Diamond Aircraft (Glider Wings)

LJS1993

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LJ Savala
In another discussion I noticed a reference being made to the design of the wings on the aircraft produced by Diamond. Termed as "glider wings" what effects do these type of wings have on this aircraft? Would these wings add any margin of safety with somewhat of a sacrifice with speed?

I think the term is used to describe the appearance and efficiency of the wing.

With a clean surface (no rivets) and a wide span, there is lots of lift to be had out of this wing.

I'm not able to speak to a "margin of safety without sacrifice of speed". I can share from my experience training in a DA20 that if you too fast on landing, you'll be floating in ground effect longer than you might want since that wing likes to fly.

Clean, high aspect ratio wings.

The advantage is the high efficiency of such a wing at GA speeds

Also Diamond built motorgliders before they started building airplanes

In another discussion I noticed a reference being made to the design of the wings on the aircraft produced by Diamond. Termed as "glider wings" what effects do these type of wings have on this aircraft? Would these wings add any margin of safety with somewhat of a sacrifice with speed?

Stall speeds and V speeds of a DA40 are close to that of a comparable fixed gear four seater like a 172 or an Archer so that isn't an issue, if that's what you're asking. Certainly a DA40 is more efficient. Climb rate is faster, cruise speeds are higher.

Climb rate is faster, cruise speeds are higher.

Having started my training in an older well used PA28-140 cherokee, I was really amazed at how much better the performance was on the DA20 with it's smaller engine. We easily out climbed the C150 that took off ahead of us on a warm day, and during my solo XC's it wasn't unusual to see speeds edging 130 KIAS. all on a 125hp motor...

They are aerodynamically clean high aspect ratio wings which increase their efficiency for a given wing loading ratio (pounds per square foot). The only real safety advantage is that at it's L/D Max it will give you a longer glide range. When I first checked out in a DA-20 and we did 'engine out' simulation, I was quite impressed with how far it would glide.

Having started my training in an older well used PA28-140 cherokee, I was really amazed at how much better the performance was on the DA20 with it's smaller engine. We easily out climbed the C150 that took off ahead of us on a warm day, and during my solo XC's it wasn't unusual to see speeds edging 130 KIAS. all on a 125hp motor...

And a fixed pitch prop, I'd love to see what one would do with that much power and a CS prop!

They are aerodynamically clean high aspect ratio wings which increase their efficiency for a given wing loading ratio (pounds per square foot). The only real safety advantage is that at it's L/D Max it will give you a longer glide range. When I first checked out in a DA-20 and we did 'engine out' simulation, I was quite impressed with how far it would glide.

I've owned a DA20 for nearly 10 years and I can tell you that it's an incredibly efficient wing. I routinely do dead-stick landings from 10-15 nm out just for grins. However, it's not a short-field (landing) plane, probably because the T-tail doesn't let you land slow. Overall, I'd have to say it's the best 2-seater ever built (speed, payload, safety, efficiency).

I've owned a DA20 for nearly 10 years and I can tell you that it's an incredibly efficient wing. I routinely do dead-stick landings from 10-15 nm out just for grins. However, it's not a short-field (landing) plane, probably because the T-tail doesn't let you land slow. Overall, I'd have to say it's the best 2-seater ever built (speed, payload, safety, efficiency).

Beg to differ, approach slow, slip if you need a steeper angle and it will land plenty short. It's no Supercub but still quite good

The downside for the DA40 is that the nearly 40' (39'6") wingspan is a tight fit in many GA hangars. There have been at least a few instances of wingtip damage at FBOs that are unfamiliar with the longer wingspan compared to your typical 4 seat SE aircraft.

The downside for the DA40 is that the nearly 40' (39'6") wingspan is a tight fit in many GA hangars. There have been at least a few instances of wingtip damage at FBOs that are unfamiliar with the longer wingspan compared to your typical 4 seat SE aircraft.

Yeah even on the ramp you have to watch it a bit closer than normal.

Margin of safety in an engine-out scenario is somewhat increased due to increased glide ratio.

However, there's not a hit in speed at all - In fact, compared to its competition (certified, fixed-gear 180hp singles) it's quite a bit faster. I plan on 140 KTAS in our 2006 DA40, some of the newer ones are even faster.

The "glider wing" is simply a high aspect ratio wing, very efficient. The only real drawback is as Gary states:

Harder to fit in a lot of hangars. But, with the $$$ you save on fuel you may well come out ahead in a bigger hangar anyway.

Back