Diagnosed Alcohol Dependent in 2012 and now no diagnosis

bishop76

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bishop76
All,
I've wanted to be a pilot since I can remember but I've got some past issues that will likely hold this up:
- I was arrested and charged with OVUII in 2007--the charge was later dismissed
- I was assessed as alcohol dependent in 2012/2013--now known as alcohol use disorder moderate or severe
- I was assessed as not having an alcohol use since May 2018 by a psychologist, a licensed alcohol and drug abuse counselor and a mental health counselor but I am abstaining, getting tested twice a week (sometimes 3 times) and attend AA once a week.

Would the newer assessments make a difference? I've already emailed Dr. Bruce to get his take.

Dr. Bruce will come, but I suspect the FAA is going to want to have a HIMS psych confirm your sobriety.
Congratulations on getting some positive intervention. AA itself has a negligible effect.

Definitely, Dr. Bruce is your best resource. However, if you only have documentation of sobriety since May 2018 (two months ago), I suspect you are going to have a long wait before FAA will consider you for issuance.

Edit: or is there a missing word, "disorder", in that sentence? If so then still, FAA is probably going to want documentation of sobriety over an extended period (i.e. years).

Definitely, Dr. Bruce is your best resource. However, if you only have documentation of sobriety since May 2018 (two months ago), I suspect you are going to have a long wait before FAA will consider you for issuance.

Edit: or is there a missing word, "disorder", in that sentence? If so then still, FAA is probably going to want documentation of sobriety over an extended period (i.e. years).
if you have ever in your life been assessed as alcohol dependent, FAA requires intense rehab for any revenue grade medical certificate (and 90 AA meetings in 90 days, weekly group aftercare, etc etc).

And even if you beat a rap, it’s not about that. It’s about the 3 publically documented alcohol behaviors.

Either way you have the diagnosis. FAA has no use for alcohol use disorder mild/mederate/severe...and doesn't subscribe to the last 2 years only. Dsm 4 pertains, not DSM 5.

Third class is somewhat less, tough.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back