gives you more of a sense that you're flying rather than just riding in a little tin can in the sky.

* Efficiency. Depending on power setting, weight, and altitude, I've seen 135KTAS on 7.5gph, 140KTAS on 9gph, and 145+ KTAS on 10gph when lighter, and ~135KTAS on 8.5gph when we were loaded up heavy last week. Probably the best efficiency of any certified, 4-seat fixed-gear aircraft.

* Entry & Exit. With the canopy and the rear door on the left, three of the four seats can be directly entered from outside. Also unique among 4-seat airplanes.

* Glide performance. With the long glider-like wing (Diamond built gliders before they started building airplanes) the glide performance is excellent - The glide ratio on ours is 13:1! That allows for better choices in an engine-out situation. The nice thing is that it doesn't float much either, as the flaps have a section about 2 feet long on the inboard site of each that acts as a split flap (the rest of the flap span is normal), the flap span is quite long, and the flaps extend to 42º so with full flaps the plane also slows down nicely.

* Climb performance. It's no 182, but it climbs at 1000 fpm down low with only 180hp. The high cruise speeds for a 180hp fixed-gear bird indicate that drag is very low, and that lack of drag also allows for more excess horsepower in the climb.

* Flight characteristics. Hard to describe - It's light on the controls, but not twitchy. It's also very well-harmonized. Despite the lightness of the control forces, it's very stable, especially in pitch. Steep turns are really fun - They're almost effortless without even re-trimming. Diamond did a really good job of making this plane easy to fly, but also fun to fly. :yes:

Cons:
* Weird fuel measuring system(s). With the long, skinny wing and the tanks between the two main spars (see safety above), the tanks are long and skinny. With the dihedral of the wing, by the time you burn ~5 gallons from a tank, you can no longer see the fuel in the tanks by looking into them. So, on preflight, there's a contraption you use to measure the fuel level that works by putting it in a certain spot on the leading edge of the wing, connecting a hose to the sump drain, and waiting for the fuel to flow into a vertical glass tube so you can read the level. Kludgy, although I think it's worth it for the safety that the tank design provides. Also, there are 2 (regular) or 3 (long range) tanks per wing, and the 2nd tank does not have a fuel sender. So, there is a portion of the fuel that's un-gauged - On the standard tanks (40 gal) the portion from 20/side (full fuel) down to 17/side is un-gauged. On the long range tanks (50 gal) the portion from 19/side down to 16/side is un-gauged. Kind of weird.

* Rudder pedal adjustment. The seats in the Diamond incorporate the sticks and are not adjustable. To accommodate pilots of differing heights, the rudder pedals move fore and aft. Earlier models do this by pulling a cord between the pedals, which can be awkward. Later models (2007+) did add the option to adjust the pedals electrically instead, but that introduces the potential for the motor to break too.

* Hard to hangar. The long, skinny wing is, well... Long. The wingspan is 39'6" and it is difficult to impossible to fit the DA40 into a standard 40' wide hangar.

* Hot. With the bubble canopy, there's quite a greenhouse effect when it's sunny. However, this is mitigated somewhat by a couple of things: On the ground, you can latch the canopy partway open for excellent ventilation (provided the engine is running). In the air, the vents pump a LOT of air into the cabin. However, it still sometimes isn't enough - But for those of you in warmer climates, there is an STC'd air conditioning system.

* Turbulence. The DA40 doesn't cut through turbulence as well as the 182, though they have similar wing loading. The long wing means that it'll catch a few extra bumps, and there's more of an arm on those that get caught by a wingtip. The bumps aren't sharp - It's more of a pitching, rolling movement - But there are definitely more of them, and they upset the aircraft more than the 182.

"Meh"s:
* Room. Some things are great - At 6'4" I fit in the back seat very easily due to the bubble-shaped fuselage, so the back seats are the most comfortable I've come across in GA. There are also holes under the front seats for your feet to fit in if you're in the back seat, and very strong handles to get in and out. Also, shoulder room is excellent, even wider than the 182. However, legroom is merely "OK" and headroom is a little tight, so it could be bad on a turbulent day.

* Noise. If it's a nice cold day, the DA40 is very quiet. However, if you need to open the vents, they create a LOT of noise. At least you get very good ventilation as well.

* Center stick. Great fun to fly, but passengers may not like it (especially if they're wearing a skirt/dress!), and you can't remove it.

Overall, though, the DA40 is one of the nicest airplanes around, certainly the nicest in its class. It does have its quirks as stated above, and some of those quirks are unusual compared to similar airplanes, but the cons are pretty easy to live with while the pros make the plane a real joy to fly.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said. If I had to choose between the DA40 and the 182 it would be tough. I think the extra payload in the 182 might make the difference, but the efficiency of the DA40 balances that out. The view out the canopy is as close to being on a flying carpet as I've gotten, and the controls (stick and pushrods) make the airplane very pilot-friendly. The DA40 is a terrific four-place airplane.

I looked at da40 xls before buying my T182T. I am very happy with my choice but I have a family of 4 and the da40 was not going to get the job done for me. Very nice plane though. I would compare it to the 172 more than the 182 with it's ability. I am also 6'4 and I just did not fit in it very well. They are very hot in the sun and need the A/C upgrade. If it was just me and the wife flying and I did not want a turbo I would have probably bought one.

Now when and if the Da50 comes out I will look at it very hard...

I looked at da40 xls before buying my T182T. I am very happy with my choice but I have a family of 4 and the da40 was not going to get the job done for me. Very nice plane though.

Yup - When there's a big load to haul, the DA40 is not the plane for the job. The 182, however, shines in that role. Luckily, my club has one of each so I can pick and choose based on that day's flight. :)

I would compare it to the 172 more than the 182 with it's ability.

Well... It hauls the same load on the same horsepower as the 172 (SP or one with a 180hp upgrade) but it goes faster than the 182.

I am also 6'4 and I just did not fit in it very well.

I'm going to find out how well I fit in it for a really long trip next week. I am glad that we ended up with one that had the canopy replaced, because we now have one with an XLS canopy (extra headroom). While I do fit in the regular canopy airplanes, I was going to get a Mach1 or similar in-ear headset for the DA40, but with the big canopy my Lightspeed 20-3G's fit OK.

I look forward to flying the DA40 at Gaston's (bet it's already reserved, right?), but I have high expectations based upon my experience with the DA20-C1 I used to fly. Looks to me like there is some exceptional engineering and thoughtful design there. A fine package.

Yup - When there's a big load to haul, the DA40 is not the plane for the job. The 182, however, shines in that role. Luckily, my club has one of each so I can pick and choose based on that day's flight. :)

Well... It hauls the same load on the same horsepower as the 172 (SP or one with a 180hp upgrade) but it goes faster than the 182.

I'm going to find out how well I fit in it for a really long trip next week. I am glad that we ended up with one that had the canopy replaced, because we now have one with an XLS canopy (extra headroom). While I do fit in the regular canopy airplanes, I was going to get a Mach1 or similar in-ear headset for the DA40, but with the big canopy my Lightspeed 20-3G's fit OK.

The larger canopy is a must for bigger people. It is wider by a few inches as well which is where I can tell the diff. My 182 may be a little faster but I burn 3-4 more gph to get those speeds so a bad trade off. I get about 142 at 13.8 gph at 8000ft but about 150 at 16000 at same fuel burn. That is a extra $20 a hour for fuel.

The da50 with turbo, brs, pressurized will be the perfect plane for me.

Last edited:
I was seeing 145 KTAS on the DA40XLS - and I regularly see 140 KTAS on our older DA40 with a few thousand hours on it and the corresponding decay.

I have seen 148 KTAS on a recent 182 - the newer wheel fairings do make a big difference and I think the nose was cleaned up too.

I'm with Tim. I saw about 145 in the DA40XLS which I have about 50 hrs in. And then about 300 hrs in new 182s. about 146 in the non turbos, and about 158 in the turbos.

We're gonna have to do a Midwest lunch here soon so I can check it out.

I was seeing 145 KTAS on the DA40XLS - and I regularly see 140 KTAS on our older DA40 with a few thousand hours on it and the corresponding decay.

I have seen 148 KTAS on a recent 182 - the newer wheel fairings do make a big difference and I think the nose was cleaned up too.

I could get about 140 knots of out an XL with out the wheel pants, but the FBO would never put the pants on, because they were afraid they would get broken due to training.

I don't like the joystick on the pax side. If you could fold it down, or detach it, then I would like it better.

AFA the DA50, the mockup they had at AOPA Hartford (2007?) was swank.

If i were choosing between the DA40 and 182 (which I did), I would go with the 182 hands down.

I was about to post a message on the relative merits of the DA40 in another thread, but I figured I'd just start a new one here.

Great writeup!

* Hard to hangar. The long, skinny wing is, well... Long. The wingspan is 39"6' and it is difficult to impossible to fit the DA40 into a standard 40' wide hangar.

I don't see the problem here. 39 inches + 6 feet is only 9 feet 3 inches. Why are you having trouble putting that in a 40' wide hangar? :idea: :cheerswine:

I also considered a DA40 as a replacement for my Turbo Arrow, and I have about 20 hours or so in an older (non glass) rental DA40. I pretty much concur with the writeup regarding it's strengths and weaknesses. Some of my own observations:

Hits - all of them have pretty much been addressed. It's very efficient, and has a very decent cruise speed for a fixed gear airplane.

Misses:

Castering nosewheel - I really like standard steering nosewheels much better than castering nosewheels. You have to use the brakes a lot, and taxi at high speeds to get any rudder steering. I think taildraggers are easier to maneuver on the ground personally. Pushing it backwards was a special challenge but I got used to it. I'm sure there are people that really like it, I don't know.

Composite toughness - the DA40 I flew had cracks at the rear canopy hinge points. It was kept outdoors but I would question how the sun would affect it over time. I view it as an indoor toy when not flying.

Cramped cockpit - probably not much you can do about that and maybe it's a tradeoff. I really, really like the stick controls, but they are far enough back in the seat that it makes it nearly impossible to lay out a chart and kneeboards get in the way. No deal killer, I could work around things.

Rudder authority - seems like it could use a little more rudder both for maneuvering and for slips.

Hot running engine - on hot days (100+ degrees) it was very difficult to find a power/mixture combination that would keep CHT's below 400 degrees. Probably due to smallish cooling intakes. Also, probably for the same reason, the engine wouldn't idle decently below about 1200 rpm, it would just die. Running the fuel pump on the ground helped, and that plane went through a lot of fuel pumps. I don't know if that is a characteristic of DA40's, or there was just something wrong with that particular plane.

That said, I would happily buy one if I found one at the right price. Newer ones seem to go for a bit of a premium, compared to other similar year airplanes of the same class (I would consider 172's and Archers to be equivalent airplanes.)

Castering nosewheel - I really like standard steering nosewheels much better than castering nosewheels. You have to use the brakes a lot, and taxi at high speeds to get any rudder steering. I think taildraggers are easier to maneuver on the ground personally. Pushing it backwards was a special challenge but I got used to it. I'm sure there are people that really like it, I don't know.

Early Bonanzas had castering nosehweel. I have about 120 hours in a 1947 model and i soon grew to love the castering wheel -- very easy to manuever once you figure it out.

Taildraggers are easier, but ease sometimes adds challenges. :dunno:

I'm with Tim. I saw about 145 in the DA40XLS which I have about 50 hrs in. And then about 300 hrs in new 182s. about 146 in the non turbos, and about 158 in the turbos.

Yes, the XL/XLS models are faster with the landing gear mods, PowerFlow, etc. They were actually supposed to have winglets, but Diamond ended up giving early buyers a refund on them after some kind of certification issue... (And/or they didn't help much anyway!)

I flew a 2006 182, it got 140 KTAS on 12.9 gph.

I don't like the joystick on the pax side. If you could fold it down, or detach it, then I would like it better.

Especially if the front-seat passenger is wearing a skirt. ;) Good point, though...

AFA the DA50, the mockup they had at AOPA Hartford (2007?) was swank.

Yeah... And you know my favorite saying - "You can live in an airplane, but you can't fly a house." That sucker had a MASSIVE baggage area. I think I could sleep back there without even folding the rear seats down! (I could sleep in the DA40, but I'd have to fold the seats down.)

Misses:

Castering nosewheel - I really like standard steering nosewheels much better than castering nosewheels. You have to use the brakes a lot, and taxi at high speeds to get any rudder steering.

When Diamond certified the long-range tanks, they made the rudder much larger (probably a spin recovery thing, with 10 gallons of fuel WAY out near the end of those long wings, a long arm from the CG). The large rudder is standard on all DA40's now. On ours, I can make the wider turns and keep it on the centerline without any brake, given about 1200 RPM. If you manage the speed well by reducing the RPM when you don't want to turn, you can make it pretty much the whole way to the runway without any brake.

I know of at least one person who purchased a large rudder from an accident salvage and had it put on theirs...

Pushing it backwards was a special challenge but I got used to it.

You pretty much need the towbar to push it backwards, as I would imagine is true with any castering-nosewheel airplane. Or, you can push down on the tail to lift the nose and move it that way.

The nice thing is, the sucker turns on a dime! :)

Composite toughness - the DA40 I flew had cracks at the rear canopy hinge points.

Yup - There's an SB out for that, probably soon to be an AD. The rear door has an oleo strut to hold it open when unlatched, and over time that put some pressure on the hinges and cracked some of the old ones.

Cramped cockpit - probably not much you can do about that and maybe it's a tradeoff.

Cramped? I'm 6'4" and 300# and I find it to be pretty comfortable. It's actually wider than the 182 at shoulder level. Legroom is adequate, headroom is probably where it's the tightest, but I have more problems with headroom in most Bonanzas/Barons than I do in the DA40. Cramped, it is not.

Rudder authority - seems like it could use a little more rudder both for maneuvering and for slips.

Also addressed with the large rudder.

Hot running engine - on hot days (100+ degrees) it was very difficult to find a power/mixture combination that would keep CHT's below 400 degrees. Probably due to smallish cooling intakes. Also, probably for the same reason, the engine wouldn't idle decently below about 1200 rpm, it would just die.

Weird - I wonder if something was adjusted improperly? I've found that the cooling works really well, but I haven't had it in any really hot weather yet (just got it at the beginning of October.) However, even in a high-power climb, I have not yet gotten the CHT's above 380 - And I mean never. I have the data log from the G1000 to prove it! (Man, that's gonna settle a lot of things... :rofl:) We'll see how it works when I head to Texas in a few days...

Also, ours runs smoothly all the way at idle... That's why I'm wondering if the one you flew wasn't quite right somehow...

Running the fuel pump on the ground helped, and that plane went through a lot of fuel pumps. I don't know if that is a characteristic of DA40's, or there was just something wrong with that particular plane.

No, the Dukes boost pump used in the DA40 is notoriously unreliable. So much so, that the owners group is talking about getting an STC for a better one. However, Dukes supposedly recently started shipping a "revision B" pump that should be better. Ours was preemptively replaced at the last annual about 2 months before we bought it, so no problems so far.

That said, I would happily buy one if I found one at the right price. Newer ones seem to go for a bit of a premium, compared to other similar year airplanes of the same class (I would consider 172's and Archers to be equivalent airplanes.)

I missed the part about acquisition cost...

Hmmm... For the new XLS models, it's somewhere in the $300K's. But, I can't tell you exactly, because Diamond's aircraft builder site is currently undergoing maintenance.

Used ones range from the low $100K's for an older steam-gauge model to nearly $300K for a new-ish XLS model.

Ours, with a hair less than 700 TTAF/E, G1000, KAP140 autopilot, premium interior, extended baggage, XM datalink, etc. cost $160K, which I think is a pretty good deal.

I don't see the problem here. 39 inches + 6 feet is only 9 feet 3 inches. Why are you having trouble putting that in a 40' wide hangar? :idea: :cheerswine:

:rofl: Oops. I fixed that, and edited the OP to incorporate some of the concerns raised in this thread.

>When Diamond certified the long-range tanks, they made the rudder much larger (probably a spin recovery thing, with 10 gallons of fuel WAY out near the end of those long wings, a long arm from the CG). The large rudder is standard on all DA40's now. On ours, I can make the wider turns and keep it on the centerline without any brake, given about 1200 RPM. If you manage the speed well by reducing the RPM when you don't want to turn, you can make it pretty much the whole way to the runway without any brake.

That's good to know. I would not get one without long range tanks anyway.

>You pretty much need the towbar to push it backwards, as I would imagine is true with any castering-nosewheel airplane. Or, you can push down on the tail to lift the nose and move it that way.

Yeah although I found you could finesse it a bit and track the nosewheel in a fashion similar to backing a trailer.

>Cramped? I'm 6'4" and 300# and I find it to be pretty comfortable. It's actually wider than the 182 at shoulder level. Legroom is adequate, headroom is probably where it's the tightest, but I have more problems with headroom in most Bonanzas/Barons than I do in the DA40. Cramped, it is not.

Well, I should probably worded that differently. I don't feel cramped in that respect, it's just that is a shortage of lap space due to the location of the stick. On the other hand, I like the location of the stick from a control standpoint. That's more important.

>Weird - I wonder if something was adjusted improperly? I've found that the cooling works really well, but I haven't had it in any really hot weather yet (just got it at the beginning of October.) However, even in a high-power climb, I have not yet gotten the CHT's above 380 - And I mean never. I have the data log from the G1000 to prove it! (Man, that's gonna settle a lot of things... :rofl:) We'll see how it works when I head to Texas in a few days...

Possibly. But it does get wicked hot here in the Summer. Most of my flying has been on 105 degree days. I only had a problem on the very hottest days.

>Also, ours runs smoothly all the way at idle... That's why I'm wondering if the one you flew wasn't quite right somehow...

I'm sure that might be the case but also the three bladed MT wooden prop had very little rotational mass. Do you have the two bladed Hartzell? I wonder if that could have something to do with it (reduced flywheel effect.)

P.S. sorry I don't know how to do the split-quote thing.

That's good to know. I would not get one without long range tanks anyway.

Be sure you check the weight & balance. I had heard that the ones with long range tanks had issues with aft CG, and there is a ballast kit available that bolts a bunch of weights to the engine to help with CG, but that just uselessly eats up your useful load. This is more of a problem on the composite-prop birds. On ours, we lucked out - I actually have more issues with forward CG on it, but they're easily solved by throwing my 15-lb or so flight bag in the rear baggage compartment if necessary.

I'm sure that might be the case but also the three bladed MT wooden prop had very little rotational mass. Do you have the two bladed Hartzell? I wonder if that could have something to do with it (reduced flywheel effect.)

Probably - We've got the 2-blade metal Hartzell, which is really the prop to get these days. It's smoother, helps with CG on the long-range birds, has better performance, and is required if you want the PowerFlow exhaust. Nothing inherently wrong with an MT prop, and I've been reasonably impressed with them on other planes, but it's not the best prop for the DA40.

P.S. sorry I don't know how to do the split-quote thing.

Just put what you're quoting inside [ quote ] quoted stuff [ /quote ] tags, without the spaces inside the brackets. There's also a little "quote box" button on top of the editing window, you can select the text you want to quote and then click that button and it'll add the tags for you.

Probably - We've got the 2-blade metal Hartzell, which is really the prop to get these days. It's smoother, helps with CG on the long-range birds, has better performance, and is required if you want the PowerFlow exhaust. Nothing inherently wrong with an MT prop, and I've been reasonably impressed with them on other planes, but it's not the best prop for the DA40.

For sure, I'd want nothing to do with the MT prop on a DA40. One of the rental birds I was flying significantly in the past year went from a MT 3 blade to the Hartzell 2 blade. That was worth right at 10 knots in cruise speed, with nothing else changed.

Be interesting to see what it would be like with the 230 HP SMA and clipped wings.

I think you'd have to make it a retract at that point.

Experimental R&D developing data for the STC, guys fly around like that for decades.

Back