Dial Calipers - Digital or Mechanical

I'm sure starrett took this into account when picking the materials used to make them. I don't want to just throw numbers around but I was under the impression these were upwards of $60,000.

I also don't think there would have been a 10deg difference. It is usually common practice to allow the part to cool before taking measurements. The bigger issues were warping when you release the part they would spring and measurements would be all over.

Any company that has the ability to machine 12 foot in diameter parts surely has more then just dial calipers to measure parts.... Most high end mills have laser measuring equipment coupled with IF sensors to read the temp of the part being machined and feed that info to software program to predict expansion / contraction rates to be able to deliver parts at the correct dimensions to the customer....

For working fabrication with I prefer digital because of the speed of zeroing for comparative measurements.

For working fabrication with I prefer digital because of the speed of zeroing for comparative measurements.

Hey look.....

Henning is back....

He must have figured out a way to cut off his house arrest ankle braclet...:D

Standard and Metric, no batteries, never has to be zeroed and, as previously pointed out, NOBODY will ever ask to "borrow" it.

DSCN3604.JPG

There are shops that won't let you use those anymore, both for time and error sake.

Any company that has the ability to machine 12 foot in diameter parts surely has more then just dial calipers to measure parts.... Most high end mills have laser measuring equipment coupled with IF sensors to read the temp of the part being machined and feed that info to software program to predict expansion / contraction rates to be able to deliver parts at the correct dimensions to the customer....

:rofl::rofl::rofl: You would think, but most big machining operations at a lot of shipyards are done on WWII vintage machines, sometimes even older. We used to call one yard Bedrock Boatworks.:lol:

You would be amazed, they actually started using a portable CMM faro arm. Last I knew it was less accurate than the calipers and had a host of other issues although I would imagine most were operator error. We are not talking about cnc machines although one had "tracer" capabilities. Before they built a building for the machine you would have to go out and shovel snow off the table.

Also they were not dial calipers LOL you really would have freaked out when we pulled out the Pie Tapes

Last edited:
3780d1210060032-input-vertical-boring-mill-verterans-sought-mvc-181f.jpg

This is almost identical to the machine I'm referring to. You operated it from a crows nest. I spent many hours in that nest.

These are the only ones I could find but these were the exact style however these are only 72"

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-28-20-53-02.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-28-20-53-02.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_2015-10-28-20-55-36.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-28-20-55-36.png
    355.4 KB · Views: 12
I like my Central dial indicating calipers. Easy to use and still going strong after 36 years.

My inexpensive dial caliper died. It seems to be slipping a gear internally. $9.95 down the tubes...

Anyway, I plan on buying a new set and expect to buy another mechanical unit, because it is a tool I use infrequently, and there is nothing like pulling out an infrequently used tool only to find a dead (and probably unique) battery that has leaked and corroded the battery retainer significantly.

Fixed that for ya! That's my experience, unfortunately. If you don't use it frequently you will find a chemical conspiracy cooking away in the battery box, causing you to hunt for your old mechanical tool anyhow....

Back