Diamond DA20C1

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
This is the next plane I'm getting checked out in. It's cheaper than renting the four seaters that are nearby, yet according to the plane's w&b info at Wings Field, capable of comfortably lifting my wife and I, plus full fuel. We won't be using this plane for long trips, just a cheaper alternative for me to build some time in, and take turns flying her and Sean around. Plus, it's a cool looking plane :)

Any hints, tips, pattern speeds, etc., would be appreciated, though Wings does provide it's own materials.

Off on a bit of a tangent:

My first use will be to go fly circles around Cathy's pre-school on Monday the 25th, with Sean sitting right seat. Her school is having aviation month, and she's put together some killer materials and classes. She says the kids will love seeing me circle the school, and she's planning to borrow a handheld tranceiver so I can say hi to them. She says they've gotten a kick out of watching the videos she's shot of my landings :) I hope so... I'm going to be a little high, and just buzzing around in circles. Not exactly putting on an airshow. But kids can be easily amused, so we'll see. I'm going to have to have her log on here and post a list of all the folks that have sent her information and goodies. It's an impressively long list, and the folks deserve a public thank you, IMHO. Besides, I think she'll like this board. She tried the other one, but decided it wasn't for her after a bit.

Joe-

You'll love it. And you might be surprised at how useful it could still be for trips, especially by yourself. It gets pretty good speed for not much power.

Flaps on takeoff (routinely); don't forget to take 'em out. You'll love the light control forces and the natural way the plane flies.

You'll hate (with a passion) the way you cannot have the canopy open while taxiing, on a hot day (perhaps less of a problem where you live, but in an interminable lineup on a hot Addison day, one simply bakes).

First time you'll have a "spar temperature" checklist item (look at the dot between the seats). Never was an issue on the hottest summer day in Dallas, guess it might matter in the Sahara or something like that.

I really enjoyed flying the ones which used to be at my favorite FBO, now the only ones on field are more money than they are worth. I bet you'll have fun, I sure did.

Joe,

The CFI I use down here flew one from Texas to Canada to have something done at the factory.

He said it was a great plane to fly, but pretty slow for such a long trip.

bill

Joe, they are fun to fly airplanes. I did my private in one, just don't take any long trips in it or you may need a crane to get you out. The seats become severely uncomfortable after a couple of hours. My long cross-countries were literally a pain in the butt. Cruised around 110 kts at 75%, my book shows normal landing with full flaps at 52 kts. Vy-75kts, Vx-60kts both with no flaps and Vy-68kts, Vx-57 with T/O flaps.
Have Fun!!
Don

Although you won't be flying IFR, be aware that some controllers may not be familiar with a "Diamond" being a single engine prop. Historically a "Diamond" has been a Mitsubishi Jet. Couple that with the identifier of the Diamond aircraft (DA20) are similar to the former jet identifiers. Falcon jets were DA10, DA20, the Beech Jet is BE40. When the one of the first Diamond's was on arrival to MDW they were assigned something like 160 'til the marker (standard for IFR jets). Both the arrival controller and the tower thought they were jets, until the tower saw this little single engine trying to slow down, and being overtaken by an air carrier on final. Not really a big deal, but if a controller starts assigning things that might not normally be assigned to small single engine aircraft, you might discretely mention that you are not a jet.

mdreger said:
Although you won't be flying IFR, be aware that some controllers may not be familiar with a "Diamond" being a single engine prop. Historically a "Diamond" has been a Mitsubishi Jet. Couple that with the identifier of the Diamond aircraft (DA20) are similar to the former jet identifiers. Falcon jets were DA10, DA20, the Beech Jet is BE40. When the one of the first Diamond's was on arrival to MDW they were assigned something like 160 'til the marker (standard for IFR jets). Both the arrival controller and the tower thought they were jets, until the tower saw this little single engine trying to slow down, and being overtaken by an air carrier on final. Not really a big deal, but if a controller starts assigning things that might not normally be assigned to small single engine aircraft, you might discretely mention that you are not a jet.

Yep, BTDT. Controllers used to comment that a DA20 came up as a Falcon. Then I found out the designator when filling a flight plan is DV20
No more problems after that.
Don

Once you fly a stick, the yoke just doesn't seem right anymore. Boy I wish somebody in Connecticut would rent one.

Joe: Why don't you save some $$ and wait until the end of the month when they get the new DA40 in and get checked out in that? If you get checked out in the DA20 now you will have to have another checkout in the DA40. If you get checked out in the 40 it will be good for the 20 as well.

AdamZ said:
Joe: Why don't you save some $$ and wait until the end of the month when they get the new DA40 in and get checked out in that? If you get checked out in the DA20 now you will have to have another checkout in the DA40. If you get checked out in the 40 it will be good for the 20 as well.

Well, for one thing I didn't know they were getting a DA40 in :) I'm glad to hear it, I've been wanting to fly one to see what it is like. It will be interesting to compare it to the Tiger. But, I need an airplane on the 25th, and am primarily looking for a cheaper alternative to the Tiger for when I don't need a four seater. I'm guessing right now that they are going to charge more for the DA40 than I'll want to pay, what with the Tigers and Skyhawks available to me.

Joe:

You are right about the rental differential for the DA20 vs. DA40. At MTN the rental rates are $77.90 and $114.00. I have flown them both; the DA40 is far the better of the two.

I like everything about them save for the seats; you can't adjust them (only the brake distance is adjustable). The plane of the seat backs are tilted back more then I like prefer (I have a "bad" back).

The Eclipse/Evolution is a cramped little airplane, but if you can get into a
C-152 and have a good back, it is a fun toy.

Tony

Last edited:
Back