Diamond DA-40XL - Flight report

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
I've been talking about doing it for at least a month now. Today, finally, I dragged my lazy (and cheap) butt down to Chesapeake Regional (KCPK) and got my first Diamond experience.

Holy crap!!!!

What an airplane! I sat in and gawked at a DA-40 three or four years ago when we had one in the shop when I was a lineman at Hap's. It was a beautiful sight then, and even better now as PIC. Those seats are more comfortable than some of the hotel beds I stay in! The visibility out of the green house is astounding; the controls are light and responsive, but not too touchy (though it is a little more touchy than I was ready for); and the 180HP engine tied to that sleek three-bladed prop is a solid performer through every phase of flight. And the G-1000...we hardly got into everything it can do, but it's at least as capable as the Universal UNS-1 that we have in the Q-400. The only thing it's missing is the alpha-numeric keypad for data entry.

After a quick walk around we fired it up and taxied over to the gas pumps. This is the first plane I've ever flown with a castering nose wheel. At normal taxi speeds the lack of nose steering is negligible, but it took a little getting used to for low speed maneuvering. Put 40 gallons on-board then taxied out to 23 for takeoff. We taxied behind a Symphony SA-160, also a neat looking airplane, owned by the same FBO. Just before leaving the ramp the right door popped open and the CFI stepped out...somewhere in Virginia we have a new aviator in our midst today.

I couldn't have asked for a better day to fly. AWOS was calling 230@6, 10 miles, clear below 12,000, 13/-4, 30.30. A quick runup and it was onto 23 for departure. A short takeoff run and a quick climb to 2,500 put us over the south eastern practice area. CFI Mike gave me some pointers on the G-1000, then put me through the normal steep turn and stall series. That thing didn't seem to want to stay in a tight turn, but I managed to maintain +-40 feet and roll out spot on my original heading without too much effort. Slow flight and stalls were a non-event; that plane makes everything easy.

The ILS 5 brought us back into the pattern for a circle-to-land on runway 23, followed by three touch-and-goes. My first two landings were surprisingly good. On the third I slightly misjudged the massive float and tried to force it onto the thousand footers. It wasn't horrible, but I found the bounce-ability of the Diamond's stiff gear. Once more around the patch for good measure and I got my sign off. 1.2 hrs in the air and about 2 hrs on the ground...not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

Driving home I wanted nothing more than to turn around and go back to the airport, but I figured the wife and the bank account wouldn't appreciate that too much. Oh well, there's always next week!

Hey, didn't you know you're not allowed to play with toy airplanes anymore?? You're a professional now!!!!!!!!!!
:D

Nice writeup.

If the DA-40 had about 6 more inches of legroom, I'd want one. I was checked out in one, but the knee room is just not there for me, and my big feet kept getting hung up on the rudder pedal frame. Quite a view, though.

I earned my PPL in a Symphony. It's a fun plane, 160hp Lycoming, center stick, and dual Garmin 430s. Very straight forward.

I also just flew a DA40Xl last Saturday. Holy crap! What a plane!!! 156 kts over the ground- absolute comfort, flies like a dream, the glass cockpit is ultra-cool...the best part: visibility! All the benefits of a low wing, but the wings are behind you so you can still see down at the ground. Man...what a plane!

I want one. Bad.

The DA40 is an awesome plane. I have owned 2 and am looking to get another. Right now its between a brand new 2008 DA40XLS that I can pickup at the factory or one of two older models (one w/glass, one steam).

Can someone post the specs or lead me to a link on the DA40 and DA40 XLS. Cruise, service ceiling, fuel burn, usefull load, payload etc?

Last edited:
I'll try to remember to pull out my PIM and look it up. Other than fuel burn (ballpark 10gph), what are you looking for that you didn't see on the specs pages? (Note that my PIM is from one of the earlier models, abt 2002, IIRC). BTW, their PIMs are pretty bad.

If the DA-40 had about 6 more inches of legroom, I'd want one. I was checked out in one, but the knee room is just not there for me, and my big feet kept getting hung up on the rudder pedal frame. Quite a view, though.

I earned my PPL in a Symphony. It's a fun plane, 160hp Lycoming, center stick, and dual Garmin 430s. Very straight forward.

I did have trouble with my foot hitting the pedal frame. At once point I thought I was at full rudder deflection, then I moved my foot and suddenly had a lot more to give. The leg room was fine, though. I'm 6'3", I just put the pedals at the forward stop and I was ok. Maybe I'm just used to being crammed into small cockpits now :rofl:.

HolySchott said:
I also just flew a DA40Xl last Saturday. Holy crap! What a plane!!! 156 kts over the ground- absolute comfort, flies like a dream, the glass cockpit is ultra-cool...the best part: visibility! All the benefits of a low wing, but the wings are behind you so you can still see down at the ground. Man...what a plane!

I want one. Bad.

We never flew in a straight line long enough for me to see what it's cruise performance was like, but I hear it does really really well! I'm planning on taking my parents flight-seeing when they come to town this week and I was a little worried about the downward visibility from that thing...it's astounding! Any idea how it is from the back seat, though, I didn't sit back there? It's tough not to not try and go "liberate" the plane from its current hangar, isn't it :D.

Teller,

I toldja you'd love it. :yes:

You were right! It's been a little over two years since I last flew a piston single...this thing was worth the wait! I'm trying to remember who all recommended the Diamond, I know you and Tony, Jesse, and I think Chris and Ken both gave it high praise. Maybe you guys are smarter than you look. :p

flyersfan31 said:
Hey, didn't you know you're not allowed to play with toy airplanes anymore?? You're a professional now!!!!!!!!!!
:D

It's funny...it was pretty clear that my CFI had been doing almost entirely initial students. He kept catching himself, starting with the walk-around - "...and this is the rudder, it...you know what a rudder is."

I'll try to remember to pull out my PIM and look it up. Other than fuel burn (ballpark 10gph), what are you looking for that you didn't see on the specs pages? (Note that my PIM is from one of the earlier models, abt 2002, IIRC). BTW, their PIMs are pretty bad.

Service Ceiling
Cruise Speeds and fuel burn at various power settings
Typical real world usefull load

I wear a pair of "old school" Converse one-star sneakers (think keds) when I fly the Diamonds, because my normal footwear is too wide and I have the same problem others have noted. I also wish I had another inch or two of legroom (I think the XLS might, it seemed to when I flew one) but it's not uncomfortable, even on longer flights.

It's a great airplane but does want to wobble around a bit in turbulence, due to those long wings. It gives you great fuel economy for a fixed gear airplane, and the price of a new one is a good value.

Thanks Grant. Yeah I saw those too, but it doesn't contain somr of the info I am looking for like:

Service Ceiling
Cruise Speed
Fuel Burn

Anthony,

Service ceiling is 16,400'. Fuel burn is going to be around 10gph (180hp, injected).

Cruise speeds have improved over time. The earliest models (2001-02) are in the 135 knot range (and are a bit shy on legroom). The 2003-2006 DA40 and later DA40CS models will do 140 knots, while the DA40XL and DA40XLS models will get 155 knots (the marketing stats say something like 160+ - The numbers I'm giving you are real-world numbers).

For the most part, the 2003 and prior models have steam gauges and Garmin avionics while the 2004 and later have the G1000. Diamond did offer more options than anyone else, though - For a while, you could get steam gauges with either Garmin or King, or glass with either the G1000 or the Avidyne. I've flown a DA40's with steam/King, steam/Garmin, and G1000. They only built one DA40 with Avidyne, and I saw it for sale on one of the used sites at one point.

The vast majority of the steam-gauge DA40's have a 530, a 430, a KAP 140 autopilot, and the premium interior package with leather seats and extended baggage compartment. The planes that have less than this configuration tend to not hold their value as well.

The glass DA40's that aren't XL/XLS/CS tend to have the KAP 140 autopilot and premium interior, while the XL/XLS included the premium interior and Garmin GFC 700 autopilot by default.

{/DA40BrainDump} ;)

BTW, their PIMs are pretty bad.

Why do you say that? I've found them to be average... Certainly nowhere near the worst I've seen.

If you want to download one, you can get on their web site http://www.diamondair.com/ and log in as a guest into "Owner's World" I think it's called, and there's a ton of documentation available in there. If you can't find it, PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a copy.

I'm planning on taking my parents flight-seeing when they come to town this week and I was a little worried about the downward visibility from that thing...it's astounding! Any idea how it is from the back seat, though, I didn't sit back there?

Do you mean downward visibility, or the overall experience? Downward vis won't be nearly what it is from the front seat, but still better than you'd get in a more traditional low-wing plane.

Comfort, however, is amazing. *I* fit in the back seat of a DA40 comfortably, and I'm 6'4" 300#. Best back-seat comfort of any GA single I've been in.

Typical real world usefull load

Ah, forgot this in my brain dump. It's supposed to have a full-fuel payload (with the 40-gal tanks) of around 660 lbs. Not too shabby, and best-in-class of sub-200hp singles currently in production. 2003 and older models had a lower landing weight (137lbs under gross IIRC) but that's gone with the newer ones, and I think you can do a retrofit to remove the landing weight from the old ones.

There is a pretty good owner's group, if you're interested, join them and get on their forums. I've been a member on and off.

THANKS Kent!!! Great information. Just what I was looking for. Its a plane I've always been interested in. Kind of mirrors the performance of the Tiger in a newer, updated package with modern avionics already installed. Well, the XLS if it goes 155 KTAS definetly exceeds the Tiger and puts it more into M20J range. I think my Tiger has a bit more usefull load. Apples to apples with 40 gallons of fuel, I've got 710 lbs. If I go with full fuel, 51 gallons, it drops to 644.

Looks like a really nice plane. I have sat in them and didn't feel cramped, but I'm only 6' tall.

Last edited:
I wear a pair of "old school" Converse one-star sneakers (think keds) when I fly the Diamonds, because my normal footwear is too wide and I have the same problem others have noted. I also wish I had another inch or two of legroom (I think the XLS might, it seemed to when I flew one) but it's not uncomfortable, even on longer flights.

It's a great airplane but does want to wobble around a bit in turbulence, due to those long wings. It gives you great fuel economy for a fixed gear airplane, and the price of a new one is a good value.

Uh, oh. Just when I was thiking this looked gret. I think my EEEs would be problem no matter what kind of shoes I wore. :D

As it is I have to pull my heels back on takeoff to stay clear of the brakes.

I'll try to remember to pull out my PIM and look it up. Other than fuel burn (ballpark 10gph), what are you looking for that you didn't see on the specs pages?
Looks like Kent got you all squared away. Some of that was on the spec sheets at the URLs I posted, but you needed to scroll down.

BTW, their PIMs are pretty bad.
Why do you say that? I've found them to be average... Certainly nowhere near the worst I've seen.
It's been a couple years since I really read the manual, but when I was looking for some of the numbers for our checkout sheet, I found them very difficult to find. And the emergency procedures section doesn't identify memory items. There's no explanatory/detailed section in the Normal procedures section as one finds in the new Cessna manuals.

Also note in the Post-flight Inspection section (4A.3.16) that "f the airplane is not operated for more that 5 days, the long-term parking procedure should be applied. [This] procedure is described in the Airplane Maintenance Manual (Doc. No 6.02.01) in Chapter 10." Now tell me, isn't it quite likely that there will be many instances when an airplane won't be flown for more than 5 days? Why, then, would you bury the information about how to prepare for that in ANOTHER manual? And yet they have a section on Road Transport? Also, they included a list of supplements but, unlike the Cessna manuals, didn't actually include the supplements. Maybe I just got spoiled by the later Cessna manuals. I certainly agree that this is loads better that, for example, the 1968 Cessna 210 manual (read: booklet)!

I did have trouble with my foot hitting the pedal frame. At once point I thought I was at full rudder deflection, then I moved my foot and suddenly had a lot more to give. The leg room was fine, though. I'm 6'3", I just put the pedals at the forward stop and I was ok. Maybe I'm just used to being crammed into small cockpits now :rofl:.

Uh, oh. Just when I was thiking this looked gret. I think my EEEs would be problem no matter what kind of shoes I wore. :D

As it is I have to pull my heels back on takeoff to stay clear of the brakes.

Missing the right rudder pedal was a little unnerving during my first touch and go. I also thought I was at full right rudder deflection, when in fact I was not. I'm 6'3" also and didn't have much headroom problem, my knees still hit the bottom of the panel.

Glad you had fun! The DA40 is probably the best trainer I've ever flown. Certainly a lot more fun than the Piper or Cessna.

-Felix

Back