Diagnostic impression vs. diagnosis

N

Notsowrightbrother

Hello

Does “diagnostic impression” or conditions a clinician is looking into considered a “diagnosis” in the eyes of the FAA? Does that count for the “Have you ever” question? My doc has said I do not have any disorder he is officially diagnosing me with but has conditions listed under “diagnostic impression”.

A "diagnostic impression" is an inconclusive measure. The FAA won't like that if it is related to a condition of concern. So they will want it run to the ground for a formal diagnosis or clearance from the diagnosis as not actually being there. All of this should be done prior to applying for a medical to ensure as smooth a process as possible. Always better to show up prepared for the test than to have to re-attempt over and over.

Last edited:
Have that doctor append the record, that "Notsowrightbrother" DOES NOT HAVE the DIagnosis. This is IMPORTANT.

Tarde revisit here…

Thank you for your input!

What is a tactful approach of asking the doc to add this into my file and correct the record?

I’ve called his office and usually a front desk intern says I need to schedule an appointment. However since I’ve been out of his care for over three years I need to be reestablished as a new patient. The kicker is I moved out of his state and he can’t practice on out of state patients.

Am I just SOL here?

The notes are not just restricting my aviation medical, but also work deployment opportunities.

Also for clarity if he does note that I was not diagnosed with those conditions, I don’t have to list that those conditions on the medical—correct?

If the doctor is considering a diagnosis due to your symptoms, the FAA considers you have that diagnosis until the doctor shows them why he has ruled out that diagnosis. He has to tell the FAA why he no longer considers that diagnosis.

Have that doctor append the record, that "Notsowrightbrother" DOES NOT HAVE the DIagnosis. This is IMPORTANT.
In our EMR, inactivating the diagnosis doesn't permanently remove it from your record. That is a whole lot more work, and most physicians don't or won't take the time to go through the steps. I see patients with a 100 or so Dx from a recent admission- some are real, most were just tacked on by some consultant during the stay and aren't justified. So an FAA question of "have you ever..." seems problematic in this light.

Back