diabetic special issuance

S

sputnik

submitted all my required paperwork (I would think) on may 25th 23. They stated on the 20th of September that they require more information. Any one else a diabetic (type 1) that has gone through this process? also they said that I should receive the mail after 3 days of the 20th... you can all guess that hasn't happen. Anyways, appreciate it anyone has tips on this manner and if anyone know how long it actually takes to get the mail. Thanks

I’m type-2 and mine took about nine months from the original submission to getting my SI. That was several years ago, however.

I would be quite interested if the OP wanted to give details. afaik, The FAA allowing Type 1 as pilots is pretty new. Maybe four years now?

I would be quite interested if the OP wanted to give details. afaik, The FAA allowing Type 1 as pilots is pretty new. Maybe four years now?
Type 1's (First, second class) all go to AAM 200 in DC. It's a FOREVER wait. I have about a dozen now flying on it, and it's inefficient. I have had to update the cardiololgy aspects and the TIR aspects so that at the end of the wait, they don't say, "we're sorry this has taken so long, but submit updated information......"

sigh.

Type 1's (First, second class) all go to AAM 200 in DC. It's a FOREVER wait. I have about a dozen now flying on it, and it's inefficient. I have had to update the cardiololgy aspects and the TIR aspects so that at the end of the wait, they don't say, "we're sorry this has taken so long, but submit updated information......"

sigh.
So it’s different from type 2 then? type 2 don’t have to go through DC but type 1 has to? even though im just on one insulin and meet all range requirements. This system is something else

So it’s different from type 2 then? type 2 don’t have to go through DC but type 1 has to? even though im just on one insulin and meet all range requirements. This system is something else
That's how it is....
THEY have something you want.
It's THEIR airspace, ball, stadium and league. Congress gave it to them.
Mine is not to question why. It is only to fix it one at a time guy by guy.
(....and that includes ladies).

We've had the same experience. As a Type 1 diabetic, no matter how complete your initial package is, there is always at least one request for updated information before an application is approved. 6-9 months from the initial application is about the best I've seen.

I have a friend who was type 1 but had a transplant years ago and now is not a diabetic, how would my friend go about getting a medical (never applied for a medical)?

That would be on the "transplant" protocol. Here how it looks when the transplant is bone marrow.....

Attachments

• FASMB.Sickle Cell.pdf
    96.5 KB · Views: 56
Not that new. I held an SI (third class) for T1DM starting back around 2010. (And Dr. Bruce was the originator of mine, back in the day when he could get telephone approval for third class!) However, the SI for first and second class hasn't been around that long, could be the four years you're thinking of. The FAA seemed to move forward with advancements on this once CGM technology was proven and in common use.

However, the SI for first and second class hasn't been around that long, could be the four years you're thinking of.
I had not realized there was a difference here between the different classes of medicals in terms of Type 1. Interesting.

Back