Diamond 50 looks interesting

I dig it!! They are saying that has room for 7 people? Doesn't look that big.

Rookie pilots in a turboprop, hmm

No boots, or windshield heat, fixed gear, seems like a bit of a gimmick plane to me.

Last edited:
No boots, or windshield heat, fixed gear, seems like a bit of a gimmick plane to me.

Maybe it will be available with TKS.

I cant see why you would buy a fixed gear turboprop unless it is made for short/rough field operations

Last edited:
I dig it!! They are saying that has room for 7 people? Doesn't look that big.

2f90f01248e374ea8a3a360d4002c594.jpg

Cessna Caravan, Kodiak Quest, Twin Otter

Cessna Caravan, Kodiak Quest, Twin Otter

Pilatus Porter too.

All backcountry planes, that diamond isn't in the same league, heck its isn't even in the same sport.

It also doesn't look pressurized.

Seems like they just hung a turbine on it, to hang a turbine on it.

Never heard of "proof of concept" or prototype testing? Lot's of aircraft start out this way to prove/test several elements before moving on to the final design.

Here's one:

ArticleTwinBonanza6.jpg

The DA50 has been discussed by Diamond in four configurations I can identify:

Piston
Diesel
Pressurized
Turboprop

I sat in the mockup a few years ago...like in 2007-2008...:eek:

Nice plane...I am looking forward to seeing it get to market...

Last edited:
Pilatus Porter too.

All backcountry planes, that diamond isn't in the same league, heck its isn't even in the same sport.

It also doesn't look pressurized.

Seems like they just hung a turbine on it, to hang a turbine on it.

Think I read something about the CEO of Diamond pitching this for backcountry work in places like Africa. Can't remember for sure which article it was.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Think I read something about the CEO of Diamond pitching this for backcountry work in places like Africa. Can't remember for sure which article it was.

Perhaps right in the linked video where the captions say there will be two variants, one with beefed up unimproved ops landing gear and one without? LOL

The DA50 has been discussed by Diamond in four configurations I can identify:

Piston
Diesel
Pressurized
Turboprop

I sat in the mockup a few years ago...like is 2007-2008...:eek:

Nice plane...I am looking forward to seeing it get to market...

Yes... I have been following it for years too and agree the DA50 COULD be a nice plane. They don't seem to know what they want to do and/or have run out of money developing it further.

I would not be interested in the turboprop version that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You can't compare it to the caravan which is rugged and holds a lot. A turbine non-rugged small non-pressurized slow plane for probably well north of a million? :nonod::lol: Don't kid yourselves that this will be cheaper than that.

Now a diesel DA50 could be very interesting.

Instead of comparing this thing to Caravans and Otters, compare it to light twins, will make much more sense.

On Diamond's website they are claiming that the turbine they are using is 20% more efficient than competitive turbines, making it "more efficient" in the medium altitude range. I take that to mean somewhere in the 10K - 18K range.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I don't see that doing well over there.

It won't compete with a 206/210/208, I'd also imagine it's price tag will be within the range of a used 208, or a few 206s.

Back